Looking for Gen 3 to buy

Hello, I am new to the viper family and am hoping to buy a gen 3. Wondering if anyone has one they are looking to part with and also if there is anything in particular I should be looking for when purchasing one. Thanks!

Enthusiast
    Welcome. I have owned my gen 3 coupe for 7 years, but am no expert on faults to look for as my car has been very reliable, and mostly trouble free!

The only things I've had to do are known common problems, such as change the oil cooler pipes which weep on the joints at the ends (feel the pipes for wetness), replace the blower motor and resistor (check the AC works on all 4 speeds) and change a window regulator as they fail due to being a bad design (check both windows go up and down with no funny noises).

Certain things are getting expensive and harder to find such as headlights (I think they are £1000 each?)

Check tire date codes, mine had the original 10 year old runflats on the front so it drove dreadfully

Do a carfax (or similar) check to verify a clean history

I also had 3 cracked suspension arms which I replaced last year, although this issue is only common in europe due to the salt used on our roads (apparently)

Good luck!

upper rear arm 3.jpg

left front A arm.jpg
    Last edited by sonicbloo; 08-19-2022 at 05:55 PM. Reason: adding photo

Enthusiast
    sonicbloo has offered some excellent advice.

Just to be clear, many U.S. states use salt on the roads. His point about inspection of the control arms is a very good one.

Quote Originally Posted by mbomb45 View Post
    Hello, I am new to the viper family and am hoping to buy a gen 3. Wondering if anyone has one they are looking to part with and also if there is anything in particular I should be looking for when purchasing one. Thanks!
    I have a 2006 Convertible with 12k miles. All stock Viper Red. Mint!! If interested email at daveviperman@gmail.com.
    Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mbomb45 View Post
    Gen 3 is probably the best if you plan to modify, but not so much if you plan to keep it stock and drive it often. In that case I would put the money on a gen 4 or 5.