Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drying Towel

Enthusiast

Drying Towel

Anyone have a recommendation for a good drying towel? I have on (Meguire's I think) but the shape of the car leaves lots of 'puddles' and it gets saturated very quickly. I can only wipe a small section down before it's leaving streaks everywhere.
    I've seen lots of positive reviews for the Revived Flare Deluxe towel, but wondering what you guys are using. Or maybe I'm just doing this all wrong? Maybe just use regular microfiber to splash off all the bulk water then hit it with a drying towel?

And along with the drying topic, anyone else wrap the mirrors with a microfiber to absorb the water that drips out for days?

Edit: The Griot's towel recommended below looks great. I did get the Revived Flare one as well. Please don't buy it. It's a joke. Incredibly small. I didn't realize it shipped from China when I bought it, so over a month to get it and I laughed as I opened the bag. Maybe I'll use it to dry my wheels.
    Last edited by Hootie; 01-07-2021 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Update

Enthusiast
    I have always had this problem. Maybe it's me and not the towel

I ended up using the Meguire's quick detailer after having dried the car. It's a 15 minute process and it's worth.

Enthusiast
    That's where I'm currently at. Wipe it down, streaks everywhere. Get out the detailer spray and do the whole car, using another ten microfiber cloths as they keep getting wet, especially before door jambs and rear hatch. Looks great. Come back in two minutes, water dripping from mirrors and rear fascia. Remember to open the hatch and dry around there. Looks good! Come back in ten minutes water dripping out mirror. Sills have drips. Oh yeah I forgot to open the doors and dry the sills! Looks great. Mirrors again. Etc. It takes me twice as long to dry the car as it does to wash it.
    I feel like I must be doing something wrong!

Enthusiast
    If its in the budget id recommend an air force master baster for drying the car. The best model is 8hp and has heated air. There is a smaller handheld version. Think that one is only 4 hp.

Enthusiast
    Check out Griot's Garage PFM edgeless drying towel $44.95. It's the largest, thirstiest drying towel in the industry. You will like it. I usually use my backpack leaf blower to dry the car but have used this as well. It works.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 01sapphirebob View Post
    If its in the budget id recommend an air force master baster for drying the car. The best model is 8hp and has heated air. There is a smaller handheld version. Think that one is only 4 hp.
    I've used one of these for years. For the OP's benefit, keep in mind that the 8HP model requires a 20-amp circuit, and not everyone has those in their garage (I had to install my own). Also, the heat that is generated is from the motors themselves; there is no separate heating element in there that I'm aware of. And yes, the air (and hose) does get quite warm after running it for a while. Another fun fact: they use the same type of blower for drying livestock (yes, like cattle).

It also takes me twice as long to dry the car as to wash it, but I think that's par for the course if you really care about how it looks (and water spots look horrible). It takes a substantial amount of time to get the water out of all the possible places it can hide, which is pretty much everywhere on a Viper. If you aren't using a leaf blower or master blaster of some sort, you are pretty much wasting your time. Even with the proper equipment, I'll still find water spots after taking it out for a spin. Whatever you don't get with one of those will become quite evident on your first drive after a wash, and it's always around the mirrors and on the rear bumper.

So while not perfect, the Master Blaster does at least let me get by with only using one drying towel, and it doesn't get all that wet. I also use a separate, older microfiber towel to dry the door jambs and the channels around the hatch.

I've also slowly switched my towels out for ones from The Rag Company. They are very nicely made towels.

Enthusiast
    The master blaster thing is not going to be in the cards for me. I'll try the leaf blower next time to get most of it off. I have a decent backpack blower. Maybe that'll minimize the work the towel has to do. I'll also look into the Griot's towel. Maybe I just need to accept that any one towel isn't going to get the job done, and just have a few on hand?

Enthusiast
    Electric Leaf blower only and Eagle edgeless blue towels from the rag company.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
    The master blaster thing is not going to be in the cards for me. I'll try the leaf blower next time to get most of it off. I have a decent backpack blower. Maybe that'll minimize the work the towel has to do. I'll also look into the Griot's towel. Maybe I just need to accept that any one towel isn't going to get the job done, and just have a few on hand?
    I used a cheap, corded electric leaf blower for years with great success. You just have to be careful with the tip to make sure you don't ding it into the paint.

And yes, in general, one towel isn't going to get the job done.

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    100 mph 1.8 -mile run down to the fish hatchery does it for me.....then soak up the residual spots with my hankie.

{ Does leave an embarrassing wet-spot in my pocket from the hankie...}

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlknBlu View Post
    Electric Leaf blower only and Eagle edgeless blue towels from the rag company.

Bruce
    +1 for The Rag Company

https://www.theragcompany.com/microf...ailing/drying/

Enthusiast
    Griot’s garage. They have an excellent drying towel that I’ve been using. Item 55586 PFM terry weave
    Last edited by Bill W; 12-02-2020 at 04:30 PM.

So far the only towel I've been able to dry an entire car with is the Sucker. https://luxurymicrofiberstore.com/products/moses

Enthusiast
    I know this sounds like I'm being stupid but why don't you dry the car with water FIRST, and then the towel you use will be a TON more effective.

Enthusiast
    Milwaukee, mini blower with a big azz 9 amp hour rechargable battery. Drying towels only add to swirl marks. Forced air from the blower is the only way to go.

Enthusiast
    Chemical Guys MIC_781_01 Waffle Weave Gray Matter 70/30 Blend Microfiber Drying Towel with Silk Edging, 25" x 36"

These are great. I have an assortment (Meguiar's, Rag Co,. no name brands, etc.) but these are my go to.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the tips. When she's uncovered again in the spring I'll give it a go. Going to try drying with water Junkman tip with the Griot's towel afterward. If anything, by then time I am happy with my process I'll have a few towels on hand which will likely be the final solution. What one towel won't do, 5 will.

I use this. It has the power of a gas blower but is clean electric. The air volume and force is incredible and will drive the water out of anywhere. Oh.....works great for leaves too.
    No need for $300.00 air blowers. This thing is awesome. Looks temporarily out of stock but they'll get more.

https://www.worx.com/turbine-800-ele...af-blower.html

Enthusiast
    Not sure I get why a gas blower would be a problem. It's not exhaust that's getting blown down the tube. Should just be ambient air? Am I missing something?

Enthusiast
    I think it is more that the exhaust from the blower is still present, and could be getting sucked in to the system. It would be a small amount, but non-zero, and it's a gas-oil mix.

To me, the bigger issue with using a backpack style leaf blower would be the lack of fine control to really get the air blowing into the cracks and crevices exactly where you want it. You'll get a lot of it, but it might leave a little to be desired. Certainly still worth trying though.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootie View Post
    Not sure I get why a gas blower would be a problem. It's not exhaust that's getting blown down the tube. Should just be ambient air? Am I missing something?
    Gas blowers emit crap that settles all over your car. You don't want that exhaust floating around the car when you're cleaning it. That's EXACTLY why you don't use a gas powered leaf blower to dry your car. Even at the drive through car washes, they use DC motor driver dryers. A buddy of mine owns a car wash and I fixed one for him. Hellacious little blowers those things are.

Enthusiast
    If I had to use a towel, I would use this one.

Enthusiast
    Just picked up a new drying towel from Adam's Polishes on their Black Friday sale. Hoping it's decent. Has to be better than the terrible beach towel I have been using!

I'm with Junkman on the water trick!Ford_Custom_Car_Wash_Girl_542.jpg

Enthusiast
    ... but we are going to have to get that girl a cheeseburger!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast