First time snake owner Gen 4 in NY

Not a novice to high performance car game and actually Viper was my first "real" dream car(the one you think you eventually can afford if you take care of other bills, etc,) back in 1993 but I ended up getting Lotus S4. Lotus handling as my first car definitely spoiled me for life ))). Over years I had many pups in my stable including mildly moded 599 GTB, highly moded MClaren MP4 and even higher moded 996 GT2, some older highly moded AMGs, etc. So I'm very used to cars with no E-nannies, RWD and high HP. Wanted something American, something NA and something raw so I ended up getting 2008 Venom Metallic Red Roadster imported from Canada with 36K on it. It should be here next week. Since I always tinker with my toys I spent last few days on this fine forum filled with hard core enthusiasts and came up with some mild and hopefully tasteful mods I'm going to execute once I get car sorted out. As far as HP I'm going to stay in a bolt on camp. Heads and exhaust with thermal wrap with High flow cats of bypass if you can make it pass emissions, Gen V intake Mainfold and maybe Gen V cams. Probably K&N CAI although i have not found much info on it on Gen 4 and an underdrive pulley. Thinking about better LSD - they can give snake some civility. Torn between Quaife or Wavetrac but leaning to Quaife. Not sure about gear ratio, have to finish all the power mods first to determine appropriate gearing. Being a complete handling whore (GT2 with 3-way Motons and RSR spec suspension) definitely something is going to happened there(coilovers, delrine bushings, etc). Will be annoying all of you guys with bunch of questions just like I did to AMG, Porsche and McLaren communities. Decent audio system upgrade and maybe some exterior clean up. On outside I would like to generate some downforce, maybe not to ACR levels but some rear spoiler, front chins and maybe canards. Should be fun )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

My end goal is to have something which can be very nimble, fast enough for a streets/track and handle like a dream but still be civilized for a weekend cruise to the beach. Don't need over 700WHP(I understand what best I'll get this this mods and good tune is 600), I have 3 cars which can do it. Don't need it to be track star, have my gt2 for it. Want Snake to become a fun convertible to take a back roads with my honey, something more fun than my 2007 CLK 63 convertible (about 500-520 whp NA, KW Level 3 and Wavetrac LSD as well as some frame x-bracing) but rather civilized and sane.

Enthusiast
    Welcome to the VOA make sure you join up so you get the viper quarterly magazine, this is a great community and club. I would post your technical questions in the tech support forum on here or in the gen 3 and 4 forum for help decided and answering your questions. I would probably drive the car first and see how you like it, personally any viper even in stock form is a great drivers car! Especially for cruising with your honey! I would say you will find more picture taking and random folks coming up to you than your other cars.. sounds crazy but true, vipers have held a soft spot for folks rich or poor. You will not be able to go anywhere without your photo taken for sure! Post some pics of the car as well! Also make plans to make it to a VOA event and meet other viper owners! I highly reccomend the tail of the dragon with the southeast region, they get VOA members from Alaska that even attend that one. And NVE5 this Fall will be huge.

Enthusiast
    Welcome...and congrats on your new Viper !!

As laney487 pointed out, I would suggest that you hit the "Join" button and become a part of the VOA.

Next, I would duplicate this post in the Gen III -IV section as you will get more responses there.

You are going to enjoy this car !!

Enthusiast
    Good show !!!

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    Welcome. I see you're on the island. I'm sure you'll receive great information here from our extraordinarily knowledgeable members. One suggestion is to keep Chuck Tator's number handy for answers 914 763.3136. He's the site's tech director and is renowned for Viper information and work.

Best of luck!
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2022 BMW X5M Comp
    Resident Misanthrope

Enthusiast
    Congrats! I hope the snake checks all of your boxes.

It should. Amazing cars and one of my first "sweethearts"

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LCatGA View Post
    Not a novice to high performance car game and actually Viper was my first "real" dream car(the one you think you eventually can afford if you take care of other bills, etc,) back in 1993 but I ended up getting Lotus S4. Lotus handling as my first car definitely spoiled me for life ))). Over years I had many pups in my stable including mildly moded 599 GTB, highly moded MClaren MP4 and even higher moded 996 GT2, some older highly moded AMGs, etc. So I'm very used to cars with no E-nannies, RWD and high HP. Wanted something American, something NA and something raw so I ended up getting 2008 Venom Metallic Red Roadster imported from Canada with 36K on it. It should be here next week. Since I always tinker with my toys I spent last few days on this fine forum filled with hard core enthusiasts and came up with some mild and hopefully tasteful mods I'm going to execute once I get car sorted out. As far as HP I'm going to stay in a bolt on camp. Heads and exhaust with thermal wrap with High flow cats of bypass if you can make it pass emissions, Gen V intake Mainfold and maybe Gen V cams. Probably K&N CAI although i have not found much info on it on Gen 4 and an underdrive pulley. Thinking about better LSD - they can give snake some civility. Torn between Quaife or Wavetrac but leaning to Quaife. Not sure about gear ratio, have to finish all the power mods first to determine appropriate gearing. Being a complete handling whore (GT2 with 3-way Motons and RSR spec suspension) definitely something is going to happened there(coilovers, delrine bushings, etc). Will be annoying all of you guys with bunch of questions just like I did to AMG, Porsche and McLaren communities. Decent audio system upgrade and maybe some exterior clean up. On outside I would like to generate some downforce, maybe not to ACR levels but some rear spoiler, front chins and maybe canards. Should be fun )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

My end goal is to have something which can be very nimble, fast enough for a streets/track and handle like a dream but still be civilized for a weekend cruise to the beach. Don't need over 700WHP(I understand what best I'll get this this mods and good tune is 600), I have 3 cars which can do it. Don't need it to be track star, have my gt2 for it. Want Snake to become a fun convertible to take a back roads with my honey, something more fun than my 2007 CLK 63 convertible (about 500-520 whp NA, KW Level 3 and Wavetrac LSD as well as some frame x-bracing) but rather civilized and sane.
    Pics or you don't own a Viper.

Enthusiast
    Welcome to the club Leon and congratulations on the 2008 Venom Viper purchase. Make sure you get out to Snakes on the Mountain in PA coming up here in June. Matt, your regional president, should he able to get you the info on the event. Last year the PA team assembled over 60 Vipers from the surrounding states. The event is a Ford (GT's and Mustangs) vs Ferrari vs Viper event... Corvettes can come but cannot park with the cool kids, they have to park with the rest of the kids out back!

Quote Originally Posted by viperguy69 View Post
    Corvettes can come but cannot park with the cool kids, they have to park with the rest of the kids out back!
    What if I bring a really cool vet to the party?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e9Ww2hfjx8
    Would you let me park next to cool kids . And it got some new goodies including fully built engine and new Fuel system + EFI - we will be tuning it for 1600Hp

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LCatGA View Post
    What if I bring a really cool vet to the party?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e9Ww2hfjx8
    Would you let me park next to cool kids . And it got some new goodies including fully built engine and new Fuel system + EFI - we will be tuning it for 1600Hp
    Sorry but, no.

It's still just a really fast corvette but, 2 cylinders short of meeting the requirements to park with the cool kids.