VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Houston

2005 2006 Occupant Restraint Control Module RECALL

Hello everyone!

Stellantis asked the VOA to help get the word out that there is a recall for 2005 and 2006 Dodge Vipers on the Occupant Restraint Control Module.

The Occupant Restraint Control (ORC) module on these vehicles may inadvertently deploy the airbags and/or seat belt pretensioners. The airbag warning light may or may not precede an inadvertent deployment of the airbags and/or seat belt pretensioners.

To close the recall, the dealer will replace the ORC module. The estimated repair time is about two hours.

To see if you are affected by this, you can visit recalls.mopar.com or contact the FCA Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.

Thank you!

Enthusiast
    My 2003 has not had it done (though2003 is not included in your post?).

Concerns about damage to hard to replace interior pieces and dealer service is the resistance. 2329AD76-E147-45CF-85B4-64E2AFA0BC5B.jpg

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    Concerns about damage to hard to replace interior pieces and dealer service is the resistance.
    I have the same concerns. I would replace it myself if they would provide me the parts though.

I took mine apart and dropped it off. Replaced the module and I put it back together.

The module is basically under the radio / behind the HVAC controls. Not horrible to get to.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by V10Sidepipes View Post
    I took mine apart and dropped it off. Replaced the module and I put it back together.

The module is basically under the radio / behind the HVAC controls. Not horrible to get to.
    Did the same because I installed a double Din Kenwood.

Enthusiast
    I think I'd rather take the chance of the airbag randomly deploying vs taking my Viper to the dealer, could you please let Stellantis know, thanks!!
    Last edited by Mopar'er no car; 03-09-2021 at 08:45 AM.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by V10Sidepipes View Post

This is how the Capital Vipers roll.....
    Brian
    98 Ronzello PVP Pilot GT2
    99 ACR

Capital Vipers Facebook Group

Capital Vipers Founding Regional President 2018 - 2021
    Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2021/2020/2019, Hilton Head Concours 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    Coordinator - Hagerty Partnership
    Coordinator - Spirit of Viper
    GT2 Owners Group

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viperenvy View Post
    This is how the Capital Vipers roll.....
    I've already asked 1 dealer, I'll have to shoot for another one...

My 2003 has not had it done (though2003 is not included in your post?).

Concerns about damage to hard to replace interior pieces and dealer service is the resistance. 2329AD76-E147-45CF-85B4-64E2AFA0BC5B.jpg
    Hello! We here at Stellantis had originally made the post about VE4, another recalls for different model years but are happy to help. We can certainly understand your sentiments about going to your dealership. If you'd like our help in setting up an appointment, we would be happy to do so. If anything happens during the service, we would be happy to help. Feel free to contact us at 1-800-853-1403 or send us a direct message on our social media account for further assistance.

Kaitlin
    Dodge Cares

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I have the same concerns. I would replace it myself if they would provide me the parts though.
    Hi, unfortunately that is not an option. We are happy to help with a dealer appointment or anything else you may need. Feel free to contact us at 1-800-853-1403 or message us on any Dodge social media page.

Kaitlin
    Dodge Cares

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Going Forward, open-recalls may affect the value of your car. CarFax Knows. Some States regulate dealer re-sale of open-recall cars

IF you elect to DIY, be sure your dealer signs off so [SRT, DODGE, FCA, Stellantis], and CarFax can update the vin to "No Open Recall" on this item.

Its also a 5-year old recall, so parts supplies could dwindle if you wait. Right now there are about 80 modules avail thru Dodge in USA, and they are on a restricted-allocated sale basis
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 03-09-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Enthusiast
    First off, I want to thank Kaitlin for taking the time to reach out to the VOA, regarding the recall, and for creating an account to respond to our questions. This is the type of customer service we expect for our special Mopars, whether its our Vipers or any SRT product we own. Second, this is your opportunity to hold the dealerships accountable for servicing our Vipers properly. As we know there are only a handful of dealerships we trust to work on them and repairs will be needed from time to time that not all of us have the ability to do ourselves. We now have direct access to Dodge Cares to voice any concerns (or positive feedback) directly to them.
    I, myself, had a 'not so great' experience at my local dealer when I had my recall done last year. Prior to this, I never had any issues with the work they performed on my Viper. I spoke to several managers at the dealership and was assured that this was not what they expect from their service department and it would not happen again. It's up to us as well to let them know if this happens. Most managers do care and appreciate being told when something is not right. If not, then we need to let Dodge (Stellantis) know.
    Again, thank you Kaitlin for reaching out and responding to our questions.
    Last edited by CopperCrazy; 03-10-2021 at 09:17 AM.

I don’t have a dog in this hunt, but... VERY well said! Good job CC!

Enthusiast
    My 2006 still needs to be serviced for this recall. Has anyone had this recall service performed at White Plains Dodge in NY with an alleged in-house ViperTech named Christopher? How about any other dealer in the Long Island/Westchester area or within the surrounding region with a successful recall service? I have no intention of leaving it with just anyone without at least some favorable referrals/recommendations with known quality care/handling and expertise, if it exists!

Enthusiast
    Just had my recall completed by Alex M at Lithia CDJR in Sanford FL (Previously Fields). No issues whatsoever. Great to have great a Viper tech like Alex in this area.

Just had my recall completed by Alex M at Lithia CDJR in Sanford FL (Previously Fields). No issues whatsoever. Great to have great a Viper tech like Alex in this area.
    Happy to hear that everything went well!

If anyone else needs some help with setting up an appointment, feel free to reach out.

Kaitlin
    Dodge Cares

VOA Member
    since 2013
    Colorado/Montana/Utah/Wyoming
    I had mine done. I also pulled out my double din Pioneer radio and took the car to my local Dodge dealer. They did this recall and the clutch switch recall. Took less than a day. No issues at all.
    Dan St John
    2006 Blue Coupe / Silver Stripes.

My 2004 has a light today!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeyl View Post
    My 2004 has a light today!
    I've had an air bag light come on in three vehicles, every time it was the clock spring. Wheel sensors are common culprits too.
    Last edited by Old School; 03-28-2021 at 08:15 AM.

Does this recall also apply to 2008 Vipers? Mine is finicky when it comes to the passenger airbag light, regardless of there being a passenger or not (and their size). Sometimes it is off and most times it is not. With the same passenger in the seat.

I am concerned about having passengers in the car, especially those where the sensor would pick up as too small/light to fire the airbag.

@Dodge Cares,
    Please let me know if there is a safety recall like that for Gen IV cars.

This is a helpful thread ... Thank you all. After seeing what Kaitlin, Jon, CC had to say, it's the first time I've even entertained the possibility of taking mine in for this recall. I like just south of Houston, TX. I've been to both CDJR service departments near me for other vehicles, wasn't completely sold they could take proper care of my '06 Coupe. I'm not suggesting it's some fragile, priceless work of art - But it's pretty special to me ;-)

Enthusiast
    Hey All,

I was in the Elkton MD dodge RAM Jeep Dealer getting my monthly recall done on my ecodiesel ram and asked about the recall on my 2004 coupe. I gave them the vin and they said " mmmm looks like the part is not available." I said can't you make a call and get one on the way as it is a safety recall?

They never called and when I went back in to ask again and purchase oil filter for the ram, it was a start over process... I called Newark Dodge in Delaware and a week later they texted me saying part was in and scheduled it for Sep 20th. That's where I'll buy my next Ram Jeep or Dodge!

I will let them handle the whole repair replacement and if the damage something it is on them. Hope I make it to the delaer before all the airbags blast me..

Enthusiast

EDIT- Found Viper Techs in Northern Jersey

Hi everyone,

I just learned that the Dodge dealership in Somerville, NJ has 4 Viper Techs working there. Hopefully that helps anyone in the area looking for one to help with the module recall.

Hi everyone,

Would anyone know of a dealer in north Jersey that can replace this? I live outside Morristown, and have tried all the dealers in the area but none have a Viper Tech that can replace the module.

Any help would be appreciated!!
    Last edited by egrasso58; 10-02-2021 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Found answer!

Enthusiast
    I have a great dealer up here. My buddy, gave me the part, I went home took my time, installed it, brought the part back and they cleared the recall and also replaced the safety switch as I was there. Trust me guys, this is not bad but if they crack a bezel or scratch something, you are hooped because there is no way one can get any parts for these cars. The parts are becoming obsolete real quick. I would never contemplate a hack even thinking of taking a screwdriver to my car. Most are good but these guys are on flat rate and only allowed 1.4 hours to fix. This is like right to the floor can't go no more as with these constraints there is no way I could do a great job in this time. I took my time and it took me 3.5 hours. I never dropped the steering column nor messed with the d/s bezel around the speedo and tach as this piece if broken, one is pretty much screwed. I got to it from the side on the drivers side. Radio had to come out for sure as it is held on by 4 pretty heavy duty bolts for obvious reasons. Anyway, hope you guys get it done as it would always be that in the back of my mind psycho thing saying "is this thing going to blow when I'm going 80 MPH on an undivided highway?" I don't want this on my mind nor even contemplate these thoughts even if I'm going to get a slurpee.