Hybrid View

Looking for Dealer in Austin to do R40 R14 P52 R28 R29 Recalls

Hey All,

About to pull the trigger on a 2014 GTS (deposit down) and it needs to have certain recalls done before I can import the car into Canada (so it meets the Registrar of Imported Vehicles requirements). The car is located just outside Austin, Texas at Alpha One Motors and it needs the following recalls done:

R40 - Software update
    R14 - Door handle switches
    P52 - Seat Sensor
    R28/R29 - Oil Contamination

As I understand it, a dealer doesn't have to do the recall work in order for the car to get cleared - any garage can can do it but obviously I'm not necessarily looking to "just get it done", I want to make sure it gets done properly - especially with everything I've read about R28/R29. If the recall letter isn't issued, I can't import the car. Would it be a wise option to let Alpha One handle this? If not, is there a Dodge dealer with a good tech or a garage in Austin that anyone on the board could recommend?

I've read some of the recall stuff on the board and if the oil is good, I think you still get an extended warranty on the motor and I just want to make sure that I'm not jeopardizing that extended warranty by taking any shortcuts with the recall work.

Thanks so much,
    Johnny

Enthusiast
    I'd imagine the parts of the recall that may take some time, are parts availability for the door switches and maybe the valve cover for the R29, and having to wait for the oil sample to come back on the R28....... I think recalls have to be done by a Dodge dealer. Did you look at the dealers list on top of this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    I'd imagine the parts of the recall that may take some time, are parts availability for the door switches and maybe the valve cover for the R29, and having to wait for the oil sample to come back on the R28....... I think recalls have to be done by a Dodge dealer. Did you look at the dealers list on top of this forum?
    So we called a local dealer (Nyle Maxwell Dodge) and they said they could order all of the parts for the recall and have them in stock by early March. That being said, whether they arrive then or not is a whole other matter...in terms of the recall actually having to be done by a Dodge dealer, I've only heard that non-dealers can do recall work but not sure if this is actually true or not

Enthusiast
    Johnny_C, hopefully someone in the local Texas group can help you find a competent and capable dealer.

As I have understood the situation, the R28 powertrain warranty extension of ten years starts running on the original inservice date. So, you really need to know when the car was first purchased. Also, I have always been told that American Vipers' warranties do not "cross the border". All of this can be verified by a Dodge dealer and/or Chrysler Customer Service.

Best of luck with your hunt !!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Johnny_C, hopefully someone in the local Texas group can help you find a competent and capable dealer.

As I have understood the situation, the R28 powertrain warranty extension of ten years starts running on the original inservice date. So, you really need to know when the car was first purchased. Also, I have always been told that American Vipers' warranties do not "cross the border". All of this can be verified by a Dodge dealer and/or Chrysler Customer Service.

Best of luck with your hunt !!

Thanks Steve - definitely a VERY smart thing to ask - making sure the warranty is able to find it's way northbound is HUGE.

Enthusiast
    PM sent

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Also, I have always been told that American Vipers' warranties do not "cross the border". All of this can be verified by a Dodge dealer and/or Chrysler Customer Service. !
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_C View Post
    Thanks Steve - definitely a VERY smart thing to ask - making sure the warranty is able to find it's way northbound is HUGE.
    Here is a page from the 2014 Viper Owner's Warranty guide:

2014 Viper Warranty page 7.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    Here is a page from the 2014 Viper Owner's Warranty guide:

2014 Viper Warranty page 7.jpg
    Greatly appreciate this…there’s the documentation that answers my question! Thank you for sharing. Definitely impacts the choice to go forward with the car.

Enthusiast
    Maxwell was one of the first Texas dealers with a trained Viper Tech. They've had some very good ones in the past, but I'm not sure how they are now. Nyle still owns the dealership and he will probably know it's in there.

I bought the first car they sold from Gen 1-3 at my local dealer starting in 1993. They would probably still work on mine if I asked them to for general Chrysler/Dodge-related things, but they don't have a Viper tech any more.
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 02-18-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    Maxwell was one of the first Texas dealers with a trained Viper Tech. They've had some very good ones in the past, but I'm not sure how they are now. Nyle still owns the dealership and he will probably know it's in there.

I bought the first car they sold from Gen 1-3 at my local dealer starting in 1993. They would probably still work on mine if I asked them to for general Chrysler/Dodge-related things, but they don't have a Viper tech any more.
    Really appreciate the info - would you trust them to do the recall work for a Gen V? Or would you recommend I go somewhere else?

Enthusiast
    Have you considered Covert Dodge in Austin? Sometime back, I believe Kurt Robinson (forum handle Texas Tonka) mentioned they had a good Viper Tech he had work done with. You might PM him to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by SA Heat View Post
    Have you considered Covert Dodge in Austin? Sometime back, I believe Kurt Robinson (forum handle Texas Tonka) mentioned they had a good Viper Tech he had work done with. You might PM him to ask.
    This is super helpful. Thank you! I’ll PM him and give the dealer a call tomorrow! Really appreciate the guidance / suggestion!