Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

New Viper Owner From Western PA

Long time lurker here that finally made his dream come true! My dream car was always either a Gen 2 or 3 Viper and I had always leaned towards a Gen 3 until recently I started swaying back to Gen 2. Just today I made a deal on a beautiful 1998 RT/10. I'm still in shock and beyond excited!

The car is out of state and we are working out the details for shipping. I expect to take delivery within the next week.

It is a 1998 RT/10 with 19,000 miles. Vapor Silver over black. No stripes. It's in very original condition. I can't seem to find anything not OEM spec on the car.

I will be sharing pictures when I take delivery and can't wait to see it in person in my own driveway. It's going to be an extra long winter waiting for the snow to clear, that's for sure!

I might have to change my handle to PA-RT/10 instead of SRT!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    Congrats!!

Sleeping will be difficult…
    Brian
    98 Ronzello PVP Pilot GT2
    99 ACR

Capital Vipers Facebook Group

Capital Vipers Founding Regional President 2018 - 2021
    Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2021/2020/2019, Hilton Head Concours 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    Coordinator - Hagerty Partnership
    Coordinator - Spirit of Viper
    GT2 Owners Group

Congratulations on the new addition! We have a pretty active region; hope to see you at an event this season! Enjoy that beautiful Viper!

Enthusiast
    Congrats and welcome! BTW: the official name of the color (see window sticker) is Viper bright silver metallic

Looking forward to the pics...

Enthusiast
    Congrats and welcome to the Forum.

Enthusiast
    Congrats on the new car. I've always liked the body style of the Gen I and Gen II roadsters best of all Vipers.

Enthusiast
    CONGRATS!!

Now, you just have to make it through winter!!

Me and my Gen 3 are in the Johnstown area.

Where are you located?
    Last edited by jpmst3; 01-25-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Enthusiast
    Congrats! Some good events to chose from over here.

Enthusiast
    PASRT10 - welcome to the Viper FAMILY. Your story is like many of ours; fulfilling a lifelong dream by purchasing an American Supercar. I live just north of Pittsburgh and a bunch of us are very active with club events. Shoot me an email and I'll tell you more. mcalder@caringlawyers.com

Enthusiast
    Thank you all! I live in the South Hills and work in Cranberry Twp.

Sleeping was indeed difficult last night. I woke up at 4am and wasn't able to go back asleep so I just got dressed and went outside to shovel the latest couple inches of snow off the driveway!

I hope to join in on a few events this year in the area. I have a young family, 2 boys ages 2 and 4, so my time is very limited. I'm looking forward to raising them to be car guys like their Dad. I was born and raised a Mopar kid and now am fulfilling my poster car dreams.

Enthusiast
    South Hills area as well.

Enthusiast
    Congrats on the purchase! Silver '98 RT was my first choice when I was shopping years ago. Can't wait to see pics.

what part of south hills

Congrats from a fellow PA guy!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by camarochevy1970 View Post
    what part of south hills
    Just moved to Bethel Park.

Enthusiast
    I hope to GtG with the Western Reserve gang this summer or fall. I think there are a few of us in within 60 miles or so.

Enthusiast
    Welcome to the Club!

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures. I recently (about one month ago), put my first Viper in the garage. Thankfully I just had to drive across town and leave my Mustang behind. i can't imagine having to wait for delivery. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PASRT10 View Post
    Just moved to Bethel Park.
    Nice, I am over here in Venetia near Al's cafe

Enthusiast
    Took delivery last weekend and now just getting to figure out how to upload the pictures to the forum.

I am very happy with the condition of the car; it is in very nice shape! Extremely original. That being said, it's going to need a LOT of work! Here is what I'm thinking to start:

1. It will need a full tune up since it has the original plug wires with the 98 date codes.
    2. The rear tires are from 1996, so those need to go! The fronts are from 2017 and are Pilot Sports and look like new tread so I'm not sure what to do there. Maybe better safe than sorry but I don't want to waste money if I don't have to.
    3. The front of the engine is pretty wet with oil and I imagine it is one of the various rubber hoses that is cracked and leaking. I'm just going to go through it all and if it's rubber - replace it.
    4. Oil and filter change.
    5. Transmission fluid change.
    6. Differential fluid change.
    7. Fuel filter.
    8. ASP radiator cap.
    9. Power steering cap vent tube.
    10. Billet power steering pulley/bracket.
    11. It needs detailed very badly! Covered in a thick layer of dust.
    12. Fresh tank of gasoline. It starts rough and I'm figuring it's due to old gas and original everything!

Other than that I will do the obvious inspection items of motor mounts, transmission mount, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings and check for cracks, shifter boot. Anything else to look out for or obvious things I'm missing? I'm also considering doing the skip shift eliminator. I imagine I'll want that. I've also read about installing a check valve to keep the a/c door open.

Here are pics taken upon delivery (hopefully I did it right and they appear in this post):

20220129_114251.jpg20220129_114243.jpg20220129_114053.jpg20220129_112043.jpg

Enthusiast
    Give some thought to a timing chain cover gasket as a source of oil up front. They are a know issue 96-98. Unfortunately, some have failed internally putting antifreeze into the oil. Also check in to see if there is oil in the valley due to a bad PCV grommet.

Check your air filters.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the tip, Steve. I will definitely check the air filters and might just do an S&B or K&N drop in and smooth tubes and keep the stock units tucked away safely for down the road.

I'll just go ahead and add a new PCV valve and grommet to the list and be done with it. I hope it's not the timing chain cover...

The wetness is in the general area of the power steering reservoir. Here's a few pics of the area I just took last night. It was dark and not great angles but maybe you can deduce something from this or point me in a direction:

20220201_210458.jpg

20220201_210453.jpg

20220201_210431.jpg

20220201_210413.jpg

Enthusiast
    Sorry, I can't tell. You could clean it up, and see if it returns...and, if so, maybe trace it back to source.

Hopefully, others may have a better idea.

By the way, if moderators will move this thread th the Gen II section, more will read it in my experience.

if you need access to a lift when the weather and roads are nicer let me know, my shop is in Finleyville

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by PASRT10 View Post
    Took delivery last weekend and now just getting to figure out how to upload the pictures to the forum.

I am very happy with the condition of the car; it is in very nice shape! Extremely original. That being said, it's going to need a LOT of work! Here is what I'm thinking to start:

2. The rear tires are from 1996, so those need to go! The fronts are from 2017 and are Pilot Sports and look like new tread so I'm not sure what to do there. Maybe better safe than sorry but I don't want to waste money if I don't have to.

Other than that I will do the obvious inspection items of motor mounts, transmission mount, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings and check for cracks, shifter boot. Anything else to look out for or obvious things I'm missing? I'm also considering doing the skip shift eliminator. I imagine I'll want that. I've also read about installing a check valve to keep the a/c door open.
    CONGRATS!!!

The fronts being 2017 tires isn't too big of a deal, but it really depends on how the car has been stored and how you plan to use it. For cruising around town, those tires will be fine. Old tires become problematic when pushed hard, so really only a concern if you're going to be canyon carving, running the Tail, autocrossing, or tracking the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast