Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Racing Brake CCB install and review

Racing Brake CCB install and review!

Okay, let’s get this out of the way… Yes, I am a little crazy. But once I get locked onto a vision for a car, I go all in haha. Go big or go home, right? Plus, I always wanted carbon ceramic brakes and being the first one to have these is pretty cool.

I am all about confidence in the cars I drive. The viper is a great car out of the box, but it had a few avenues for improvement. My goal is to turn it into the ultimate street carver with a few track days thrown in. In short, not a racecar for the street, but a street car that can do track. After addressing the suspension with Tractive, my next point was the brakes. Was not happy with the high speed hard braking confidence. The rear wiggle/wag, the fade after a few sessions, the overall stopping power, the brake feel and modulation, were all factors that got me looking for alternatives. Plus, I wanted something that filled the wheels a little more and wasn’t red.

Goals for Brakes:
    1. 6-piston fronts to move the brake bias forward
    2. Bigger front rotors
    3. Balanced system front and back
    4. Lighter than stock (car is a non-track pack GTS)
    5. Different color options (preferably silver or grey to go with the monochromatic theme)
    6. Ability to fit 18/19 track wheel setup (have 19/20 for the street)
    7. Retention of stock handbrake
    8. Multiple pad options
    9. Ability to switch between CC rotors and steel ones
    10. Aftersales support

Options I considered were the ACR CCB, VE BBK, RB steel kit, RB Viper steel kit, RB CCB kit.

The Kit:
    Warren at RB was great about answering my questions and talking me through the various options. RB has a very modular approach and they are happy to work with you to find the right fit. Everything from mixing and matching front and rear calipers, rotor materials, pad materials, etc. Once I settled on the kit, RB kept me updated on the build, anodizing and shipping process every step of the way.

Went with the anodized CCB kit. Why CC? Weight savings (rotational and sprung), longevity on the street, no dust, no rust, and cool factor.

Steel option: https://racingbrake.com/dod-irp-03

Rotor upgrade: https://racingbrake.com/dod-crk-03

Full CCB kit: https://racingbrake.com/rccb-dod-02
    • 2 ea. RB 6-piston caliper (12.9 lbs with bolts and adapters)
    • 2 ea. RB 4-piston caliper (9.55 lbs with bolts and adapters)
    • 2 ea. Front CCM Rotor (13 lbs each, 380x34 mm)
    • 2 ea. Rear CCM Rotor (10.65 lbs each, 360x32mm)
    • 4 ea. Caliper adaptors (includes SS brake lines)
    • 1 Car Set of Street pads (Newly developed ST-600 pads)

(Weights measure by my scale…so plus/minus a few ounces is possible)

Install:
    General install is basically the same as the RB BBK install already posted by KB Viper,
    https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...mounting+bolts

Kit is excellent quality and everything fits together nicely.
    Longest/most complicated part of the install was removing the old brake lines. Getting a wrench on the brake lines and a socket on the brackets holding them called for some interesting angles. Note, fully loosen brake lines from hard line first, before removing the bracket. Having the stability of the bracket helps apply a counter torque when loosening. Also took a bit of trial and error to get the new stainless lines tightened enough so that they didn’t leak at the attachment points. Was afraid of overtightening them…but you can crank the stainless line to the hard line pretty tight. Bleeding the brakes was also pretty easy. Used Motul 600 for that. May bleed them again after cycling through the ABS just to make sure. Rear hand brake is a tight fit, but it does clear the rotor with mm to spare. No dragging while driving from what I can hear/feel.

Additional install resources from RB:
    https://racingbrake.com/tech-tips/

Weight savings:
    Front Rotors: -13.75 lbs each (-27.5lbs from front axle)
    Front Calipers: +2.05 lbs each (+4.1 lbs to front axle)

Rear Rotos: -13.70 lbs each (-27.4lbs from rear axle)
    Rear Calipers: -1.65 lbs each (-3.3 lbs from rear axle)

Overall that equals:
    Loss of 54.9 lbs of rotational weight
    Gain of 0.8 lbs of Caliper weight

First Impressions:
    • They look awesome! Top notch build quality and complement the car perfectly
    • Brakes have little to no noise
    • Car was dirty to begin with, so I can’t comment on the dust. But am going to assume that it will be less than stock if almost non existent
    • Easier to modulate brake pressure over stock. Initial bite is gradual with a nice progression all the way to lock-up. Some CCB can be pretty grabby at the top, these are not.
    • Braking power/bias seems better distributed, but have not been able to push the car yet
    • Steering is lighter and whole front of the car feels lighter. Also feels like I can feel more through the steering wheel. It’s great!
    • Biggest surprise was just how much the suspension changed with the weight loss. Tractive suspension was already great before the brake swap, now…it is on another level. Street setting now gives that cushy ride without being floaty. You feel the bumps in the steering wheel, but the ride is unfazed. Race mode on the street is also vastly improved. I feel like I get twice as much feedback through the steering wheel without the car being harsh; Like all four corners are glued to the road. The same bumps I went over before the brake change are now less jarring. Very very confidence inspiring.
    • Winter is starting to move into the PNW, so a full track test will have to wait until the spring. Stay tuned!

Overall, I love how the car handles and feels now. Definity turning into a forever car! Is the kit worth the price? Depends on your priorities… Personally, I am always a fan of less weight vs more power. Could I get similar stopping performance with the steel brakes? Probably? But I am all about the feeling and experience, so it made sense for me. All the pictures are below. Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Enthusiast
    Brakes arrived from RB (Front)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Brakes arrived from RB (Rear)

Enthusiast
    Weights

Enthusiast
    Installed

Enthusiast
    Old vs New
    Last edited by Speedracer; 10-23-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Those are badass! I wonder what the weight difference is to the ACR CCB

Wow, looks great, less weight! How were they in the wet (your car looks a little damp, LOL). For what I do (normal street driving) not worth the cost of upgrade over my stock Stoptechs. Thanks for posting.

Just out of curiosity, what brake pads did you for stock setup on track?

Cha-Ching. That’s some bucks on brakes, but hey, for CCs it’s actually a bargain. That’s a WOW setup. I’d say the only thing to play with on a GTS, without TP, would be brakes, and you killed it. And that weight savings is bunkers. Did you save any weight with the aftermarket wheels? Just wondering. Congrats on the design and install, awesome work!

Enthusiast
    Will those fit under Sidewinder 2’s?

Well at least it appears they were on sale! Looks great and I'm sure you'll enjoy your first track event with the new set up.

Enthusiast
    Those look awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!

Enthusiast
    Wow great post! Great job weighing everything, most people don't take the time to do it.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost410 View Post
    Those are badass! I wonder what the weight difference is to the ACR CCB
    Thanks! From what I have been able to gather from other member posts, the weights are similar,
    ACR Front Disc: 13 lbs
    RB Front Disc: 13 lbs
    ACR Front Caliper: 14.4 lbs
    RB Front Caliper: 12.9 lbs (about 1.5 lbs lighter)

ACR Rear disk: 10.5 lbs
    RB Rear disk: 10.65 lbs
    ACR Rear Caliper: 9 lbs
    RB Rear Caliper: 9.55 lbs (about 0.55 lbs heavier)

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamvette View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what brake pads did you for stock setup on track?
    Everything was factory stock before the brake swap

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Cha-Ching. That’s some bucks on brakes, but hey, for CCs it’s actually a bargain. That’s a WOW setup. I’d say the only thing to play with on a GTS, without TP, would be brakes, and you killed it. And that weight savings is bunkers. Did you save any weight with the aftermarket wheels? Just wondering. Congrats on the design and install, awesome work!
    Yeah... I promised myself not to go crazy on the engine with this car so I found other avenues lol. The bigger forgelines added a little weight in the front and saved some in the back. This is my street setup, so I was more focused on the tires I could run.

Front with tires mounted:
    Stock OEM Venom (18x10.5 , 295/30R18): 49.2 lbs
    VX-6 Forglines (19x11, 295/30R19): 53.55 lbs (4.35lbs more)

Rear with tires mounted:
    Stock Venom (19x13 , 355/30R19): 64 lbs
    Forgelines (20x13 , 345/30R20): 62.8 lbs (1.2 lbs less)

Like.y a stupid question on my part but ball what does a setup like this run? North of 10k?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
    Will those fit under Sidewinder 2’s?
    I don't think so...rears most likely yes, fronts it would be tight. Open to trying it out if there is someone in the Seattle area with SW2. When I gave the measurements to Forgeline, they said they could definitely build a 18 that fits the front. As far as I know, only the VE BBK will clear the SW2...and it's tight

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT_BluByU View Post
    Like.y a stupid question on my part but ball what does a setup like this run? North of 10k?
    Price range before any discounts is 7k-15k... difference is steel vs carbon rotors

Steel option: https://racingbrake.com/dod-irp-03
    Rotor upgrade: https://racingbrake.com/dod-crk-03
    Full CCB kit: https://racingbrake.com/rccb-dod-02

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Wow great post! Great job weighing everything, most people don't take the time to do it.
    Thanks! Haha as an engineer and a racer I know the frustration. Is a post without weights really a post?

I was wondering if RB still did a kit for the Vipers. Awesome upgrade!

I noticed you are in PNW, just so you know, I believe there is still a track day at ORP (Nov 7th-8th) I will most likely be there first day, wanted to let you know for your testing...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedracer View Post
    I don't think so...rears most likely yes, fronts it would be tight. Open to trying it out if there is someone in the Seattle area with SW2. When I gave the measurements to Forgeline, they said they could definitely build a 18 that fits the front. As far as I know, only the VE BBK will clear the SW2...and it's tight
    Speedracer,

I am in Seattle and have SW2’s.

Enthusiast
    Great thread and documentation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast