Thread: Window issue

Window issue

My window was making a racket and then seemed to get stuck trying to come up so I figured the plastic bosses that keep the window in place broke and I ordered the Doug Shelby engineering upgrade fix. I pulled the door apart and even by hand I can’t move the window into place to fix it. It’s like the front portion is stuck and won’t slide up. Instructions said to disconnect the battery so there’s no power to try to do it electrically. Is this still just these plastic pieces or did the regulator fail and lockup? I’d rather not take the entire door apart if possible. Idk. Any thoughts?2D648E05-858C-4091-8901-604CB210E392.jpg7C8799E3-0080-4A1F-A4F7-B26B7C23B2D3.jpg43B03AEC-3A92-44BA-9750-B7258CA3A850.jpg

Enthusiast
    First question is did the plastic bosses actually break? If they did is it possible one of the bolts worked its way out enough to wedge against something?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    First question is did the plastic bosses actually break? If they did is it possible one of the bolts worked its way out enough to wedge against something?
    Yeah. It seems so. The two holes in the glass where they go are empty and I found one of the gaskets in the bottom of the door. It definitely feels like something is wedged or obstructing. But I can’t see or feel inside the door enough to find it. Do I just have to take the whole door apart? Or should I just accept it and take it to ViperExchange to fix it?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PkB2014 View Post
    Yeah. It seems so. The two holes in the glass where they go are empty and I found one of the gaskets in the bottom of the door. It definitely feels like something is wedged or obstructing. But I can’t see or feel inside the door enough to find it. Do I just have to take the whole door apart? Or should I just accept it and take it to ViperExchange to fix it?
    You are lucky that you are close to Viper Exchange. Can you use one of those telescoping mirrors to see inside the door? Maybe even one of those bore scope cameras.

Enthusiast
    You close to the woodlands? I’ve done the install before.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_lee View Post
    You close to the woodlands? I’ve done the install before.
    yeah, i'm close enough. i'll message you

Thanks

Enthusiast
    I just installed the DSE boss kit on my driver’s side over the weekend. Although I’m not local, I can try to help with any questions. Both of my OEM bosses were disintegrated on the black side, so I’m glad I upgraded them.

No need to disconnect the battery. I did it with it still plugged in and being able to move the window up and down was super helpful.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 98intrigue View Post
    I just installed the DSE boss kit on my driver’s side over the weekend. Although I’m not local, I can try to help with any questions. Both of my OEM bosses were disintegrated on the black side, so I’m glad I upgraded them.
    how hard was it to install the DSE kit on the window, did you have to remove the window? i'd like to avoid doing that if possible.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by blingnoring View Post
    how hard was it to install the DSE kit on the window, did you have to remove the window? i'd like to avoid doing that if possible.
    Here is the Cliff Notes version. Pretty straight forward. Lower the window so that at the highest point it is 6 inches above the door. This will position the bushings and associated bolts where you need them to be. Disconnect battery. I would leave car sit for 10 minutes or more if you have an airbag in the door (2015 and newer). Remove the door panel and associated wire connectors. You can leave the door handle cable attached just move the panel away from the door. You will have enough room.

Remember there is a hidden screw behind the SRS logo on 2015 and newer Vipers. There is a bolt that passes through the OEM plastic bushing and through the glass. There are two plastic bushings per window. The two parts of plastic bushing are reversed threaded by the way. Remove bolt, unscrew the two pieces of plastic bushing (righty loosey), assuming they already haven't fallen apart. Replace with DSE bushing. Repeat for the second bushing. Reinstall panel and battery cable, check window operation. You might want to have extra door panel clips on hand as it is easy to break one when you remove the door panel.

DSE supplies detailed instructions with pictures. You can download them on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by BSLSK View Post
    No need to disconnect the battery. I did it with it still plugged in and being able to move the window up and down was super helpful.
    Same here. Leave the battery connected so you can move your window when you need to get to the bolts.

Enthusiast
    Here is the Cliff Notes version. Pretty straight forward. Lower the window so that at the highest point it is 6 inches above the door. This will position the bushings and associated bolts where you need them to be. Disconnect battery. I would leave car sit for 10 minutes or more if you have an airbag in the door (2015 and newer). Remove the door panel and associated wire connectors. You can leave the door handle cable attached just move the panel away from the door. You will have enough room.

Remember there is a hidden screw behind the SRS logo on 2015 and newer Vipers. There is a bolt that passes through the OEM plastic bushing and through the glass. There are two plastic bushings per window. The two parts of plastic bushing are reversed threaded by the way. Remove bolt, unscrew the two pieces of plastic bushing (righty loosey), assuming they already haven't fallen apart. Replace with DSE bushing. Repeat for the second bushing. Reinstall panel and battery cable, check window operation. You might want to have extra door panel clips on hand as it is easy to break one when you remove the door panel.

DSE supplies detailed instructions with pictures. You can download them on their site.
    thank you sir!

Yeah, sounds like it should be straight forward. Something is obviously obstructing the glass from moving on mine. I'm gonna do the passenger side to get a better understanding of how the happy path is supposed to go, then i'll take another look at the issue with the driver side. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Figured it out. Thanks for all the help.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PkB2014 View Post
    Figured it out. Thanks for all the help.
    And?? What did you figure out?

And?? What did you figure out?
    when i read the instructions from DSE i understood it to roll the window down and disconnect the battery. and then move the window as needed. but the window won't move without power and mine wouldn't move but a couple inches before even with power. I just reconnected battery and window switch and had someone pull up on the window as i pushed up on the switch and it was able to move high enough to reach the holes in the glass. basically from there it's just your cliffs notes. still pretty tight squeeze for one of the holes, but doable with two people. So finished and it works fine. Now i'll do the speaker upgrade while i have it open and then do the passenger side.

Replace window regulators or use reinforcement kit while you're in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BSLSK View Post
    Replace window regulators or use reinforcement kit while you're in there.
    Yeah, this is good advice since when i went into the passenger door the regulator seems to be the only thing wrong. feels like it is going out, but i left it alone until it dies. I'll probably order a new one so i have it ready when it does die.

That aside, i finished the fixes and closed everything up and everything looks good, EXCEPT, the door lock switches aren't working. The keyfob is working fine and i can lock and unlock the car that way no problem. But the inside door switches don't work. Both doors stopped working before i touched the passenger side. I reopened the drivers side to make sure everything was connected properly but still nothing working. Maybe i blew a fuse or something, but not sure if it could be something else.

If anyone has ideas feel free to drop me a line. I haven't looked more into it since i can drive the car without them working for now, but i'd like to fix it at some point.