Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C8 ZO6

Enthusiast
    Looks like this thing may have some capability. Winkler actually ran a 2:40:02, but that was not a C&D Lightening Lap time. A 2:38:6 is pretty impressive in the hands of a magazine jockey. The Z06 is probably pretty easy to drive fast. Although I am still #1 in line at my local Chevy dealer, they didn't get any Z06's in the last allocation, and even if they had, it looks like the aero and Z07 packages are still on full constraint. I am not sure when (if) I will get my hands on one. I would like to do a real-world, same day/same tires comparison of the Z06 and ACR.

Lightening Lap Times 3.png

whats catching my eye in that list is the Cayman GT4 RS, wow!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevus View Post
    whats catching my eye in that list is the Cayman GT4 RS, wow!
    But 3 seconds slower than the ACR at the Ring. Was probably on Cup2Rs at lightening lap.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Looks like this thing may have some capability. Winkler actually ran a 2:40:02, but that was not a C&D Lightening Lap time. A 2:38:6 is pretty impressive in the hands of a magazine jockey. The Z06 is probably pretty easy to drive fast. Although I am still #1 in line at my local Chevy dealer, they didn't get any Z06's in the last allocation, and even if they had, it looks like the aero and Z07 packages are still on full constraint. I am not sure when (if) I will get my hands on one. I would like to do a real-world, same day/same tires comparison of the Z06 and ACR.

Lightening Lap Times 3.png

I'd say Winkler would be 3-4 seconds faster than a magazine jockey, maybe more with a factory effort. The magazine effort isn't going to be optimal conditions (early morning run), let alone days of alignment/air pressure adjustments. Not to mention rumors of punched out cats and other sneaky mods. We are talking 7-8 model years later and Chevy's best track effort they've ever done, of course it's going to be faster than the ol' ACR. Doing it 7-8 years later really doesn't mean much. Shit the GT3 has gained 20+ seconds in the last 8 years. LOL

Enthusiast
    Hmm. We have a confirmed second low mileage failure of the LT6, with rumors of a third. Of the 2 confirmed cases, both developed a ticking/knock followed by engine seizure. Both had misfire codes on all four cylinders on one bank. The first failure was at just over 50 miles, and the second at 621. You can see the last failure sequence on this video from 45 seconds to 1:30. https://youtu.be/eCfS12zAEKQ He claims to have completed a proper 500-mile break-in, and he wasn't really abusing the car. The oil temperature was only 154 degrees. Since misfire codes are generally the result of excess fuel at the catalytic converter, I suspect valve train issues - maybe valve springs or cam followers. Any thoughts?

Enthusiast
    At the risk of sounding like an apologist for GM, the failure rate is extremely low for the LT6. Over 1,000 Z06's built and 3 known failures. That's .3%. Hate to see any, but I don't believe it's indicative of widespread failures. These motors are hand built. Certainly fewer issues than the early Gen 5 Vipers had.

Enthusiast
    Another note I just saw on the article that the conditions were abnormally good (40* cool air, plus sun hitting the track as the day went on but staying cool. This would be worth around 3 seconds for me versus a hot day.

Enthusiast
    Cable liked this. Seems like the Z06 won't keep up with the McLaren 765LT. Go figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n1ih21fYqA

Enthusiast
    Anyone who thinks it would end up different is a fool. Props to the C8Z. Does well for what it is.

Corvette boys will say "Yeah but the Marc cost X amount more!" However, if it beats a more expensive car they beat their chest like Chris Brown beat Rhianna.

Enthusiast
    Bbbbut look at how much the Mac costs!!! Look at how many far more expensive cars it can beat!
    Just for you Stroker LOL.
    Simple: power to weight=predictable outcome. There is more to come from the Corvette Team. We are fortunate these cars exist. Won't be long before everything is plugged in.

Enthusiast
    The interesting thing here is how insanely sticky the Z06's tires are, which helps explain the crazy VIR time. It pulls more G's than the 600 pound lighter Mac on the already slicks sticky Trofeo R's.
    Chevy did this on the previous ZR1. The compound was so sticky Mercedes stole it for their GT-R

Enthusiast
    The Z is a seriously fast and capable car. Even though I'm not a C8 fan I can recognize it for how good it is.

Enthusiast
    Got the call today. Dealer got one allocation and it was for a Z07. My order went in and was accepted for production. 1LZ with Z07 and aero package, comp seats, and PDR. Perfect track car spec.

Enthusiast
    Got the call today. Dealer got one allocation and it was for a Z07. My order went in and was accepted for production. 1LZ with Z07 and aero package, comp seats, and PDR. Perfect track car spec.
    Congrats Pappy!!!

Enthusiast
    Congrats!

Enthusiast
    What's the ETA?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    What's the ETA?
    They don't have the build date yet, but they are expecting mid-May, which probably means a delivery sometime in June. At least the Cup 2Rs won't be frozen and cracked. LOL

Enthusiast
    They don't have the build date yet, but they are expecting mid-May, which probably means a delivery sometime in June. At least the Cup 2Rs won't be frozen and cracked. LOL
    That's awesome. Can't wait to hear your impressions!

How is your racecar racecar coming along?

Enthusiast
    That's awesome. Can't wait to hear your impressions!

How is your racecar racecar coming along?
    I am still working on the kevlar underbody aero pieces - takes a lot of time, but I am getting there. I spent some time building CF headlight blanks for Cable's TT, and I am working on molds for headlight blanks for a Gen IV for Eddie Martin. With the Z06 order processing, a stolen truck and buying a replacement, and taking my dog to the vet for "repairs", it has been a busy week.

Enthusiast
    I am still working on the kevlar underbody aero pieces - takes a lot of time, but I am getting there. I spent some time building CF headlight blanks for Cable's TT, and I am working on molds for headlight blanks for a Gen IV for Eddie Martin. With the Z06 order processing, a stolen truck and buying a replacement, and taking my dog to the vet for "repairs", it has been a busy week.
    Hmmm. Please PM me what you would charge for a set of headlight blanks for Gen III/IV.

Enthusiast
    Hmmm. Please PM me what you would charge for a set of headlight blanks for Gen III/IV.
    Nick,

Here are the photos I referred to in the PM. #1 Gen V mounting brackets for stock headlight mounts, #2 Cable's 9L, #3 Flanges on Gen V headlight blanks.

Viper headlight 4.jpgViper headlights 9 ltr 3.jpgHeadlight Blank 4.jpg

Congrats on the Z06! That’s awesome!

Enthusiast
    The covers Pappy built for me were perfect, makes the car look mean as hell and they've been flawless after seeing 175mph at least 100 times

Enthusiast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123