Will UConnect still work when 3G is turned off

I'm hearing that T-Mobile will turn off their 3G network soon. Since they bought Sprint a while back this could mean all of our "old" Uconnect systems lose their Cellular connectivity. I'm curious if anyone knows if it will fall back to 2G or how the UConnect Access will work. Not a huge thing, but after seeing the ACR that was recently stolen, and thankfully recovered, it occurred to me this would be helpful to remain active.

Enthusiast
    An SAE article that I received today leads me to believe that the loss is quite possible when 3G is shut down. Another source stated that starting in 2017, at least some FCA vehicles used 4G. Thus, I suspect that my 2014 GTS will indeed lose the U-connect function. Guess I will wait and see.

2G is already completely gone

this might be somewhat useful:

https://www.200forums.com/threads/uc...ireless.66259/

From May 2021:
    Just got off phone with Chrysler Uconnect. Was informed that 2015 - 2017 Chrysler 200C Uconnect uses older 3G technology which is going obsolete sometime this summer. Although there is a 4G adapter for some Chrysler vehicles, the 200 and two other models cannot use the adapter. We subscribed ($149/year), mainly for the voice text message, which is one of the safety features of the system. They said the phone can still be connected with Bluetooth without Uconnect, but will only be able to reply with pre-selected displayed messages.

Although it is totally unacceptable for a vehicle manufacturer to take our $34K for a car and then discontinue this and other safety features like remote lock, 911, etc., I fully expect they will do it. Person said they were looking into alternative solutions, but we all know they will keep saying that until we just give up and accept our cars no longer have the features that cost us many thousands of extra dollars.

And this may be interesting, also from link above:
    This is the text from the email Uconnect sent to me:

Important Legal Notification about Uconnect Access Services for your 2015 Jeep® Grand Cherokee 1C4RJEBGXXXXXXXXX
    As a valued customer, we want to make you aware of changes that will impact the Uconnect® Access services in your vehicle in the near future. The Uconnect Access system in your vehicle operates on the Sprint 3G CDMA wireless network. This network is scheduled to shut down on or around January 1, 2022.

What this means for you:
    The capacity and coverage of the Sprint 3G CDMA Network is expected to change between now and the time that the Sprint 3G CDMA Network is fully decommissioned. Once decommissioned, the features of the Uconnect Access Advantage Package will no longer operate in your vehicle, including the ability to make 911 calls depending on your location.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Enthusiast
    Other manufacturers like older Lexus's are facing the same issue. There announcing next summer.

There is a 4G Adapter for the Gen V:

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ter-up-to-date

I highly recommend this OBD Port Extension cable with the 4G Adapter as the unit sticks out of the port quite a bit. This cable allows you to mount it out of the way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by EZ 2B Green; 09-28-2021 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue09 View Post
    2G is already completely gone

this might be somewhat useful:

https://www.200forums.com/threads/uc...ireless.66259/

From May 2021:
    Just got off phone with Chrysler Uconnect. Was informed that 2015 - 2017 Chrysler 200C Uconnect uses older 3G technology which is going obsolete sometime this summer. Although there is a 4G adapter for some Chrysler vehicles, the 200 and two other models cannot use the adapter. We subscribed ($149/year), mainly for the voice text message, which is one of the safety features of the system. They said the phone can still be connected with Bluetooth without Uconnect, but will only be able to reply with pre-selected displayed messages.

Although it is totally unacceptable for a vehicle manufacturer to take our $34K for a car and then discontinue this and other safety features like remote lock, 911, etc., I fully expect they will do it. Person said they were looking into alternative solutions, but we all know they will keep saying that until we just give up and accept our cars no longer have the features that cost us many thousands of extra dollars.

And this may be interesting, also from link above:
    This is the text from the email Uconnect sent to me:

Important Legal Notification about Uconnect Access Services for your 2015 Jeep® Grand Cherokee 1C4RJEBGXXXXXXXXX
    As a valued customer, we want to make you aware of changes that will impact the Uconnect® Access services in your vehicle in the near future. The Uconnect Access system in your vehicle operates on the Sprint 3G CDMA wireless network. This network is scheduled to shut down on or around January 1, 2022.

What this means for you:
    The capacity and coverage of the Sprint 3G CDMA Network is expected to change between now and the time that the Sprint 3G CDMA Network is fully decommissioned. Once decommissioned, the features of the Uconnect Access Advantage Package will no longer operate in your vehicle, including the ability to make 911 calls depending on your location.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
    T-Mobile 2G is still working, they use it as a fall back and for "free roaming", and my contact says it will continue to operate. But that won't help us. Good info on all the 3G debacle and the possible 4G adapter. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EZ 2B Green View Post

I highly recommend this OBD Port Extension cable with the 4G Adapter as the unit sticks out of the port quite a bit. This cable allows you to mount it out of the way.

Thanks for the info.
    Now the question is, if we have this adapter will FCA continue to support us? They will know our cars are too old and shouldn't work, so i'd be surprised if they continued to sell us the service.

EDIT: ok, i read the other thread. Seems like i missed the window to get the free upgrade to 4G, but looks like it will continue to be supported. That's good!

Edit2: seems the adapter is still free with subscription.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by PkB2014; 09-28-2021 at 12:20 PM.

i plan to order the extension cable, that 4G adapter does stick out quite a bit. Have you mounted the adapter elsewhere? If so, would love to see pics.

Also, any luck getting the 4G/LTE LED light to go solid green? Best i could get was solid blue. How do we know that the adapter is even working at this point (other than the LED lights)?

Quote Originally Posted by GTS21 View Post
    i plan to order the extension cable, that 4G adapter does stick out quite a bit. Have you mounted the adapter elsewhere? If so, would love to see pics.

Also, any luck getting the 4G/LTE LED light to go solid green? Best i could get was solid blue. How do we know that the adapter is even working at this point (other than the LED lights)?
    All good questions. I'm gonna order the extension also. my adapter is on the way. should be here this weekend and i'll check it out.

Been using it on my Ram for about a month now. I never get green either - blue is the best I can do. And I live in a great reception area.

I have seen Green! (nothing to do with my username btw) Depending on location, I have also seen the network light illuminate blue (weak signal). I'm not concerned that there is an issue. Mine is attached with 3M double sided mounting tape to the HVAC duct (on the opposite side of the footwell with previously mentioned extension cable) pointing downward so you can look under the dash and see the lights if needed.

Some pics.

P1010195.jpg P1010196.jpg

Bonus pic:

P1010200.jpg
    Last edited by EZ 2B Green; 10-02-2021 at 06:24 PM.

I have seen Green! (nothing to do with my username btw) Depending on location, I have also seen the network light illuminate blue (weak signal). I'm not concerned that there is an issue. Mine is attached with 3M double sided mounting tape to the HVAC duct (on the opposite side of the footwell with previously mentioned extension cable) pointing downward so you can look under the dash and see the lights if needed.

I'll try to take a pic next time I have a chance.
    Thanks

Enthusiast
    The blue text is from my post on the Chrysler 200 forum regarding my wife's car. During the phone conversation they said we are "working" on a solution. Of course not a peep since then. Oh well, at least the dongle works for the Gen 5's.

Pics added.

Thanks, did not realize T-Mobile was keeping 2G (GSM) alive for now:

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/cov...work-evolution

I've had one of these 4g adaptor doohickies installed for a while now. Is there any definitive way of knowing if it's working? Thanks

Enthusiast
    Just talked to Uconnect and they said Performance Pages is going away once 3g is done and the 4g adapter won’t bring this back.
    Has anyone else heard this?
    Last edited by Sniper; 06-07-2022 at 02:31 PM.

What radar mount is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Just talked to Uconnect and they said Performance Pages is going away once 3g is done and the 4g adapter won’t bring this back.
    No, but I hope they're wrong. Not sure how having data connection would affect a local app.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by camarochevy1970 View Post
    My guess it's a blendmount. https://blendmount.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ...SAAEgKAhfD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    it went away for me already, and hasn't come back. but i haven't called them to complain or ask how to fix it either. seems dumb that data connection is needed for this though.

Enthusiast
    I know when I click on the Performance Page, it takes awhile to load up. Don’t know if it’s taking awhile because of the amount of info it’s pulling or because it’s actually connecting to the network.

Quote Originally Posted by camarochevy1970 View Post
    It's the stock StickyCup mount that comes with the MAXcam 360c.