Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerMan426 View Post
    Now we all finally know the Junkman origin story!
    Lol! You all are a very select group! Lol! Oh, by the way, 2008 was my Marine Corps boot camp platoon number.
    Last edited by Junkman2008; 10-21-2020 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    Man, sorry to hear about you dad.

That's what detail spray and a microfiber towel will do to your paint, ESPECIALLY if you do it all the time. Once I fixed that spot, his paint looked like a mirror without one drop of wax on it.
    Thanks man, only 52, died while I was deployed....but lets not get down in the dumps and keep this detailing session going

I keep my cars like that, at least they look like that right after a full paint correction session. What do you do for a light dusting then? I figured a quick detailer with a quality MF towel (Rag Company man myself) doing a one pass per side of the MF (like Mike Phillips over at AutoGeek posted years ago) was the best way. I notice the small swirls do come back but IDK of a better way to do it so I just try a limit things as much as i can then do another quick polish right before winter or right after winter. Its always noticeable with the black harleys but as I'm sure you know...once you get into paint correction you see every little swirl regardless of color.... sometimes I wish I could just have a car and not really care, just get from point A to point B but that's not how I was raised lol.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerMan426 View Post
    Thanks man, only 52, died while I was deployed....but lets not get down in the dumps and keep this detailing session going

I keep my cars like that, at least they look like that right after a full paint correction session. What do you do for a light dusting then? I figured a quick detailer with a quality MF towel (Rag Company man myself) doing a one pass per side of the MF (like Mike Phillips over at AutoGeek posted years ago) was the best way. I notice the small swirls do come back but IDK of a better way to do it so I just try a limit things as much as i can then do another quick polish right before winter or right after winter. Its always noticeable with the black harleys but as I'm sure you know...once you get into paint correction you see every little swirl regardless of color.... sometimes I wish I could just have a car and not really care, just get from point A to point B but that's not how I was raised lol.
    Here's the problem with constantly buffing on your paint.

There are no clear coat fairies!!!

Those cute little fairies that appear in your garage at night when everyone is sleep and respray clear coat on your car do NOT exist! That's why you can't keep constantly buffing on your paint. You only have so much clear coat and you want as much of it to remain on the car as possible. So how do I get rid of dust on my car? I WASH IT, 2-bucket style. If the dust is just a little on one part of the car, I use a quick detailer like this (and any quick detailer will work, you don't have to use anything special):

The thing you commented about the black Harley's..... yes..... you sir are becoming unplugged from the paint matrix. Welcome aboard!

Agree on the missing clear coat fairies....need to find them! Check out this video about just how much you would need to polish to break a clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBGT7tNqV1w

Enthusiast
    That video is VERY misleading!

He's using a Rupes polisher, which is nothing but a OVERPRICED PC-7424. They are oscillating polishers and they may even have a dual-action polisher. But that is NOT a ROTARY polisher. In my over 150 videos, you will never see me showing anyone how to use a rotary polisher. You can burn through the clear coat IN ONE PASS with a rotary polisher. A oscillating polisher WILL NOT generate the heat it takes to burn through the paint like a rotary polisher does. That's why I show novices how to use a oscillating polisher. If you screw up, you will mostly end up with paint that still looks like trash but YOU WON'T burn through the paint unless you just get stupid with it and do something like what the guy in the video was doing. Like he said in the video, YOU CAN wipe paint off of an edge because the paint and clear coat is at it's most thinnest in those areas but for the most part, oscillating polisher, which are completely different from a dual-action and rotary polishers, are pretty safe to use. That's why I teach with them.

Yeah I don't see a time where I'll pick up a rotary polisher myself. I'm not doing production line work, just enjoying time with my cars. So I have a griots garage I bought like 10 years ago and a long throw I bought earlier this year when we bought the wife her SRT Jeep. the Griots is now my 3" machine for tight areas and motorcycles with he long though (a china copy of a Rupes big foot) is for 5" pads.

Being another detailing nut, what are you thoughts on this new wave of ceramic coatings? The previous owner had just had a "professional level" ceramic coating installed a few months before I bought the car. While it seems nice I actually don't like it on the Viper as part of the enjoyment I get is taking some time in the evening out in the shop and waxing my cars. Its a relaxing experience and a ceramic coating takes that away. For a DD sure all day every day...unless there is something I'm missing with this new ceramic and graphene movement we're seeing in the detailing world right now.

Enthusiast
    You and I share a similar passion when it comes to rubbing on our cars. I find it very therapeutic. It's my "me time" and I enjoy caressing my lady. As for ceramic coatings, I look at them like the stuff for people who don't know how to care for their paint. It allows them a level of carelessness if you will. However, bad practices will eventually be the downfall of their paint. So count me out of the coatings game, I will stick to best practices when it comes to caring for and protecting my paint.

Enthusiast
    Thank God I've been using the Cali duster and doing waterless wash/detail spray mostly the correct way according to your techniques.....I just like using a plusher towel.

Thanks for posting, Junkman.

Enthusiast
    The pleasure is mine, sir.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12