Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I buy this viper

Hello, I am looking at a 2013 viper w about 12k miles. In looking through the paperwork, I see the previous owner has set up the car for the track. From the looks of it, a pretty serious track car. He replaced the heads w blue print ported heads, track wheels with slicks, exhaust, intake, poly bushings, sway bars, long tube headers. The first owner had it for about 7k miles.

Question; how do these handle up to track use? Is it a ticking time bomb considering it’s rough past life?

75% of the car was repainted due to it being “keyed.” No proof of what actual damage was done.

With a 30k discount from market price, is this still risky?

Enthusiast
    To me, it's risky...BUT it depends on your intended use, your mechanical skill set and appetite, definition of "market price", and a THOUROUGH INSPECTION.

Hopefully, others will weigh in.

Enthusiast
    I haven’t read of a single person with a Gen V porting the heads and not also changing the cam. This thing needs a thorough inspection.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I haven’t read of a single person with a Gen V porting the heads and not also changing the cam. This thing needs a thorough inspection.
    What he said. The Gen IV and V heads supposedly flow very well, from factory, thus you definitely don't hear of nearly as many people getting headwork, like the previous generations. Usually a change to a solid camshaft, as opposed to the cam in cam stocker, plus heads, yields worthwhile results. I can't remember anyone doing only heads on a Gen V. That and the 70% repaint from keying definitely makes this car sound like it has a story. With todays prices, a 30K discount isn't what it used to be percentage wise.

That aside, track use itself wouldn't steer me away from a Viper. Mine has plenty of track use, and if I swapped the rotors and tires, and reset the factory alignment, you would never be able to tell. In this post warranty, used market, I think I might trust one with some use to be sorted better than one that's been sitting on a trickle charger for years, and pulled out on Sundays to fetch a Starbucks.

Thanks for the replies. Is the implication of the mis-matched mod that they didn’t know what they were doing or that I’m just not getting the whole story?

I’m leaning toward letting it go but may feel him out on how much more of a discount I could get out of him.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    Back in the Gen 4 days, this was not unheard of...pretty much no one offered a fixed cam solution for the Gen 4/5 engines until the Gen 5 came out and had been out for a while. Ported heads was pretty much the last thing you could do as a "bolt on" solution before you had to start digging deep in your pockets for more power (forced induction with an aftermarket engine management solution).

The power gains were usually fairly minimal (maybe +20 HP) for the amount of money it costs to do (all labor hours for porting as well as pulling/installing them), so it wasn't super popular.

This is at least one example of how much power you could make with full bolt-ons + ported heads:

That's maybe about 1-2 MPH faster than what a non-ported heads full bolt-on car would likely do, so about +10-20 HP or so.

If I recall correctly, that car put down around 650-660 RWHP, and just looking at his wheel tire combo, it wasn't optimized for the drag strip, so there's definitely some left on the table.
    Last edited by Steve M; 01-02-2022 at 06:30 PM.

Enthusiast
    Is this car gunmetal pearl? I looked at one 4 years ago that had been repainted for the same reason. Wonder what happened to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zajackso View Post
    Hello, I am looking at a 2013 viper w about 12k miles. In looking through the paperwork, I see the previous owner has set up the car for the track. From the looks of it, a pretty serious track car. He replaced the heads w blue print ported heads, track wheels with slicks, exhaust, intake, poly bushings, sway bars, long tube headers. The first owner had it for about 7k miles.

Question; how do these handle up to track use? Is it a ticking time bomb considering it’s rough past life?

75% of the car was repainted due to it being “keyed.” No proof of what actual damage was done.

With a 30k discount from market price, is this still risky?

No, this one is red.

Enthusiast
    Depends on track usage.
    If you saw my car, you’d think it was a was track car for an HPDE rat. Aero, chewed rubber on the edge of the tires, coilovers, etc.
    it’s had less than one full session - maybe 8 or 9 laps- on it and I’d be very surprised if it ever saw the track again.

With that said, I’m guessing that thing blew a head gasket. You don’t just port heads on a stock cam.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawineer View Post
    With that said, I’m guessing that thing blew a head gasket. You don’t just port heads on a stock cam.
    Sure you do. It isn't popular, but it most definitely has been done many times. I'm sure Greg Good can tell you approximately how many he's done for Gen 4 & 5 guys, and I know there are other shops out there that have offered a similar service.

Could it have blown a head gasket? Maybe, but that wouldn't be the first conclusion I'd jump to in this case.

Enthusiast
    What's he asking for it? Personally I would avoid cars with potential headaches

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Sure you do. It isn't popular, but it most definitely has been done many times. I'm sure Greg Good can tell you approximately how many he's done for Gen 4 & 5 guys, and I know there are other shops out there that have offered a similar service.

Could it have blown a head gasket? Maybe, but that wouldn't be the first conclusion I'd jump to in this case.
    I suppose anything is possible, but I’d assume there’s a reason he took his heads off and it wasn’t just to port them and leave the rest of the engine stock.

Enthusiast
    This is the kind of deal I always look for, one that doesn't check all the boxes and is being shunned. It's the way to get that deal....

He is asking 90k. I am on the fence about potential headaches. The previous owner has driven it 6k miles on the current setup and hasn’t had any issues.

Enthusiast
    Vipers are built to be on the track... You can tell how heavy it was tracked from the rock chips in the front, windshield, and behind the tires. Did the calipers change color? Rotors? For the engine I think it is a good thing. You know it is not one of the issue engines with heavy track use. Would not scare me and getting a deal sounds like a bonus.

Enthusiast
    He is asking 90k. I am on the fence about potential headaches. The previous owner has driven it 6k miles on the current setup and hasn’t had any issues.
    That sounds like a steal. If you pass on it someone will scoop that up VERY quickly.

Enthusiast
    I talked to that owner, he was shady as he said the car has never had any paint work / etc. Pulled a Carfax on it and it says it was involved in an accident with MAJOR damage, entire driver side of the car was involved, etc. Big red flags with that car. Sounds like the car was t-boned.

Enthusiast
    Don't walk, run from that nightmare. Let someone else deal with those headaches and consider yourself lucky to have avoided it all through do diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by srtoad4 View Post
    I talked to that owner, he was shady as he said the car has never had any paint work / etc. Pulled a Carfax on it and it says it was involved in an accident with MAJOR damage, entire driver side of the car was involved, etc. Big red flags with that car. Sounds like the car was t-boned.
    Yes, he told me he believed the door only was repainted due to it being keyed. The car fax said “severe damage” to the front, side and rear. I looked at the car and those areas were definitely all painted.

He had no paperwork for what was repaired.

He also told me the previous owner only had “one track day but didn’t like it” - little hard to swallow, considering it had paperwork saying there were dedicated track wheels with slicks, 5 point harness and fire extinguisher.
    Last edited by Zajackso; 01-03-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Enthusiast
    A car like this warrants a prepurchase inspection from a knowable person . I would also have an oil sample test done on the engine oil to see if there are any potential issues. If the inspection and oil comes up clean I wouldn’t be afraid of it (especially at a $30K discount). I would not have any worries if it was tracked or not. Usually someone that tracks their car tends to be up on all the maintenance (and then some) .These cars were designed for this type of use. If you plan on just using it on the street you may want to adjust the alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by pMak26 View Post
    That sounds like a steal. If you pass on it someone will scoop that up VERY quickly.
    I’m going to pass on it. If I knew vipers a little more, I’d be a little more willing to take the risk. I’m new to the scene. It’s been for sale for about 3-4 weeks, so it’s not moving that quickly. Here is the link for whoever is interested.

I thought you would like this Used 2013 SRT Viper GTS w/ GTS Laguna Interior Pkg for $92000 on Autotrader http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/24E148E9

Enthusiast
    I don't blame you. It's an entirely different mind set when there is a story, but you are being told the truth about the history. If there are lies involved, then it has to be much worse than represented. If you are talking about a winter beater, it's another thing to spend close to $100K.

Enthusiast
    I’m going to pass on it. If I knew vipers a little more, I’d be a little more willing to take the risk. I’m new to the scene. It’s been for sale for about 3-4 weeks, so it’s not moving that quickly. Here is the link for whoever is interested.

I thought you would like this Used 2013 SRT Viper GTS w/ GTS Laguna Interior Pkg for $92000 on Autotrader http://atcm.co/S2PVDP/24E148E9
    If they are not honest about it I would walk also. Plus if done proper you should not be able to tell it was done.

Enthusiast

Red is a very hard color to match. I wonder if that's the reason the pics are taken inside?

I bought an old E92 M3 as a second track car, that had an accident on the carfax. But because the previous owner considered the car collectible he had all the info you would need to put a buyer at ease. Pics in damaged condition, disassembled condition, and finished. Plus the body shop complete invoice. I bought it with no fear, knowing I was getting a smoking deal because the car had a replaced headlight, fender and bumper cover.

Considering the Vipers price and collectibility advantages over a cheap old Bimmer, I do find it strange the seller wouldn't have all this available. No info, plus obvious lies, I'd walk too.

Enthusiast
    If the car is accident free, I'll buy it. it's located in the Dallas area if you want me to take a look at it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast