Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 GTS power steering fluid

Hello all, I am planning to replace my power steering fluid by vacuuming the reservoir multiple times between drives (don't want to “open” the system). What fluid will mix with whatever dealer put in there back in 2000? If replacing the fluid little by little is a bad idea and I do have to crack the system open what fluid should I use? Dealer said stock fluid is discontinued AND the manual specifically says do not use ATF. Please share what you know.

Enthusiast
    MOPAR "Power Steering Fluid" 04883077 (MS 5931) was the factory fill. This fluid is now called MOPAR "Hydraulic System Power Steering Fluid MS-10838...part number WAS 05142893AB...BUT, the NEWEST part number is 68234631AB. This fluid is for use in Vipers from 1992 through 2002.
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 04-17-2021 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    MOPAR "Power Steering Fluid" 04883077 (MS 5931) was the factory fill. This fluid is now called MOPAR "Hydraulic System Power Steering Fluid MS-10838...part number WAS 05142893AB...BUT, the NEWEST part number is 68234631AB. This fluid is for use in Vipers from 1992 through 2002.
    Hello thank you for rapid reply. I believe what you’ve mentioned is what the dealer was offering me. However it said “ATF +4” on the container and was red in color. That scared me away. Any concerned with partially mixing the old “brown/clear” with the new “red” while doing slow reservoir drain and swap?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    B6D2FBD9-F6F4-4ECE-A189-D7A1D00A24F9.jpg

Bottle from a year or so ago. Think its previous part # with AA at the end.
    Last edited by Viperenvy; 04-17-2021 at 08:00 AM.
    Brian
    98 Ronzello PVP Pilot GT2
    99 ACR

Capital Vipers Facebook Group

Capital Vipers Founding Regional President 2018 - 2021
    Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2021/2020/2019, Hilton Head Concours 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    Coordinator - Hagerty Partnership
    Coordinator - Spirit of Viper
    GT2 Owners Group

Enthusiast
    d124716...DO NOT MIX FLUIDS, DO NOT USE ATF+4 in the power steering system of your Gen II Viper.

Use the fluid that I referenced above:

MOPAR "Hydraulic System Power Steering Fluid MS-10838...NEWEST part number is 68234631AB !!!

Enthusiast
    I've been running Mopars since 1978 and have never, ever used any ATF product in the power steering system. I've never had problems.

I’m just curious: what happens if fluids are mixed? Just curious.
    My steering is good. One hears of things not to be done, but rarely the result if the warning was not heeded.

Thank you

Enthusiast
    I hear you, Dean !! Every printed Viper Service Manual from 1992 through 2006 explicitly warns against using an ATF in the power steering system.

Interestingly, in the 2004 Vipers, the factory fill became ATF+4...and it was the factory fill in all Vipers produced from 2004 through 2017.

Enthusiast
    Pure coincidence that widespread power steering line leakage problems began in the Gen 3 cars and continue? One has to wonder.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by d124716 View Post
    Hello all, I am planning to replace my power steering fluid by vacuuming the reservoir multiple times between drives (don't want to “open” the system). What fluid will mix with whatever dealer put in there back in 2000? .
    MOPAR "Power Steering Fluid" 04883077 (MS 5931) was the factory fill.
    FYI, Valvoline Power Steering fluid bottles have been labeled "meets... Chrysler Spec 5931" in the past, at least. I haven't bought any in a year or two: so, I can't say what it is today.

Enthusiast
    Dean, of further interest was that around 1300 of the approximately 1800 new 2003 SRT-10's produced needed a "cooling module recall" to prevent a failure of the steering rack from occurring due to migration of part from said module into the rack. At the time the recall was done, Chrysler would not authorize the Tech use of the ATF+4 in these 2003's even though the 2004's were already showing up with the ATF+4 in the P/S system. Interesting company stance in my opinion. Of course, my Viper Tech suggested that I change over to the ATF+4 which I promptly fid myself. I was happy to see that shared P/S and radiator fan hydraulic system depart when the Gen IV's arrived.
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 04-17-2021 at 02:25 PM.

Enthusiast
    Steve my memory is a bit vague but I recall my 2003 having a recall done to check the power steering and cooling system and then to refill with ATF. Mine did not have the defective issue so nothing else was touched except fluid replacement. No leaks or other issues to date.

Just checked documents. It was C31 and done Nov 2003. It does mention cooling fan module replacement if a check ball retainer is missing.
    Last edited by ViperSRT; 04-17-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Enthusiast
    Your memory is better than mine..
    Thanks !!

Enthusiast
    PWFluid.jpg
    I believe this is the original Fluid. I bought the last case the dealership had about 8 years ago.

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveg View Post
    PWFluid.jpg
    I believe this is the original Fluid. I bought the last case the dealership had about 8 years ago.
    I still have about 6 of the 8 you sold me. Wonder if they are worth as much as headlights are these days.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    I still have about 6 of the 8 you sold me.
    I as well.

I'm unable to find 68234631AB. Does anybody know where I can find some? If not, is Power steering fluid + 4 by MOPAR what I should use? Here it is:

https://viperpartsdepot.com/products...-for-viper-oem

Thanks for any info.

Enthusiast
    Remember the very informative fluid and lube posts by our resident expert "Tom, F&L GoR" ??

As it happens, I spoke with Tom a little over a month ago. He told me that there is a GM equivalent to the MOPAR power steering fluid used in Gen I and II Vipers.

It is " AC Delco Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid"...and the part number on the one quart bottle reads:

10-5044

Thank you so much for the information! My power steering pump is dying and I need the fluid for when I change it. I bought your original suggestion from several places but they all cancelled the orders shortly after saying that they didn't really have the products. Now I can stock up!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Remember the very informative fluid and lube posts by our resident expert "Tom, F&L GoR" ??

Yes! ...a Viper Legend up there with the Wizard & GrailKeeper IMO
    I learned so much Relevant info about fluids from him. Was a breath of fresh air compared to common "my favorite fluids" bickering on forums, plus his 40mm rear brakes with proportioning valve delete was Genius.

Just grabbed a couple bottles of that AC Delco for an overdue P/S flush on the Gen2

ACDelco GM Original Equipment 10-5044 Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid

(Valvoline also meets the Chrysler 5931 Spec like AZTVR mentioned.)

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Does power steering fluid have a shelf life? I still have about 8 qts of the Mopar stuff from back in the day. Still 72 virgins minty-mint in the bottle.

Enthusiast
    I'd say the shelf life is relatively indefinite for a tightly sealed container.

I recently rebuilt both my steering pump and rack & pinion. Since I couldn't find a definitive recommendation on non-ATF, I went with Dan Cragin's advice and used BG Synthetic. It is lighter in viscosity and is dyed green. It doesn't leak and performs flawlessly.
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 04-13-2023 at 04:58 PM.

Enthusiast
    Humm..too much info. I just grabbed the generic AUTOZONE stuff I had laying around that was in a yellow bottle and said Power Steering fluid. Seems to work OK.

Enthusiast
    I bet you use straight 30 weight in your mower too.

s-l500.jpg

Enthusiast
    Don't use ATF unless it states on the cap or in the original user's or service manual. ATF has a bunch of different additives and not compatible with the seals, hoses or components of the steering modules.

ATF is brought up because some cars use it as factory fill. One of GM cars from the 2000s uses ATF for the power steering fluid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast