Enthusiast

Tranny Screeching

Hi All,
    I have a '13 LE with 11K miles which I purchased in January. After backing out of my garage and driveway, there is a screeching sound when I initially take off in first gear.
    Thereafter, the screeching is no longer there.
    Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what this could be?
    Thank you!

Enthusiast
    Cold clutch? Does it do that while in gear and driving away?

Check the clutch. Trannies whine more than screetch

Enthusiast
    I do think it is the clutch. It only makes the screech when I initially drive away and then its gone. Is this normal? Is there an issue with the clutch? It pulls just fine and I don't feel any slip.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUVENM View Post
    Hi All,
    I have a '13 LE with 11K miles which I purchased in January. After backing out of my garage and driveway, there is a screeching sound when I initially take off in first gear.
    Does it screech if you did all of the actions but don't put it in first gear (i.e. put it in neutral after reversing) and let out the clutch and press the accelerator pedal?

Enthusiast
    I may be completely off, however when my car made sounds like that it was the accessory belt giving a quick squeal on initial take off from a dead stop. My car is a '13 as well on original belt.

Enthusiast
    I've had a bad pilot bearing cause this in other (non-Viper) vehicles.

Could also be the accessory belt.

Enthusiast
    The OEM clutch materials shouldn't screech on take-off.

Are you sure someone didn't install an aftermarket clutch?

The gen v clutch can have a momentry screech when taking off from a Standstill when on an uphill gradient. If thats it.. it would only be momentary. Ive heard this has to do with the clutch springs and multi disk config but i have no first hand knowleadge.

- - - Updated - - -

post a video.. so we can hear exactly what youre talking about.. could be a lot of things.also, when is the last time the transmission fluid and brake fluid was changed.. i hink brake(clutch
    0 is 2yrs/24k and transmission 3yr/36k
    Last edited by SRT_BluByU; 09-17-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Without hearing what you are describing, could it actually be the tires? Depending on the surface of the garage (mine is epoxy coated). If the car sits for a few weeks the tires will make a quick screech sound, especially if you turn the steering wheel a little.

Enthusiast
    Oh thank God. I thought this was about something else.

I have noticed something with my car that I have never experienced in another car with a manual transmission. When I am sitting at a slight incline in my 2013 Viper and I let the clutch out, it's as if the brakes are holding me as the car will not drift back. It does this if the clutch is out or in. Strange but maybe to help with take off on inclines? Dunno.

Could it be this and you have a brake that is hung up for a moment till the force of the wheel corrects it?

Both of my Vipers do this ever now and then. I believe its the Throwout Bearing but I have not confirmed this.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    I have noticed something with my car that I have never experienced in another car with a manual transmission. When I am sitting at a slight incline in my 2013 Viper and I let the clutch out, it's as if the brakes are holding me as the car will not drift back. It does this if the clutch is out or in. Strange but maybe to help with take off on inclines?
    "Hill Start Assist"
    https://driveviper.com/forums/threads/9552-Hill-Assist

Enthusiast
    Boo. Nannies everywhere.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    Could the squeek be from a brake hanging up?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
    Could the squeek be from a brake hanging up?
    Mine will do that from time to time, but you can clearly tell it is the brakes doing it when it happens.

Enthusiast
    Definitely not the brakes and it only happens when I first start out the very first time. It happens when I am in first gear and let the clutch out to start out. It is almost like something isn't quite warmed up yet or oil hasn't gotten to it yet.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I've had a bad pilot bearing cause this in other (non-Viper) vehicles.
    Thoughts, could be either, but, don't you think the throw-out bearing is more likely the noise culprit. If the pilot bearing was going bad, you would probably have a hard time shifting, The key is, if the sound truly come from the front of the trans, as soon as the shifting starts to suffer, the trans has to come out. The pilot bearing costs $30 and the throw-out bearing costs $250 (guesses}. At that point, you also look at the clutch and the the trans synchro's. The clutch disks cannot be replaced, the whole clutch assembly has to be replaced. If anyone has a hard time finding an oem clutch, I do have a pre NthMoto) factory spare.

Enthusiast
    Sounds like a personal problem...

I had a '96 which had this intermittently and I had a hard time diagnosing it - turned out to be pilot bearing.