Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    The cracks all seem to form at the bushing barrel area near the transition to the inner wishbone ends. Good lighting, reasonable cleaning of these areas and wheels-off, clear inspection photos should be required.

Enthusiast
    Here are pics of my front 2 arms still on the car, 1 is much worse then the other. With a camera or phone to take photos, you do not need ramps or taking the wheels off to check.

I have located and had delivered 2 used replacements which are due to be fitted this week. Delivery times from ordering were 7 days (from Germany) and 9 days (from the USA)

I previously heard horror stories of 10 week delivery from America, so I was very pleasantly surprised. I got 2 good used arms with what look to be perfect stock bushes and hopefully good balljoints for half price of new arms.

I know it's a good idea to replace with poly bushes but that would be too much expense for me at the moment to do all 8 arms. Now I know what to look for, I'll keep a regular check on them.

left front A arm.jpg

right front A arm.jpg

Enthusiast
    Some or all of the Poly Bushings are installed into to metal bushings in the Control Arm , which seems a bit counter intuitive given they rust and expand.....
    Hopefully someone can shed some light on that setup ???

Enthusiast
    No the metal bushing gets pressed out

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the heads up !
    I was thinking of a supplier who use's Delrin Bushings but like this option better .

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
    And here we are again Ladies and gentlemen! This time a Gen IV viper lower front control arm. received_795070714849959.jpg

Enthusiast
    If someone made them in chromoly tubing it could be a good seller........

Enthusiast
    Certainly alarming to see that.

Mark, does this Viper have any "pertinent history" ?

Thanks for posting !

Same crack as on my old gen 2.
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Enthusiast
    Mitch - you're from WI or MI, right? Salted/chem-treated roads there too. I haven't had rubber bushings in my lower wishbones since about '02 (I went to monoballs) and uppers since about '20 (urethane replacements). Both are using the OE galvanized outer bushing sleeves. I run it hard, but not through deicing chemical puddles or potholed roads. And, rarely in inclement weather.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    I haven't had rubber bushings in my lower wishbones since about '02 (I went to monoballs)
    Where did you get the monoballs? Or did you whip up a sleeve set yourself?

Enthusiast
    Pegasus. 5/8", wide series, teflon lined. The sleeves may need a very slight hone to achieve the correct interference fit. I had a press adapter machined to seat them to the correct depth. Spacers/cones have to be machined for correct centering in the frame ears.
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 06-10-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Enthusiast
    The problem here is the sleeves rusting and expanding causing the aluminium arm to fail. So fitting anything that includes the use of the metal sleeve is not a fix.

Enthusiast
    True. However the monoballs are a separate, but related subject.

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    The problem here is the sleeves rusting and expanding causing the aluminium arm to fail. So fitting anything that includes the use of the metal sleeve is not a fix.
    Couldn't disagree more. The corrosion of the aluminum arm itself is the primary root cause of the failure IMO. Any relationship of the arm failure between the arm itself and the bushed or sleeved internal components is secondary to the cause of the arm failure.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Certainly alarming to see that.

Mark, does this Viper have any "pertinent history" ?

Thanks for posting !
    No none that I know of Steve, and being honest if salt is used on the road most of us don't drive while its down, its not like these are everyday drive cars.

Enthusiast
    Totally agree with you, Mark. My general rule says abort if sleet, snow, salt, or sand is/has been on the road...along with cold temps...all of which can occur here in Indy...tending to shorten the driving season somewhat.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    If someone made them in chromoly tubing it could be a good seller........
    Actually pretty easy to do. I needed a set of control arms for another race car project - special configuration - long with clearance for very deep backspace wide wheels. I built a set out of black pipe to verify all dimensions, then transferred that to a set of jigs. My son then welded up a pair out of chrome moly using the jigs I provided. If and when we can no longer find factory pieces for our Vipers, fabrication is always an option. Viper control arms would be fairly simple for a good company with good CAD capability and precision tooling to fabricate. A little heavier than stock and not factory original, but plenty strong.

Corvette 56 control arms 1.jpg

Enthusiast
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pappy again."

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Actually pretty easy to do. I needed a set of control arms for another race car project - special configuration - long with clearance for very deep backspace wide wheels. I built a set out of black pipe to verify all dimensions, then transferred that to a set of jigs. My son then welded up a pair out of chrome moly using the jigs I provided. If and when we can no longer find factory pieces for our Vipers, fabrication is always an option. Viper control arms would be fairly simple for a good company with good CAD capability and precision tooling to fabricate. A little heavier than stock and not factory original, but plenty strong.

Corvette 56 control arms 1.jpg
    Nice work Pappy that's what I'm talking about !
    I suspect Galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals is what accelerates it ........

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Those are purdy.

Enthusiast
    Hello, bump on this thread, I have now been informed of another UK Viper with cracked Arms at the bushing area, so that's 5 UK Vipers now!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    Hello, bump on this thread, I have now been informed of another UK Viper with cracked Arms at the bushing area, so that's 5 UK Vipers now!
    Seems like it could be caused by the cobblestone roads over the pond haha

Enthusiast
    This thread is a great example of why the Forums need to stay LIVE.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast