Help needed with Windshield for Gen 5

Six months ago I tried to get a replacement windscreen for my Gen 5 viper. My windshield has a lot of micro pitting on the surface. The previous owner must have driven the car in a sandstorm or something. The pitting is not visible most of the time but at night and in certain lighting conditions the pitting is visible and very annoying and detracts from my enjoyment of driving the car. I went to a reputable local glass shop and they tried to get it replaced. The shop received about 8 windshields over a 4 week period. The shop rejected all of the glass because of scratches and or other imperfections in the glass. The shop then went to the Dodge dealer to order glass. The dealer glass originates from the same factory and is the same in all respects as the aftermarket glass. Factory glass differs from aftermarket glass in one respect, it has a Chrysler logo on the glass. The dealer glass costs more and would set me back about $1,300 installed. The dealer did find glass but the glass was also defective (delaminated and scratched). I then contacted Dodge customer support in Detroit. After several weeks passed a windshield was delivered to the dealer. That glass was packaged well but cracked. A second attempt was made by Detroit. The second windshield was delivered pulverized. Needless to say, the glass shop gave up and so did I.

Over the past 6 months, I spent hours trying to polish out the pitting on the windshield. I also had an auto detailer try their best to polish the glass but with limited success. The pitting is still visible.

This past week I went to another auto glass shop to try my luck getting a new windshield. The glass was delivered today but again it was delivered with damage and was rejected. The auto shop told me that that windshield was the last in inventory. The price is now $1,400 installed if I can find factory glass from Dodge.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Ritroman

Micro pitting has been a problem on all three of my Vipers. From Gen 2, Gen 3 and Gen 5. I believe it has something to do with where the windshield is positioned on the car or maybe what they are made it of to begin with. $1,400 in this day and age mite not be too bad really. Back in 2016 I discussed replaying the windshield in my 2013 with the local dealership and that price sound a little cheaper than I was quoted at that time. Not to mention they really didn't want anything to do with replacing it in the first place. So that alone was enough for me to just put up with it.

Enthusiast
    Unfortunately this is the same story I hear. Windshields arrive damaged. A friend here in Colorado had his replaced a year or so ago but the new one was damaged, a small spot of delamination in one corner. The glass shop installed it as it was still better than what he had but they didn't charge him for it.

they make a nano coating now that clears all imperfections and helps from rock chips

Enthusiast
    Mine was like yours too, small pitting here and there. When I had the car completely covered in full PPF the shop that installed it recommended doing the windshield with a different type protection film for windshields, I can remember what it’s called but once installed it bonded and hid a majority of the pitts..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bluesrt View Post
    they make a nano coating now that clears all imperfections and helps from rock chips
    Any idea of the name?

Thanks for info. Didn't think about a film or nano treatment.

Enthusiast
    Clear Plex is a windshield covering that is optically clear. It is difficult to install on the Viper's curved windshield. I have it on my Vipers. However, on the ACR it tends to come up in one corner. There is another new product that I might try next but I cannot remember the name. The windshield should be new or in new condition before installing Clear Plex.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    Clear Plex is a windshield covering that is optically clear. It is difficult to install on the Viper's curved windshield. I have it on my Vipers. However, on the ACR it tends to come up in one corner. There is another new product that I might try next but I cannot remember the name. The windshield should be new or in new condition before installing Clear Plex.
    It wasn’t Stek Dynoflex, was it? If so, I had it installed back in May and like it so far. It’s too early to tell if they’ll be any delam issues, but optically it’s flawless.
    Last edited by SLYBRI; 08-26-2022 at 06:39 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYBRI View Post
    It wasn’t Stek Dynoflex, was it? If so, I had it installed back in May and like it so far. It’s too early to tell if they’ll be any delam issues, but optically it’s flawless.
    Yup, that's the one.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesrt View Post
    Any info? My Gen 3 windshield is in need of help for sure.

I've seen some good results from coating the windshield with some sort of ceramic-like imperfection filler, and then going with two layers of windshield film. I had the windshield film (can't remember what it was now, but I think it was Dynoflex. It's almost impossible to install without one top corner not pulling loose and looking delaminated, but it can be done (generally with a lot of careful work with a heat gun).

In any event, if you choose to try and fix, or do a replacement, definitely get a couple layers of the windshield film installed. Maybe even three.... My installer wanted to just do one, but I figured if it got scratched by dirty windshield wipers, I'd want to just tear off the bad layer. He agreed.

The good news is I managed to get most of the micro pitting polished out of the windshield. Ecstatic to actually fix something I was told could not be fixed.

I watched several excellent videos on Youtube that explained how to polish glass. I got motivated once again to give it another try trying to remove the pitting myself. I purchased a rotary polisher at Harbor Freight, a white felt glass polisher pad, and a product called Ceriglass. I taped off the glass and covered the Viper with a plastic drop cloth. I went at it for hours over several days. Back and forth up and down. What a workout but it worked. I actually got the glass looking good and smooth with almost all the pitting polished out. I was concerned about burning the glass and creating blemishes and distortions in the glass but it turned out ok. The pitting was a real problem driving at night but no more. I am learning that owning a Viper requires going the distance because replacement parts like windshields are not available.

Enthusiast
    Thinking of giving this a go myself (2014 GTS) this winter. Any ongoing advice from anyone? Then, will have the windshield coated!
    Thanks, Andy

Enthusiast
    At the VCA Forum many years ago, there was a User called Petetheexglassguy - maybe from Phoenix. He had many helpful posts and I recall several on the polishing subject. Might be worth a search to see if anything still pops up.

Enthusiast
    The Parts Manager I deal with contacted PGW, they make the Viper windshields, and they said they should be available again at the end of November.

Enthusiast
    The Parts Manager I deal with contacted PGW, they make the Viper windshields, and they said they should be available again at the end of November.
    Was told the same by my dealer yesterday.

Enthusiast
    Great, that sounds even better! I'll work that angle instead of my elbow for now.

Enthusiast
    I have an NOS Gen 2 GTS windshield in a box from PGW.

Ok this makes me feel better. My windshield is trashed.

All-

I stuffed my Viper in a tire all earlier this season due to failed heat soak and heat failure on ABS (prior tech and incompetence) and have been dealing with trying to get a windshield replacement all summer. Still, NONE available. Forget about polishing, fixing or pitting if you're going to try and replace a windshield for our Gen V, good luck. NONE available.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by est8esq View Post
    All-

I stuffed my Viper in a tire all earlier this season due to failed heat soak and heat failure on ABS (prior tech and incompetence) and have been dealing with trying to get a windshield replacement all summer. Still, NONE available. Forget about polishing, fixing or pitting if you're going to try and replace a windshield for our Gen V, good luck. NONE available.
    According to the manufacturer they should start to be available again at the end of November. There was one on eBay for $1600.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    Any info? My Gen 3 windshield is in need of help for sure.
    Il call and ask for product information

Enthusiast
    Well, new windshield has been delayed for a month every single month since about December. Dealer says it does exist so I guess it's coming someday. Glad it's not busted. Meantime, I decided to try and fix my current one or at least make it better for now. My plan is to save it when it comes off as a spare anyhow and figured it's easier to try and polish/correct while it's on the car.

I ordered the Ceriglass and the proper pads and finally gave it a shot. Wasn't having much improvement that route. I ended up experimenting with stuff I had and found that using a cutting pad and a correcting pad along with Mequiar's Show Car Glaze seemed to do some good. So, it's helped but not near what I'd call "fixed". I think mine is too far gone probably (30k miles). Once I get the new windshield, I'll immediately have it filmed. I guess that's the real answer.

Enthusiast
    It would be nice if they’d make Gen1 glass too