Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

I ve Never Been A Corvette Guy But

While I respect the Corvette and understand it's importance in the automotive world, it just has just never "done it" for me. I have driven a few in the past but I just never clicked with them. Although I would really like a C4 ZR1 (or even a C6 & C7 ZR1 eventually) I just don't seem to enjoy them as much as I do with most cars.

However... I recently drove a C8 Corvette for the first time. Nothing crazy, just a stock, sub-1,000 mile 2LT. I was blown away by how good it is. It handles so much better than any previous Corvette (obviously) and it actually felt special to me. It commanded a crazy amount of attention. It was faster than I expected it to be for a "base" model. After looking at it for a while in person, it makes you realize how exotic it looks and for the price it really is a bang for your buck.

Now, I still wouldn't call myself a Corvette guy. I still think the Viper cooler & more fun to drive. But Chevy really did a great job with the C8 and it will be exciting to see what they do with it.

What are everyone else thought's that have driven one? Overrated, Underrated, or exactly what you expected?

C8 1.jpg
    C8 2.jpg
    C8 3.jpg

Enthusiast
    Have not driven one but they are strange-looking cars to me.

Way too many styling cues ...

However, solid black will hide a lot of that ...

After looking at it for a while in person, it makes you realize how exotic it looks and for the price it really is a bang for your buck.

The interior is a serious upgrade versus the previous generations...

However, I really don't like the exterior looks. It's cartoonish, like a clumsy attempt to mix Ferrari and some japanese sportscar... I just don't like it.

English, german and even south korean designers are way way ahead.

Driving experience? Didnt try yet but I'm sure it's excellent for the money spent. Would I choose that over a 981/718 Porsche ? Most probably not!

im a fan. i am not a corvette guy. But i think the corvette offers a really good bang for the buck, and i think it looks decent. The interior i do like. although i think its a little quirky, i like the the driver focus design.

Enthusiast
    I've had my C8 Z51 for 2 years and driven it over 10,000 trouble free miles. It is my 37th Corvette (All 8 generations). Yes, I like Corvettes. The car is extremely quick to 100. I've clocked a couple of 2.6 seconds to 60 runs. Low 11, 1/4 miles. The car is designed for the track. Not as fast as my C7 Z06 was over 100. The DCT is extremely quick. The handling is very predictable and balanced. With the motor behind you, this car is able to put the power to the ground much better than the previous gens. Looks are subjective, but I think it looks very exotic.
    Can't wait for the Z06. I am first on my dealer's list and expect to have an early car. Hard to beat these cars for the money. The fit and finish is excellent and the interior is world class.
    20201025_131706.jpg
    20201209_124823.jpg

Enthusiast
    All that matters is if you like it. Some of it looks great to me but other parts not so much. I can't get in line to buy a C8 base but the Z version fixes a lot for me and might buy one.

For the price the base C8 is a great car. To me it is visually just not cohesive. It's not ugly, just strange. God bless Chevy for making it, though.

Enthusiast
    I just can't do 2 pedals, it's no fun at all for me.

Enthusiast
    I have not driven a C8. I have heard nothing but great things.

Most major body style/gen changes on any car that are significant departure from the previous ones tend to grow on me over time, that is even if I don't care for them initially. However, the C8 seems to be the opposite for some reason. I was blown away when it first came out and immediately wanted one. Then over the last couple of years, I find myself liking them less and less. Now, I much prefer the looks of the C7, especially in GS and Z06 trims.

Enthusiast
    I agree with the other sentiments. It's an amazing leap forward for American sports car performance. It's also most definitely overstyled and doesn't flow. Every time I see it I think if I were still 20, I bet I'd think it looks awesome. It has the styling cues and dimensionality of the mid-engined Ferrari's without it being beautiful. They relied on lines, creases and points to make it look aggressive without it looking attractive. Stuck between Ferrari and Lambo styling cues without being nearly as attractive as either.

That's the negatives. The positive is that the Z06 powertrain is an absolute groundbreaking advancement for NA performance. That engine has put the exotic supercar manufacturers on notice. While GM's designers can't compete with Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, McLaren, Pagani, etc, their engineers most assuredly are on equal footing. Just my $0.02.

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
    I just can't do 2 pedals, it's no fun at all for me.
    This^

I like the look, but I'm not sure I will ever be able to thoroughly enjoy a sportscar without a clutch pedal. Heck, I also ride a fixed gear track bike for exercise.
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2022 BMW X5M Comp
    Resident Misanthrope

Enthusiast
    Here is one option that Helps the Styling quite a bit ......

https://www.slashgear.com/783765/car...build-options/

Enthusiast
    On CarBuzz there was an announcement yesterday that GM is scrapping the Z06 program due to the new engine being unable to meet smog/mileage guidelines after 2024. Since the announcement came on April 1, am wondering if a prank or if the announcement is real? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRon View Post
    I agree with the other sentiments. It's an amazing leap forward for American sports car performance. It's also most definitely overstyled and doesn't flow. Every time I see it I think if I were still 20, I bet I'd think it looks awesome. It has the styling cues and dimensionality of the mid-engined Ferrari's without it being beautiful. They relied on lines, creases and points to make it look aggressive without it looking attractive. Stuck between Ferrari and Lambo styling cues without being nearly as attractive as either.

That's the negatives. The positive is that the Z06 powertrain is an absolute groundbreaking advancement for NA performance. That engine has put the exotic supercar manufacturers on notice. While GM's designers can't compete with Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, McLaren, Pagani, etc, their engineers most assuredly are on equal footing. Just my $0.02.
    Yup. 100%

Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post

More refined for sure. But very very Ferrari...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand View Post
    On CarBuzz there was an announcement yesterday that GM is scrapping the Z06 program due to the new engine being unable to meet smog/mileage guidelines after 2024. Since the announcement came on April 1, am wondering if a prank or if the announcement is real? Thoughts?
    100% Bogus April Fool's prank.

Enthusiast
    They could have at least said it was definitely getting a manual. lol

Enthusiast

Very close to what Chip Foose came up with ...

Approaching two years of ownership with mine. The mass production blows but its a fun daily beater.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevus View Post
    The interior is a serious upgrade versus the previous generations... However, I really don't like the exterior looks.
    Exactly my thinking in terms of design. I had the chance to test drive one last summer. It drives really, really good - I was surprised even. It's so much different than any previous generation Corvettes I drove over the years. Always liked Corvettes, but the C8 is a big leap in terms of performance. Rear visibility is very bad, though, and I'm not a fan you have/need an extra camera on the roof for that. Just useless weight (even if little) and gimmickry. Interior, on the other hand, is quite exquisite.

I actually prefer this look, it's more refined and "softer" than all the sharp edges of the C8.

Enthusiast
    I am a Corvette guy. I had 3 by age 35 (37 now). I dont like the styling that much. It's like a combination of a bunch of otherwise good design pieces that don't really go together.
    I especially don't like the "beak" of the pointy front bumper. The rear bumper proportions just aren't right. Wheels with zero dish or concavity, etc. It reminds me of that super hot chick that you kind of see at certain angles/light/whatever and think "eh, she's not that hot."
    I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I never looked at it like I do my G5.

Z06 helped fix a lot of that stuff. I'm supposedly getting one of the first year production year Z06s. If I can get $75k or more flipping it, I will. If not, I'll probably keep it. I wouldn't even consider buying it if it wasn't a near 9000 RPM FPC 5.5L V8. It's an awkward design with a touring car interior and creeping up on 4000lbs (C8 is 3700 so probably 3850 for the heavier engine, heavier duty trans, more cooling, wider body, bigger brakes, wheels and tires, but it will have the option of dropping weight with CCB and CF wheels, so maybe about 3700 or so).

And it seems like I need to get carbon ceramic wheels to get the high wing- lol. I dont get why GM is so restrictive with their options. I dont want to be doing $8k brake jobs instead of $1500 ones and caliper rebuilds twice as often. It's ironic the wing requires rotors that most track guys don't want. Porsche straight up tells you not get get CCB if you want to track it.

Every person on the street looks at it in amazement & says "look at that Ferrari!"

An F car for 30 pennies on the dollar aint bad...

Enthusiast
    Unless you know what a Ferrari looks like. Then it looks like you ordered a Lambarrari on Wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    Unless you know what a Ferrari looks like. Then it looks like you ordered a Lambarrari on Wish.
    hahaha

Aesthetic value is inherently subjective. Getting the body matching panels makes it easier on the eyes. Seeing one on every corner is a big yawn. The key was to own it two years ago before everyone had one.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    I am a Corvette guy. I had 3 by age 35 (37 now). I dont like the styling that much. It's like a combination of a bunch of otherwise good design pieces that don't really go together.
    I especially don't like the "beak" of the pointy front bumper. The rear bumper proportions just aren't right. Wheels with zero dish or concavity, etc. It reminds me of that super hot chick that you kind of see at certain angles/light/whatever and think "eh, she's not that hot."
    I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I never looked at it like I do my G5.

Z06 helped fix a lot of that stuff. I'm supposedly getting one of the first year production year Z06s.
    I couldn't agree more, well stated!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast