Enthusiast

Evaporator Core Needed

My car is in the shop. I'm told it needs an evaporator core but they can't find one. I found various prices but not sure how to proceed. Rock Auto has two. One is like $62,00 and the other is over $600. I want a new core and don't want to risk buying junk. Can someone help me find one? I also found one on Moparpartsonsale for around $500. I don't want to purchase the wrong item. https://www.moparpartsonsale.com/cart

Enthusiast
    The cheap one may have a mismarked advertised price. Might be worth a try.
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 09-25-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill W View Post
    Rock Auto has two. One is like $62,00 and the other is over $600.
    Alongside the aftermarket part number that Rockauto has priced at $62, they also reference the Gen 3 evaporator part number. The photo included looks like the Gen 3 part which does not look like a substitute for the Gen 2 part. I would not buy the low price one unless you are prepared to return it.

The Mopar part number listed in the 2002 parts list is 04708196AB for the evaporator. PM sent

Enthusiast
    UPDATE
    I have called several places that have the part listed but none actually have the part, including Rock Auto. Still hunting.

I wonder if the evaporator is really the problem... How was that determined? Are you an A/C tech? I'd try Don Scharf https://www.donscharfautomotive.com/ for a used one....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeft1 View Post
    I wonder if the evaporator is really the problem... How was that determined? Are you an A/C tech? I'd try Don Scharf https://www.donscharfautomotive.com/ for a used one....
    An A/C tech at a Dodge dealership traced it to the evap using dye and light. I have the part and will take it to a radiator shop to see if they can fix it. I'm concerned that a used evap might also leak. They traced the leak as shown with blue arrow.
    InkedIMG_0962_LI.jpg

You have to pull that out of the pass side footwell, correct. I bet that wasn't fun.....................
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    You have to pull that out of the pass side footwell, correct. I bet that wasn't fun.....................
    Almost as much fun as trying to find a replacement LOL. Seems impossible at this point. Hoping a local radiator shop can do it. Thinking maybe this stuff too:
    https://www.acavalanche.com/bd151/
    I emailed Dan Lesser and he said "If the leak is VERY small, I have had good luck with Avalanche Leak Sealer [Small can that said "For Metal Leaks" in the description]." Last resort, but an option although not the best.

Enthusiast
    Okay, so I took my evaporator core to a good radiator shop and they can't fix it. My only option was to purchase a used evaporator core and hope for the best. I ordered one from JonB...then he called a few hours later to say he found a new one in his warehouse. Propbably the only one left in the world LOL. Jon shipped it yesterday. Thank you JonB.
    Last edited by Bill W; 09-30-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Enthusiast
    Sure happy for you, Bill...and, YES...JonB always "goes that extra mile" for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Sure happy for you, Bill...and, YES...JonB always "goes that extra mile" for us.
    Agreed. JonB is badass!

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Okay, so I took my evaporator core to a good radiator shop and they can't fix it. My only option was to purchase used a evaporator core and hope for the best. I ordered one from Jon B...then he called a few hours later to say he found a new one in his warehouse. Propbably the only one left in the world LOL. Jon shipped it yesterday. Thank you Jon B.

U.R. Most Welcome...... it was on the Museum shelf for possible use in my OWN GTS, but you are a past customer, so what-the-heck.

Enthusiast
    Maybe someone who has a dead evaporator could contact the following company and send them an intact core as an example in case they would ever decide to build replacements for Vipers. https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...ts/evaporators
    Last edited by AZTVR; 09-30-2020 at 12:57 PM.

Tech Team

Almost as much fun as trying to find a replacement LOL. Seems impossible at this point. Hoping a local radiator shop can do it. Thinking maybe this stuff too:
    https://www.acavalanche.com/bd151/
    I emailed Dan Lesser and he said "If the leak is VERY small, I have had good luck with Avalanche Leak Sealer [Small can that said "For Metal Leaks" in the description]." Last resort, but an option although not the best.
    Believe me... I dont exactly take that recommendation lightly, as I HATE bullshit products that do more harm than good. But that particular one I have used on a few cheaper vehicles, including one of my Jeep SRT's, and it did exactly as stated. Its tough to justify pulling the dash out of an older, high mileage, low value vehicle for an Evap core, especially when its a ~6 month leak. Red Angel sealer has never worked... just slowed it down. The avalanche did the trick in one shot, and that was over a year ago, and 20K miles back. No issues since. Some A/C systems come with similar products pre-installed these days, now that sealers do not cause system issues like they used to.

Obviously a replacement core is the best option, but if up against a wall... this might do the trick.