Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by srtoad4 View Post
    I talked to that owner, he was shady as he said the car has never had any paint work / etc. Pulled a Carfax on it and it says it was involved in an accident with MAJOR damage, entire driver side of the car was involved, etc. Big red flags with that car. Sounds like the car was t-boned.

I should probably read all the comments before posting

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I should probably read all the comments before posting
    It is in the Dallas area If your interested. The carfax does say “severe damage” reported, but does not say accident. The owner claims the car was keyed and the repair cost was high enough to warrant a “severe” rating, but who knows.

The car drove good. He has 5-6k miles on the tires and they didn’t havnt any odd wear patters that I could see. Paint looked pretty good. I took some video of it if you want me to send it to you.
    Last edited by Zajackso; 01-03-2022 at 11:07 PM.

Enthusiast
    Too risky, I was just going to flip it, I already bought a white one

I wouldn’t touch this thing. Spend an extra $15K and diy yourself a headache free decent example.

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zajackso View Post
    Hello, I am looking at a 2013 viper w about 12k miles. In looking through the paperwork, I see the previous owner has set up the car for the track. From the looks of it, a pretty serious track car. He replaced the heads w blue print ported heads, track wheels with slicks, exhaust, intake, poly bushings, sway bars, long tube headers. The first owner had it for about 7k miles.

Question; how do these handle up to track use? Is it a ticking time bomb considering it’s rough past life?

75% of the car was repainted due to it being “keyed.” No proof of what actual damage was done.

With a 30k discount from market price, is this still risky?
    Have it inspected and a leak down done on it, if it runs right and checks out then you should be fine. Keyed and repainted probably jealous wife , girl friend, mistress or any and all three. 12K miles is really nothing for a viper track or street use if it was taken care of. Vipers are extremely simple cars so they are easy to live, durable and make great track/street cars. Make sure the oil is always right and add an extra quart if your going to the track. Have fun with the car

Enthusiast
    Yes, he told me he believed the door only was repainted due to it being keyed. The car fax said “severe damage” to the front, side and rear. I looked at the car and those areas were definitely all painted.

He had no paperwork for what was repaired.

He also told me the previous owner only had “one track day but didn’t like it” - little hard to swallow, considering it had paperwork saying there were dedicated track wheels with slicks, 5 point harness and fire extinguisher.
    This certainly changes things. However, if I were in the market for a Viper I could hoon around it, I'd have this one inspected for sure but at the asking price it still seems a good deal. Sometimes buying a not perfect car allows you to enjoy it that much more.

Enthusiast
    It is in the Dallas area If your interested. The carfax does say “severe damage” reported, but does not say accident. The owner claims the car was keyed and the repair cost was high enough to warrant a “severe” rating, but who knows.

The car drove good. He has 5-6k miles on the tires and they didn’t havnt any odd wear patters that I could see. Paint looked pretty good. I took some video of it if you want me to send it to you.
    That's funny he now made up a story of it being keyed, as when I brought up the Carfax to him with the severe damage, he goes "I very highly doubt that, there's no paint blend marks, car is perfect", blah blah. He acted like he had no idea about any paint work or damage ever on the car, basically saying Carfax was wrong lol.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I haven’t read of a single person with a Gen V porting the heads and not also changing the cam. This thing needs a thorough inspection.
    Then you haven’t heard of Greg good. Who offered a CNC program for the viper. A lot people generally do heads and cam together but doing just heads on a viper yeilds gains as well as they also cut the heads which bumps up compression.

This was exactly what I was planning to do with my car espically staying stock ecu when you can’t take full advantage of having a cam on these cars.
    Last edited by Properstyle; 01-11-2022 at 07:26 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
    Then you haven’t heard of Greg good. Who offered a CNC program for the viper. A lot people generally do heads and cam together but doing just heads on a viper yeilds gains as well as they also cut the heads which bumps up compression.

This was exactly what I was planning to do with my car especially staying stock ecu when you can’t take full advantage of having a cam on these cars.
    I would think you definitely need a tune with ported heads and especially with higher compression. Higher compression, more airflow and the same timing seems like a bad idea.

Anyway, you never 100% know with a used car like this. Clean low mileage cars can be nightmares and vice versa. Heck, even new cars can be headaches. You play the odds. New cars are a lot less likely to give you problems. Cars with ported heads and no cam and etc CAN be done for fun, but the odds are, there is more to the story.

How much headache and risk is $30k worth to you? I think that's the question. If I had a bigger garage and a lift and more free time, I'd probable be more inclined to roll the dice. Worst case, I spend that $30k on upgrades when things go wrong. Unfortunately, I dont have garage space or time to spare, so I would personally pass. There was a time I'd be more interested in something like this.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post

This was exactly what I was planning to do with my car espically staying stock ecu when you can’t take full advantage of having a cam on these cars.
    I think most in the Viper community have heard of Greg Good, and generally his name is synonymous with Viper heads. That being said, the number of heads(alone) done in Gen 5's is multitudes lower than Gen 1, 2 or 3. I don't think anyone would say heads alone are a bad idea on Gen 5's, but the take rate is low.

Enthusiast
    Just sold for $116,777 +$4500 (buyer's fee) on Cars & Bids https://carsandbids.com/auctions/36M...odge-viper-gts

1C3ADEBZ6DV100005

Enthusiast
    what was the asking price when you looked at it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12