Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Gen II thigh bolster is very uncomfortable

Looking for a little advice here:
    The thigh bolsters (the forward most bolster on the bottom half of the seat) in my '97 GTS are incredibly uncomfortable. They both dig into my thighs (the left one seems worse) and it makes it very difficult to drive for more than 30 minutes or so without problems. On a long road trip recently I noticed that I had friggin BRUISES on the back of my left thigh from it.
    I'm 6'1"/210 lbs. I wouldn't consider myself small by any means, but I am not THAT thicc.
    Anybody else experience this?
    Recommendations (short of taking the seat apart and bending the bolsters)?

Cheers
    -Greg

Enthusiast
    Have you tried moving the pedal rack towards you so that your leg is raised more putting less strain on your thigh?

Enthusiast
    The pedals are adjustable?

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    I put mine all the way forward once. Almost took out 4 other cars.

Enthusiast
    My GTS's lower seat bolsters were pretty comfortable and never had any problems with digging into my legs. But then again, I've been told it looks like I'm riding a chicken when I have shorts on.

Enthusiast
    But the guard rail survived

I’m 6’1 and 215, never experienced any issues with my seats. In fact, they are more comfortable to me than any of the LS Lexus’s I had over the years. Has your seat been bent or modified in any way? 100% sure it’s the factory seat?

Enthusiast
    I have a similar issue with the back side of my leg in my thigh have pain when riding in my 96 for a couple of hours with no break; however I have the same issue in my office chair when sitting for a long period of time. I also have a nerve in my spine that occasionally gets pinched from a bulging disc. I cannot say the GTS II seat is the issue.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyb View Post
    100% sure it’s the factory seat?
    It's possible someone swapped in Gen3 seats that have VIPER ebroidered in them. The casual new owner may not know they aren't OEM for that car.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    They are in My 2000 Creampuff, Did the 97 have an adjustable pedal rack?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash86 View Post
    Looking for a little advice here:
    The thigh bolsters (the forward most bolster on the bottom half of the seat) in my '97 GTS are incredibly uncomfortable. They both dig into my thighs (the left one seems worse) and it makes it very difficult to drive for more than 30 minutes or so without problems. On a long road trip recently I noticed that I had friggin BRUISES on the back of my left thigh from it.
    I'm 6'1"/210 lbs. I wouldn't consider myself small by any means, but I am not THAT thicc.
    Anybody else experience this?
    Recommendations (short of taking the seat apart and bending the bolsters)?

Cheers
    -Greg
    Ibuprofen 800mg would work. If not try Tylenol. I can't wait to feel this pain!!!!

Cheers Bruv

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    They are in My 2000 Creampuff, Did the 97 have an adjustable pedal rack?
    The parts manual shows that feature. But the Viper Gen 2 parts manuals are about as accurate as Bill Clinton was in the oval office.

Charlie Brown
    Spirit of Viper
    Legend

Yes, all Gen2s have manually adjustable pedal assemblies -- knob near the crotch cooler vent. I'm pretty sure the Gen1s did also.

Enthusiast
    Have you tried moving the pedal rack towards you so that your leg is raised more putting less strain on your thigh?
    I have. It definitely helps for a little bit but then my knees are in the dash.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyb View Post
    I’m 6’1 and 215, never experienced any issues with my seats. In fact, they are more comfortable to me than any of the LS Lexus’s I had over the years. Has your seat been bent or modified in any way? 100% sure it’s the factory seat?
    I'm sure they are factory seats, but I'm not sure that they haven't been modified. I'll have to link up with some other 2nd gen owners and have a sit...maybe I'll learn something.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AM.MSCL View Post
    I have a similar issue with the back side of my leg in my thigh have pain when riding in my 96 for a couple of hours with no break; however I have the same issue in my office chair when sitting for a long period of time. I also have a nerve in my spine that occasionally gets pinched from a bulging disc. I cannot say the GTS II seat is the issue.
    I hear you on the back pain. But I can physically feel the metal part of the bolster support from inside the seat poking me in the leg.
    I'll just have to keep plugging away at this. I should be removing my seat soon to install a lowering kit, maybe that will allow me to take a closer look and maybe "persuade" the metal into a more comfortable position.

Enthusiast
    It's possible someone swapped in Gen3 seats that have VIPER ebroidered in them. The casual new owner may not know they aren't OEM for that car.
    They are 100% sure 2nd gen seats.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart427 View Post
    Ibuprofen 800mg would work. If not try Tylenol. I can't wait to feel this pain!!!!

Cheers Bruv
    Thanks Joel....
    Really appreciate that solid advice
    You should be good...you got that little runners frame...this car is gonna feel like it was tailor made for you.
    For once, I'm genuinely jealous of shorter guys.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MQQNViper View Post
    Yes, all Gen2s have manually adjustable pedal assemblies -- knob near the crotch cooler vent. I'm pretty sure the Gen1s did also.
    Gen1 did not have adjustable pedals.

Enthusiast
    I have. It definitely helps for a little bit but then my knees are in the dash.
    Wonder if fitting a Seat lowering kit would help you?

How many miles on your car? Wondering if the seat cushion is badly worn?
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 01-24-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Enthusiast
    Wonder if fitting a Seat lowering kit would help you?

How many miles on your car? Wondering if the seat cushion is badly worn?
    Car just turned 6k miles. The cushions feel pretty much new.
    The seat lowering kit should be here by the end of the week...I'm hoping that it will help.
    I'll also have better luck maybe bending the bolsters while I have the seat out for the lowering kit install.

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    Gen1 did not have adjustable pedals.

MOONVIPER needs to stick to Viper Engines!!

and DEAN WAS JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!! Of COURSE he, and 95% of G2 owners, know their pedals are adjustable. The 5% that DONT spawned his tongue-in-cheek question

Enthusiast
    Car just turned 6k miles. The cushions feel pretty much new.
    The seat lowering kit should be here by the end of the week...I'm hoping that it will help.
    I'll also have better luck maybe bending the bolsters while I have the seat out for the lowering kit install.
    EXACT SOLUTION. The steel-hoop bolsters require a lot of directed weight to bend slightly, but they DO bend.....and even one inch helps the big-bootie owner fit more comfortably. Please dont ask me how I know.

Enthusiast

That Is Mean. Just Plain MEAN

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    EXACT SOLUTION. The steel-hoop bolsters require a lot of directed weight to bend slightly, but they DO bend.....and even one inch helps the big-bootie owner fit more comfortably. Please dont ask me how I know.
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip Jon!
    Looking forward to getting the lowering kit installed. Thanks for the quick shipping!

-Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast