Enthusiast

Gen 1 Dashboard Needs Cleaning

The dashboard on my 1992 Dodge Viper has become sticky with age. As a result, it is extremely difficult to clean. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the dashboard on a Gen 1 Viper?

Welcome bubbapaul!
    Looks like you just joined. Congratulations!

There have been many threads about this over the years. I can’t tell you where they are or even what headings. Maybe you found something already. I’m sure many will chime in.

I have read guys have used:
    Simple Green
    Or
    Goof-off
    Or
    Super clean
    and there may be others.
    Be patient, my friend, your answers are on the way.
    Good luck.

Got any pics?
    Gotta have pics

Enthusiast
    I know some have plasti-dipped over it as well. It might not be a 100% perfect match, but is cheap and easy.

Enthusiast
    Dear Viper98,

Thank you very much for the information you provided above. I took your advice and tried Simple Green. It worked perfectly in removing dirt and grime build-up without destroying the felt finish on the plastic dash board. I have heard of other people with Gen 1 Vipers that had similar problems with removing dirt from this difficult to clean area on the dashboard. It is difficult to clean because Dodge applied a felt layer over the plastic dashboard at the factory on Gen 1 Vipers. If you use too strong of a detergent, the felt layer gets stripped off. At that point, the only alternative is to paint the dashboard with Argent color, Matte Finish paint. Fortunately, I did not have to go this route.

This was great advice and truly appreciated.

BubbaPaul