Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

How to Build a MEDUSA

Well, last project was a success and its time for the next Viper build.

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ame-Conversion

I was toying with the idea of the TARGA top for the next project but then decided on a Convertible instead. The TARGA will have some techniques I will have to learn to master a little better while building the MEDUSA. This project will take me through to next spring, if all goes as planned, and I should have a good time figuring out a few problems and fabricating the solution.

The frame I will start with is the frame from Alex Rebuild's wrecked Viper and then I will splice in a good front frame into the mix to make sure the engine cradle is right and the frame is straight all the way through. Now, if I still lived in Michigan I would have just pulled the frame straight on a frame machine and been off to the races... but here in Virginia, it is very hard to find anyone who is willing to pull a frame for just anybody. I spent about a year going from one shop to another with no luck getting anybody to help me out. So, cutting and splicing is the solution I will use.

And for those of you that think I am crazy or that this will never come to be... well, I have heard it all before and I think I am more than capable of building a Viper the way I want to build it. This is not my first adventure down this road.

Again, I am posting my build here to keep my motivation up and to keep the project moving along. I expect the following to be temporary delays in the build process:

1) Finding a Gen 3/4 convertible rear tub - only need the top part of the tub so a cracked up tub is perfectly acceptable.

2) Finding a Gen 3/4 convertible rear hatch - a hatch that has been cracked in the rear is good to go as I will be cutting off the rear portion of the hatch to splice.

3) Finding a GEN 5 hatch that is damaged or cracked at the top - I only need the rear of the hatch to allow me to splice it with the rear of the GEN 3/4

4) Finding a cheap Gen 3/4 window frame - I do not like the 1" splice in the medusa and will use a GEN 3/4 window frame to keep the frame to top with a clean profile.
    Last edited by viperguy69; 06-20-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Enthusiast
    Last edited by viperguy69; 06-20-2020 at 05:57 PM.

Enthusiast
    I am familiar with the prior build and I know this will be awesome! Looking forward to updates!

Enthusiast
    man cudos to some of you guys, I replaced my oil cooler lines and thought I was King Dingaling and you are doing stuff like this. that is awesome, definitely following.

Enthusiast
    Not gonna lie...I thought you were full of shit for your first build. You proved me very wrong on that one. I have no doubt you'll pull this one off too. Threads like these provide the best insight into how these things are built...unless you worked at Conner, this is about as good as the rest of us can hope for.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Not gonna lie...I thought you were full of shit for your first build. You proved me very wrong on that one. I have no doubt you'll pull this one off too. Threads like these provide the best insight into how these things are built...unless you worked at Conner, this is about as good as the rest of us can hope for.
    Lol... I lived about 10 miles away from the Conner Plant. However, I have been in the Marine Corps (1991) since they started building Vipers. So, other than the occasional visit, I never worked there. Just to bring back the memories of a few years ago...

What I started with:
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

What I ended up with and still own:
    20190614_104342_MOD.jpg

This will be my second Viper added to the Collection, my retirement project for the 100+ days of terminal leave I have on the books to burn before finding the next job!

Enthusiast
    That is crazy. Really like that color too.

Enthusiast
    You are the real deal when it come to doing a project like this. Excited to follow along.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    That is crazy. Really like that color too.
    Thanks, the color really brings back my memories of my Copperhead.

Quote Originally Posted by SRT BILL View Post
    You are the real deal when it come to doing a project like this. Excited to follow along.
    Hope I don't disappoint and I hope it helps others to want to rebuild similar vehicles or to keep posting their mods... I love everyone's mods!

Enthusiast
    Who was the guy that had the fiberglass overlays for the ACR-E hood vents on the classifieds? I saw it and meant to send him a few RFI's but they sold before I could get in touch with him!

Good luck!
    I am very familiar with both our Medusa's and Targas!

Enthusiast

Subscribed....

Very cool you should start a YouTube channel for this build you would probably get sponsorship and free parts to help you with your build which is a lot more in depth than your average repair or upgrade best of luck and looking forward to following your progress

Loved following the last build this one sounds just as exciting

Enthusiast
    Amazing work! Looking forward to seeing all the results!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRSNK View Post
    Very cool you should start a YouTube channel for this build you would probably get sponsorship and free parts to help you with your build which is a lot more in depth than your average repair or upgrade best of luck and looking forward to following your progress

Loved following the last build this one sounds just as exciting
    I like this idea.

Enthusiast
    Very interested to see the frame welding and alignment configuration,
    Youtube videos would be great

Goodluck with the build

Subscribed

Enthusiast
    WOW!!!

Enthusiast
    Subscribed

Enthusiast
    Awesome work !!!

Subscribed ............

Cool - excited to follow along - turning my Viper into a Targa would be a bucket list item I think, it'll be fun to see the convertible conversion

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Just finished this Mod on mine.

Enthusiast
    I'm pleased if I can change my tires without breaking a stud. If I only had half of your mechanical skill!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    I'm pleased if I can change my tires without breaking a stud. If I only had half of your mechanical skill!
    It has nothing to with skills.
    It's dedication. Get yourself a project and go to town.

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
    So, are you using another wrecked Viper to build this one? Or the pics of the frame looks like the old frame from your Carbon Car. Anyways Great Job!!!!! Watched your last build,Very Good work

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast