Question Titanium used in engines internals

Are you guys using Ti (titanium) in your engine, such as valves, springs retainers or even connecting rods?

Enthusiast
    I've done titanium spring retainers before, but only because they came with the spring package. Haven't looked into, or really even heard of, Ti connecting rods or valves. I'm sure they exist, but I feel like the cost of such units would really outweigh the benefits.

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    "You Guys" is the black hole question

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    I would think Ti is way too flexible.
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2022 BMW X5M Comp
    Resident Misanthrope

Supporting Vendor
    Supporting Vendor
    We used Ti in alot of race motors back in the day. Ti race engine parts are basically consumables very short service life. Valves, push rods, connecting rods, nuts bolts, oil pans, pulleys, engine truss, girdles. Valves didnt last very long 2 -3 races everything else was pretty good on service life but still labor intensive.
    Titanium and all its alloys are not great materials to work with or use in most applications. Special assembly practices, only certain lubricants can be used with it, weird galvanic corrosion, galling, crack sensitivity, etc.
    Only production car that used larger Ti engine parts was the first gen NSX. They had recycled Ti connecting rods that i guess worked pretty well.

Ti spring retainers are pretty easy to get and not so expensive (Manley, Comp cams), I can't find titanium valves for the Viper but it's probably possible to get somewhere, Prefix is offering Ti valves for the HEMI Gen3 6.4L...

And about the connecting rods, I just spoke to Julio from Saenze in FL and they can provide fully custom connecting rods in 300M alloy (300-350$ ea.) or Titanium (600-700$ ea.) based on the precise application, horsepower and target weight.

He says it would be possible to get a weight of 450-ish grams WITH the bolts using Titanium, so it's about 170 grams less than forged steel rods, 1.7kgs (3.75lbs) for the entire engine. That's a lot weight saving for internals. Less stress on the crankshaft and bearings for sure.

Now, is it worth it? That's the big question.

Interesting video that compares Steel, Aluminum and Titanium rods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzblJe7cwCY