Jeep Rubicon 392 on the way

I was lusting after the Rubicon Unlimited with the diesel V6 twin-turbo, but I just couldn't option it out the way I wanted, and I hated the cherry red plastic dash. Then, the 392 HEMI came out... I wasn't sure about it during the first year of production, but everything I read was positive about it. When the Xtreme Recon package came out, I envisioned a deja vu of when the ACR-E was announced, so I put an order in. It's got about every option available other than the smoker's group, and I didn't want to bother with multiple tops, so I just kept the standard body-colored hard top. It's finally built, and sitting in QA waiting to get shipped. Once in, I'll put a winch on it and maybe one of those iKamper Skycamps along with aux fuel tank and it'll be a hoot to go camping and fishing in.

Should be a very cool car - I've had Jeeps for years, and I've always modified them to the point that I couldn't ever recoup the cost. This one, straight from the factory, is everything I wanted (I might install 37" tires once the 35" tires wear out) and I don't have to void the warranty. Glad I jumped on it when I could - right after I ordered, Jeep pretty much halted additional orders, and took the Xtreme Recon package off the ordering list.

I figure in this day and age, buying up cars with big V8 (or V10) engines is the smart thing to do. They'll all probably be gone in the next few years if current indications are any sign of what's to come.

Enthusiast
    Congrats on getting one!
    I've got a 21' Willy's and I really am thinking about jumping on the 392. I made a mistake of driving one a few months ago & now that's what I keep finding myself looking at. One of my favorite features is the active exhaust button. It can be just about as quiet as a V6 but when you hit the button it sounds go great. It's a weird sensation in a Wrangler. Only gripe I have is the bronze/goldish accents & stitching.

Post some pics when yours arrives!

I'll try and post some good pics once it comes in. For some strange reason, it's already on its way to me - when there are a lot of orders that were placed way before me and they're still in D1 status...

I'm looking forward to getting it. I just wish I would have ordered before pricing went crazy. But, that said, it looks like pricing for everything has gone nuts lately. A "typical" markup over MSRP for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (not even the 392) is about 23% over MSRP. I guess if I was willing to pay more than MSRP, the world must be going crazy. Oh well, you only live once, and I did get great 60 month financing secured before rates started going up.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston

I just took delivery of my Firecracker Red 392 XR last week and absolutely love the thing! My dealer sold it to me at MSRP which was outstanding after seeing what others are charging! I am researching electric side steps right now because I'm a tad short and getting in is interesting but I make it work!!

Check out the jeep392.com forum for information on the 392s as well.

Jeep side.jpg
    Last edited by Herrsss; 04-01-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Enthusiast
    Sharp vehicle. Congrats!! What can they tow?

Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    Sharp vehicle. Congrats!! What can they tow?
    Unfortunately, they don't tow squat... Even with the high GVWR, big engine, and big brakes, they're limited to 3,500 pounds. That's one thing that kept me away from a Rubicon for a long time. But, when I was looking at Grand Cherokees (I have one now), the towing was good, but the off-road capability is really not reliable. I have one of the WJ Grand Cherokees (very highly modified with a Kenne Bell supercharger and ground-up re-do from the factory) and I took a look at the latest models and read some reports. They just aren't off-road beasts like the older WJs were.

That said, I can still tow with the WJ, and do smaller towing jobs with the JL. Some day I'll have a dedicated tow vehicle - but I need it so infrequently these days that I figured small and fun was better than big and 20,000 pound tow rating.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Unfortunately, they don't tow squat... Even with the high GVWR, big engine, and big brakes, they're limited to 3,500 pounds. That's one thing that kept me away from a Rubicon for a long time. But, when I was looking at Grand Cherokees (I have one now), the towing was good, but the off-road capability is really not reliable. I have one of the WJ Grand Cherokees (very highly modified with a Kenne Bell supercharger and ground-up re-do from the factory) and I took a look at the latest models and read some reports. They just aren't off-road beasts like the older WJs were.

That said, I can still tow with the WJ, and do smaller towing jobs with the JL. Some day I'll have a dedicated tow vehicle - but I need it so infrequently these days that I figured small and fun was better than big and 20,000 pound tow rating.
    You can get up to 7650lb towing capacity with the Gladiator.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    You can get up to 7650lb towing capacity with the Gladiator.
    True, but the Gladiator just isn't my thing. If I'm going to get a pickup - it's going to have a big Cummins Turbo Diesel in it, and it will tow my tractor. Or, for the fun of it, I'll get a TRX and just flip the birdie to all the environmentalists in my area

Hate that red dash too. Kept me from ordering a Rubicon. Found out later couple of exterior colors come with the gray dash. Orange was one of them. Also full leather option gets the Black leather on the dash. Researching now for a 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by RAY W View Post
    Hate that red dash too. Kept me from ordering a Rubicon. Found out later couple of exterior colors come with the gray dash. Orange was one of them. Also full leather option gets the Black leather on the dash. Researching now for a 2023.
    Even with the ugly red dash, I realized a few months ago that it can easily be replaced with a genuine leather-stitched Mopar dash. There are a million options for stitching color, and it's a gigantic improvement over the ugly red. I believe the dash sections come from the various other models (high altitude, altitude, summit, etc.). There was a shortage of the driver's side inserts for a while, but I believe they're in-stock now.

I'm following 2023 really closely, too. It's going to be the final year for the HEMI engine, and I heard through the grapevine that a "Final Edition" Rubicon Unlimited 392 is coming out with a lot of goodies. Downside is there's just no easy way to get a Rubicon 392 for a non-insane price.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrsss View Post
    I just took delivery of my Firecracker Red 392 XR last week and absolutely love the thing! My dealer sold it to me at MSRP which was outstanding after seeing what others are charging! I am researching electric side steps right now because I'm a tad short and getting in is interesting but I make it work!!

Check out the jeep392.com forum for information on the 392s as well.

Gorgeous!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    True, but the Gladiator just isn't my thing. If I'm going to get a pickup - it's going to have a big Cummins Turbo Diesel in it, and it will tow my tractor. Or, for the fun of it, I'll get a TRX and just flip the birdie to all the environmentalists in my area
    If my trailer wasn't so heavy that's what I'd have, a TRX

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    If my trailer wasn't so heavy that's what I'd have, a TRX
    I'm due for a new DD and if I get a truck that's probably what I will go with. Cool trucks. Just not sure if I want to go back to a car or SUV.

Yay - my Sting Gray 392 XR just came in. Now, I need to get it ceramic coated. Anyone in the Bay Area (South Bay) have any recommendations on good places to go? I got my ACR-E wrapped and coated, but that was a crazy expenditure - probably the same as a whole re-spray. Hoping someone out there does a good job but doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

20220522_114157.jpg

What no snazzberry for you all HA

Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    What no snazzberry for you all HA
    Haha - I actually saw a snazzberry when the 392s first came out and in the right light it looks sharp. But, it's not my thing. At the dealership, there's one sitting there where a guy ordered what I think was Firecracker Red and they accidentally got Snazzberry. We were kind of laughing when we saw it - and I asked if the buyer was going to accept it or not. Apparently, since they take so long to order and deliver, the guy just decided to take it.

hahah.. we had a snazzberry one at the local dealer with a 392.. in fairness it looked like a fun color for such a crazy jeep..

Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    hahah.. we had a snazzberry one at the local dealer with a 392.. in fairness it looked like a fun color for such a crazy jeep..
    When I picked up the 392, I got to talking with the dealer about some of the ridiculous colors on some Jeeps. He told me that it's a weird phenomena with both Vipers and Wranglers. Customers are super picky about over the top colors, and some colors that they wouldn't order for stock, but they get stuck with because a sold-order falls through, strangely jump off the lot really fast. They had a pink one, a snazzberry, and a gecko green and they all got bought within a week when all the sensible colored cars just sat there. To me, a Jeep is a Jeep - it doesn't really need to have a huge amount of bling factor to it. I wanted something subdued that will be easy to touch up when it gets scraped.

Enthusiast
    Congratulations. Should be a fun ride.

How do you like the 392?? I am thinking of trading my Bronco on it. Bronco is a manual which I love and they don't offer the 392 in stick but man... a 6.4 hemi is so enticing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantdrivestick View Post
    How do you like the 392?? I am thinking of trading my Bronco on it. Bronco is a manual which I love and they don't offer the 392 in stick but man... a 6.4 hemi is so enticing.
    I love it - it's got almost Viper-level of fun, and no worries about parking it anywhere. Power is instant, torque is instant, sound is incredible, and it's incredibly comfortable. It's a little floaty, and has more body roll than any other stock Wrangler I've driven, but I'll get used to that. I've had Broncos and Wranglers, and this is definitely in a whole different universe.

I wanted a stick, too, but the paddle shifters work good. Definitely not like a DCT, but they're snappy enough to be fun. An unexpected benefit is that if you use the paddles, the stupid multi-displacement system is overridden. I was kind of going crazy every time it swapped from 8 cyl. to 4 cyl. No noticeable change in gas mileage, but noticeable change in sound and a weird exhaust pop and stumble when it would switch. Also, during break in, they want you to baby it just like a Viper (same exact break-in instructions) and I didn't like the idea of the rings not seating evenly when the engine went into 4 cyl. mode. So, I just paddle shift it constantly.

The only things I don't like about it are all the electronics. It's loaded with stuff that I'll never use - I'd be happy with just a radio. The off-road pages (similar in intent to the Performance Pages on the Viper) are cool - but hard to navigate to. The dealer went over all the things I can do with the 8.4" touch screen, and it took him so long to go over the "basics" that I just said - let's just put gas in the thing so I can get on my way... I'll also note that the gas mileage is unexpectedly horrific. If I get an average of 13 mpg on the freeway I've obviously got a tailwind - but that's really not an issue for me, even with gas at $7.29 where I live.

They just opened the order books for '23 models a few days ago. Big price increases, and some dealers are marking them up by $50k, but if you find a dealer that's reasonable, I'd highly recommend it. It's the last of the Hemi Jeeps, and it's a blast to drive.

Enthusiast
    I know Woodhouse happens to have one , but the only guy to talk to is John Graham at 402-699-5173. Or you can call me as I am off to the Viper Rendezvous in Hastings, Ne.. Should be a fun time at MPH since the track was repaved in October and it seems to have seasoned in quite well. Looking forward to seeing all the Snakecharmers slithering around the 2.1 mile road course.

Bill P
    402-677-5864

I won't have access to the Forum till Monday , so yes you can call me.
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 06-10-2022 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantdrivestick View Post
    This thing is a beast - I liken it to what my Gen II GTS felt like on the streets, but it will do it off road. I'm on a big property with lots of dirt roads, and I think I've already has as much fun value out of this Jeep to justify every penny I paid. Now, I'm in the middle of replacing the front bumper skid plate ($150 delivered) and probably adding a Warn 12,000# winch and a full belly pan to it. If you haven't experienced one of these, you should - it's just a plain kick in the ass to drive around in. Picture yourself being able to experience horsepower and acceleration like a Viper - but totally in the woods (and with a trailer). Definitely a very fun vehicle and worth every dime (as long as you don't get sucked into the 100% markup that a bunch of dealers are sticking them with.

Unfortunately, you have to look at the picture sideways because I can't figure out how to make it look correct...

20220709_153401 (4).jpg
    Last edited by Martin; 07-15-2022 at 06:03 PM.