Hybrid View

New Engine Cranktrain

Although I generally do not mention it, several months ago, I made my first attempt at social media through Instagram - robertlinton1. It is a page (feed) that deals with upgrades including of my 2017 ACR-Extreme. Working with Nth Moto, one of the goals is to build a very responsive approximately 900 HP naturally aspirated engine. In looking at the engine parts generally available, I decided that a bit of upgrading was in order. As a result, new titanium rods, lightweight, high temperature aluminum pistons, titanium aluminide wrist pins and a lightweight crankshaft with tungsten counterweights have been designed and made. Titanium valves and new rocker arms are the next step and should be ready by the end of October. Other items providing for far better cooling (radiator and water to oil heat exchanger) and better air induction are in progress. And, of course, the new Forgeline Wheels with Titanium Center Lock are already complete. Finally, I'm looking to replace and/or materially upgrade some of the aftermarket parts that the dealer, without showing them to me as I was quite far away from that dealer, sold to me, some of which, candidly, are awful (and that is being polite).

pankl_viper_produktfoto_v2-5.jpgpankl_viper_produktfoto_v2-8.jpgpankl_viper_produktfoto_v2-14.jpgViper Wheel.jpg

Should this be of interest, you might want to look at robertlinton1 on Instagram.

Enthusiast
    Got a link available for your page?

Enthusiast
    This is crazy! Are you doing MoTec?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
    Got a link available for your page?
    I found it- https://www.instagram.com/robertlinton1/?hl=en

Just go to Instagram and type in robertlinton1

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Motec.

Thank you for finding the link.

Enthusiast
    OMG, I’ve been waiting for titanium rotating assembly for a while. Reminds me of the Mine’s Skyline from back in the day. Lightening the rotating assembly will wake her up. What redline are you aiming for? De-stroke seems to be an option for high revving track cars. This should make any 911 feel boring once you are done LOL

Oh my. The ACR is getting the 911R treatment. Loving this. Any chance you will also be lightening other aspects of the snake suspension parts etc?

Enthusiast
    Yeah tell us all your plans!

It might be a good idea to look into these

https://www.cheprecision.com/part/trunnion-kits/

They have been know as a small but key part to help LS V8's get to 11,500rpm. That and a tool steel, large diameter cam.

I'm interested to see how high you can get this V10 to spin. I assume you would de-stroke it a bit to keep piston speed in check.

The biggest problem hasn't been the rotation assembly, it's been getting a valve train that doesn't let go destroying the engine. Roller rockers (bearings) have been known to let go. It's like birdshot being thrown into the intake. The iron lifter bores also help the lifters to live a bit longer too....but the lifter it's self becomes a maintenance item and get tossed out after every race. The wheels literally fall off.

As far as head flow. Greg Good has gotten Viper heads to flow 400CFM. The problem was the port velocity was kinda poor. But turning that high of a RPM it may not be an issue.

Just a few things I've learned over the years of blowing up engines.
    Last edited by Whiskey; 09-08-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
    It might be a good idea to look into these

https://www.cheprecision.com/part/trunnion-kits/

They have been know as a small but key part to help LS V8's get to 11,500rpm. That and a tool steel, large diameter cam.

I'm interested to see how high you can get this V10 to spin. I assume you would de-stroke it a bit to keep piston speed in check.

The biggest problem hasn't been the rotation assembly, it's been getting a valve train that doesn't let go destroying the engine. Roller rockers (bearings) have been known to let go. It's like birdshot being thrown into the intake. The iron lifter bores also help the lifters to live a bit longer too....but the lifter it's self becomes a maintenance item and get tossed out after every race. The wheels literally fall off.

As far as head flow. Greg Good has gotten Viper heads to flow 400CFM. The problem was the port velocity was kinda poor. But turning that high of a RPM it may not be an issue.

Just a few things I've learned over the years of blowing up engines.
    We make a bushed rocker option for the OEM rockers and have proven that out to happily run in the low 7000 RPM range, but a build like this one will use a Jesel based system that we've ran hydraulic roller combos up to 8000 RPM with great success and longevity like that. That said, because Mr. Linton likes to do things "all the way" the rocker arm system is being made from titanium instead of aluminum for added benefits.

Mr. Linton has been kind enough to help introduce us to some great people and companies in motorsports that aren't easily accessible which is allowing some very cool parts to be made. That said, the scope of the design project isn't to rev it to the moon or to be full boogie race car status either, so overall power goals and operating RPM range will certainly be high, but still very reasonable in terms of sacrifices made for power gained, which is the name of the game in the NA world.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nth Moto View Post
    That said, the scope of the design project isn't to rev it to the moon or to be full boogie race car status either, so overall power goals and operating RPM range will certainly be high, but still very reasonable in terms of sacrifices made for power gained, which is the name of the game in the NA world.
    Knowing how Robert approaches a lot of his builds I’ve seen, and how he likes a OEM style approach with high end parts would you think a more radical cam setup with a build like this could make 900rwhp? A gen v NA viper trapping 160 would be a riot.

Quote Originally Posted by bullitt2735 View Post
    Knowing how Robert approaches a lot of his builds I’ve seen, and how he likes a OEM style approach with high end parts would you think a more radical cam setup with a build like this could make 900rwhp? A gen v NA viper trapping 160 would be a riot.
    With an NA build it all comes down to compromises - if Mr. Linton's primary goal were power and we were using this level of quality components and had open design criteria on engine setup I think you'd see pretty tremendous power. It's completely realistic to think that 950-1000 CHP (Crank) is possible based on what we've achieved with less cubes, less cylinder head, less intake, etc. But, that type of combination would be deemed undrivable by most all Viper owners, being frank. Historically the Viper owner market is very conservative compared to other markets when it comes to sacrifices willing to be made in the name of power, and cost willing to be spent - speaking directly to the NA side of things here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Moto View Post
    With an NA build it all comes down to compromises - if Mr. Linton's primary goal were power and we were using this level of quality components and had open design criteria on engine setup I think you'd see pretty tremendous power. It's completely realistic to think that 950-1000 CHP (Crank) is possible based on what we've achieved with less cubes, less cylinder head, less intake, etc. But, that type of combination would be deemed undrivable by most all Viper owners, being frank. Historically the Viper owner market is very conservative compared to other markets when it comes to sacrifices willing to be made in the name of power, and cost willing to be spent - speaking directly to the NA side of things here.
    Agree 100%

Enthusiast
    Subscribed!

Enthusiast
    Robert, are you still doing the titanium shock springs? What about carbon fiber sway bars?

Enthusiast
    How do you handle the galling issue with titanium?

Out of curiosity, why would it be deemed undrivable by most? Cam surge, frequent solid lifter adjustments, specific fuel requirements etc?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would it be deemed undrivable by most? Cam surge, frequent solid lifter adjustments, specific fuel requirements etc?
    Because some Viper owners think they are driving an Aston Martin when in reality it’s a go-kart with a V10 lol. Even in TA trim and street suspension the car is a horrible street driving experience. Any more race car personality and people will never drive it. These things should only be track cars. I totally see tuners sick and tired of brats complaining about comfort, sound, and drive ability while running an NA engine with a cam that is making 800whp - “it doesn’t drive as nice as my mclaren” LOL. As if anything is supposed to be more plush and conservative than OEM coming out of the factory. I commend you tuners for having the patience to deal with the Viper market. It takes some serious love for the car to continue to develop and provide service for such a low volume platform.

Enthusiast
    A little diff opinion with the toyo's and MCS shocks, my car rides extremely well on the street for a 700 hp car.

Quote Originally Posted by sadil View Post
    Because some Viper owners think they are driving an Aston Martin when in reality it’s a go-kart with a V10 lol. Even in TA trim and street suspension the car is a horrible street driving experience. Any more race car personality and people will never drive it. These things should only be track cars. I totally see tuners sick and tired of brats complaining about comfort, sound, and drive ability while running an NA engine with a cam that is making 800whp - “it doesn’t drive as nice as my mclaren” LOL. As if anything is supposed to be more plush and conservative than OEM coming out of the factory. I commend you tuners for having the patience to deal with the Viper market. It takes some serious love for the car to continue to develop and provide service for such a low volume platform.
    TY

Titanium Center Lock System. As, unfortunately, my time is very limited, if anyone is interested, future updates will be on Instagram: robertlinton1.

Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Thats so sick looking!

Enthusiast
    Sick!!!!

Enthusiast
    Since it's not for track duty, the centerlocks are cool. Otherwise I really feel for the GT3 guys at the track changing wheels, especially in the Arizona heat. If anyone has seen these poor guys with their 8 foot long, $6000 torque wrenches swearing, cursing, sweating and their feet dangling in mid air and still cant get them off, you know what I mean LOL