Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chemical Guys What do you think

Hey everyone, I have been using Wolfgang for most of my detailing supplies in the past. Is anyone familiar with chemical guys? Apparently the soap I need for my gunmetal pearle is the “blacklight hybrid” soap. All good their products sound as confusing as marijuana strains. Haha. Any other detailing brands you recommend?

Enthusiast
    I'd just stick with what you know and like. I've tried different things from time to time over the years, and they're all pretty much the same. I tend to value ease of use over everything else - if something is hard to buff off, it goes in the trash. I don't have time for that garbage. I also don't like anything that is even remotely finicky.

Personally, I like Menzerna products for compounds and polishes...they are reasonably priced for what you get, and are pretty easy to work with. For a sealer, I like some combination of Blackfire and Collinite 845. I've also used Klasse AIO and their sealant glaze, but the AIO dusts a fair amount (in my experience), and the sealant glaze is finicky (has to go on super thin, or it is incredibly hard to buff out). I know Wolfgang has a good following, but I've never tried any of their products.

Soap? Meguiars Gold Class. Why? Because I can find it at least 15-20 stores in a 20 mile radius. When I need something like that, I don't want to have to wait for it to ship to my door.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    I'd just stick with what you know and like. I've tried different things from time to time over the years, and they're all pretty much the same. I tend to value ease of use over everything else - if something is hard to buff off, it goes in the trash. I don't have time for that garbage. I also don't like anything that is even remotely finicky.

Personally, I like Menzerna products for compounds and polishes...they are reasonably priced for what you get, and are pretty easy to work with. For a sealer, I like some combination of Blackfire and Collinite 845. I've also used Klasse AIO and their sealant glaze, but the AIO dusts a fair amount (in my experience), and the sealant glaze is finicky (has to go on super thin, or it is incredibly hard to buff out). I know Wolfgang has a good following, but I've never tried any of their products.

Soap? Meguiars Gold Class. Why? Because I can find it at least 15-20 stores in a 20 mile radius. When I need something like that, I don't want to have to wait for it to ship to my door.
    Thanks for the info!!!!

Enthusiast
    The fact that chemical Guy's products sound confusing is part of their marketing ploy. When you create a bunch of products that do the same exact thing, just changing the color of the product is not going to make people buy it. So you need to be able to describe the same product in as many different ways as possible to confuse the consumer into thinking that they are getting something drastically different when they buy two products that do the same thing. Dazzle them with bulls*** is what I call it. Remember, detailing is NOT rocket science so don't make it so.

Look at it this way. Kroger sells milk with their name on it. So does Albertson's, Lucky's, Dillons, Smith's, Scott's Food & Pharmacy, Harris Teeter, Costco, Publix and Walmart. Now do you think that they all get that milk from specially branded cows? There are only so many chemical companies out there producing these products. A LOT of them come out of the same manufacturing facility. As a wholesaler of these products, you can have them made a specific way so yes, there are differences between brands but don't get caught up in the fancy words on the bottle and start "chasing the shine." Find a product that works TO YOUR SATISFACTION and roll with it. You don't spend what it cost to own a Viper without understanding what you are buying, just because your neighbor likes the way it looks parked next door to HIS house.

All these products are made in the same ten vats in the same factories in China, dyed a different color and given a different scent.

Meguiars Gold it is!

Products are fine and usually go on sale on Amazon Prime Days which just so happen to be coming up next month.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    All these products are made in the same ten vats in the same factories in China, dyed a different color and given a different scent.
    Well, not ALL of them are made in China. Some of the better quality brands are made right here in the good ol' US of A. Hi-Temp is one of them made right here.

I use chemical guys products and like them. Are they better than anything else? Who knows. Just finished doing a full detail on my viper with chemical guys products, wash, clay bar, paint correction polish, glaze, seal, wax. Car looks great and the garage smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by cso19 View Post
    I use chemical guys products and like them. Are they better than anything else? Who knows. Just finished doing a full detail on my viper with chemical guys products, wash, clay bar, paint correction polish, glaze, seal, wax. Car looks great and the garage smells great.
    It’s like oil everyone has their brand they like for whatever reason.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerMan426 View Post
    It’s like oil everyone has their brand they like for whatever reason.
    BINGO, but some of us like to show the proof in the puddin' as to why we would recommend a given product. That's my thing. I could be just some random guy on the internet or I could do this:

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    I agree, just every owner chooses what he personally subjectively likes and uses it.

Here's what I generally use:

Soap: Chemical Guys Mr. Pink or Meguiars Gold Soap (weekly)
    Claybar: Generic/amazon Clay Mitt or Clay sponge (every 6 months)
    Sealant: Jescar Powerlock (applied every 6 months after clay)
    Wax: Collinite 845 (applied every month)

Also FYI certain soaps are not better for certain colors of paint. Blacklight hybrid is not what you "need" per sae. Certain soaps have different properties (e.g., stripping/cleaner soaps, wax soap etc.) but I think this one is just a standard soap (which is good) with marketing hyping it up. Watch out for the marketing gimmicks in the consumer detailing industry. reddit.com/r/autodetailing is a great resource.
    Last edited by SLP; 10-21-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post

Claybar: Generic/amazon Clay Mitt or Clay sponge (every 6 months)
    Why do you clay every 6-months?

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    Why do you clay every 6-months?
    Because I park outside and have a lot of contams where I live. I use a fine clay sponge with quick, light, lubricated minimal passes.

Wax: Collinite 845 (applied every month)
    While that won’t hurt anything that a bit extreme for Collinite 845. That’s 6-12 months on a DD that sits outside type of wax. It’s long lasting ability is why people use that. If you’re doing it once a month use their 915. Makes colors pop more and should last a little over a month on something that’s a DD outside.

That's true, I guess I'm a bit overzealous hah

Enthusiast
    While that won’t hurt anything that a bit extreme for Collinite 845. That’s 6-12 months on a DD that sits outside type of wax. It’s long lasting ability is why people use that. If you’re doing it once a month use their 915. Makes colors pop more and should last a little over a month on something that’s a DD outside.
    If the wax you use makes the color pop, then your paint needs polishing. Wax is a protectant, not a shining agent. If the wax contains polish, as in a AIO (which I consider a lazy man's wax), then that type of product can change the look of your paint. But a straight wax or sealant should not do anything for the look of your paint. If it does, you haven't polished it enough or correctly. The video that I posted earlier in this thread called, "Guess the Wax?" There is not one drop of wax on that paint. That is paint perfected by polishing. No matter what wax I follow that polishing with, the look of the paint is not going to improve or change. Polishing is what makes jewelry, windows, brass, leather and anything else you can think of that you may want to shine. As a military man, I've proven that to myself way more times than I care to remember. A true Wax is used to protect the shine you get from polishing. Hi-Temp's Midnight Express is a sealant that contains polish. So it protects AND shines in one step. A typical AIO.

Enthusiast
    That's true, I guess I'm a bit overzealous hah
    Claying is something that is NOT done on a schedule, it is done when the baggy tells you that it needs to be done. You have a gauge on your car that tells you when you need gas. You don't run to the gas station every times you drive your car because you can see when it needs gas. Claying has a gauge that lets you know when claying is necessary. It's called "the baggy test."

If the wax you use makes the color pop, then your paint needs polishing. Wax is a protectant, not a shining agent. If the wax contains polish, as in a AIO (which I consider a lazy man's wax), then that type of product can change the look of your paint. But a straight wax or sealant should not do anything for the look of your paint. If it does, you haven't polished it enough or correctly. The video that I posted earlier in this thread called, "Guess the Wax?" There is not one drop of wax on that paint. That is paint perfected by polishing. No matter what wax I follow that polishing with, the look of the paint is not going to improve or change. Polishing is what makes jewelry, windows, brass, leather and anything else you can think of that you may want to shine. As a military man, I've proven that to myself way more times than I care to remember. A true Wax is used to protect the shine you get from polishing. Hi-Temp's Midnight Express is a sealant that contains polish. So it protects AND shines in one step. A typical AIO.
    Soooooo idk. I've never personally noticed myself but I've always just assumed that it was me just me not noticing things since why else would we use carnauba wax vs synthetic sealers right? I'll spend about 3 days when I first buy a compounding then polishing, then sealing, then if its another toy car (read nice weather and lives inside) I'll do a coat of a Carllinite 915 wax. For the DDs they'll usually get a daily wipe down with quick detailer or ONR with a spray wax after and a full two bucket once a month. Typically once in the spring and once right before salt goes down they'll get clayed, if needed, and polish, if needed, before another Carlonite 845 for the next 6 months.
    Last edited by ChargerMan426; 10-21-2020 at 12:35 PM.

So since you're active right now Junkman... I have to ask.... why the name Junkman if you're whole internet presence is doing auto detailing? I remember YEARS ago showing my dad one of your videos (he passed in 2013 so yeah its been a while i've been watching and reading your posts) and he said, why would someone take detailing advice from a guy who says he has junk lol.

Claying is something that is NOT done on a schedule, it is done when the baggy tells you that it needs to be done. You have a gauge on your car that tells you when you need gas. You don't run to the gas station every times you drive your car because you can see when it needs gas. Claying has a gauge that lets you know when claying is necessary. It's called "the baggy test."
    Absolutely, the bag is truly revealing. It just so happens that my contaminants build up in my area about every six months, so that's when I take care of it. Good point though, everyone who clays should know about the baggy assessment.

So since you're active right now Junkman... I have to ask.... why the name Junkman if you're whole internet presence is doing auto detailing? I remember YEARS ago showing my dad one of your videos (he passed in 2013 so yeah its been a while i've been watching and reading your posts) and he said, why would someone take detailing advice from a guy who says he has junk lol.
    He's a legend! Similarly I saw his videos around ~2014 and got further into the detailing world because of videos from him and Larry at ammo NYC

Enthusiast
    Back in 1981, I was chasing women around the college campus of Eastern Kentucky University. I saw this one hot chick that I definitely wanted to hook up with but I didn't know her name. That never stopped me before so I called her by what she was wearing. I said, "Hey tight jeans and pink top!" She responded by telling me that if I wanted to speak to her that I had better call her by her name. When she told me her name, she then told me that I couldn't speak to her unless I was a member of her brother fraternity, or a little brother to her sorority. I saw how much hell her brother fraternity's pledges were going through and I thought to myself that if I was going to get abused, I would rather it be women abusing me. So I pledged as a little brother to her sorority.

Before you can pledge, you have to be given a name by the sorority sisters that you wear on a shirt during the entire time that you are pledging. You wear no other shirts, as that shirt marks you as their territory and all other sorority women know not to contact you. You belong to the sorority to which you are pledging. To give us a name, they lined up the guys pledging, ask them questions and gave them a name depending on their answers to the questions. When the sorority sisters got to me and were looking me over, one of them grabbed my ass and squeezed it real hard. She told her other sisters standing there that I had a lot of junk in my trunk.

"The Junkman" was born.
    Last edited by Junkman2008; 10-21-2020 at 06:18 PM.

Now we all finally know the Junkman origin story!

Enthusiast
    Soooooo idk. I've never personally noticed myself but I've always just assumed that it was me just me not noticing things since why else would we use carnauba wax vs synthetic sealers right? I'll spend about 3 days when I first buy a compounding then polishing, then sealing, then if its another toy car (read nice weather and lives inside) I'll do a coat of a Carllinite 915 wax. For the DDs they'll usually get a daily wipe down with quick detailer or ONR with a spray wax after and a full two bucket once a month. Typically once in the spring and once right before salt goes down they'll get clayed, if needed, and polish, if needed, before another Carlonite 845 for the next 6 months.
    Man, sorry to hear about your dad.

The differences in the different types of waxes has to do with their longevity. Synthetic sealants (man made) have a longer lasting protection than say, EVERYTHING else. Carnauba paste waxes make a great topping for sealants as they protect the sealant, which is protecting the paint. So the type of wax that you choose should fit the environment that you are subjecting your car to. A guy who parks his car on the street in NYC all year long should not be using what a guy in northern Florida is using. They see two different climates all year long and the addition of harsh chemicals that get sprayed all over the road in places like NY, North Dakota and Chicago means that you had better be using a good sealant if your car lives outdoors. Arizona and southern Texas see similar climates so those guys would be using something similar.

When you look into the fine details of the products you are using, understanding what the contents do will help you figure out what you should be using and how often it should be used. I would NEVER use a quick detailer to remove dust from my car as all you are doing is making sandpaper. You are pushing MOUNTAINS of dirt around on the surface of your paint and that damage will show up over time. If your paint is in the condition that I keep mine in, that damage will show up RIGHT AWAY. Most people don't realize how much damage they are doing until you show them. Here's a guy at The Chrysler Nationals up in Carlisle who thought that his paint was flawless. I told him to bring me his car:

IMG-1382.jpg

This is what HE and everyone with a untrained eye saw:

IMG-1398.jpg

Then I used my camera to show him what his paint REALLY looked like:

IMG-1397.jpg

That's what detail spray and a microfiber towel will do to your paint, ESPECIALLY if you do it all the time. Once I fixed that spot, his paint looked like a mirror without one drop of wax on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Junkman2008; 10-25-2020 at 05:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast