Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    I watched a great Video last night from a guy performing expert frame repairs
    Check out the Video @56:51

Enthusiast
    lol !

As Clint Eastwood would say " A Man should know his Limitations..............."

Enthusiast
    Well, sometimes you get sidetracked and lose your focus on what you really enjoy about Vipers. I really want to get back to this project as these parts just keep stacking up as I have run out of boxes to store anything... What the heck was I thinking!

20211217_212245.jpg
    Last edited by viperguy69; 12-17-2021 at 11:35 PM.

Enthusiast

Smile

^^^Fixed^^^

20211217_212245.jpeg

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Truckin View Post
    Thanks...

Enthusiast
    This is some impressive shit, I'd recommend recording the process. Rich Rebuilds makes a very nice living from doing just that

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This is some impressive shit, I'd recommend recording the process. Rich Rebuilds makes a very nice living from doing just that
    I spent many a night up at late hours giving him parts numbers and torque specs so that he could rebuild that car.

I know my limitations. I would love to document and publish this build but I value my time with the car and the club more then another project to direct, edit, cut, and put in cool soundtracks for this build. If I was 10 years younger, maybe.... you should see the basement with all the panels, multiple sets of doors, multiple sets of seats, and various trim parts. I really need to put the car together to get some of space back again.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by viperguy69 View Post
    I spent many a night up at late hours giving him parts numbers and torque specs so that he could rebuild that car.

I know my limitations. I would love to document and publish this build but I value my time with the car and the club more then another project to direct, edit, cut, and put in cool soundtracks for this build. If I was 10 years younger, maybe.... you should see the basement with all the panels, multiple sets of doors, multiple sets of seats, and various trim parts. I really need to put the car together to get some of space back again.
    That sounds like a good problem to have

Subscribed

Nice project. Looking forward to the it as I did your last one. Do I see an RT10 wheels in the pic above?

Would love to see someone update an RT10 with a G5 engine/Chassis etc. Still a classic and the Viper that started my love for the model.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakebit10 View Post
    Nice project. Looking forward to the it as I did your last one. Do I see an RT10 wheels in the pic above?

Would love to see someone update an RT10 with a G5 engine/Chassis etc. Still a classic and the Viper that started my love for the model.
    SAME! G5 9.0L in a gen 1 would be a sweet build. stand alone ECU probably the only way to do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by RCR88 View Post
    SAME! G5 9.0L in a gen 1 would be a sweet build. stand alone ECU probably the only way to do it though.
    This sounds like a Viper-version of one of those Singer Porsche 911s! It'd be one helluva build!!

Enthusiast
    Hawk let me borrow the fiberglass ACR Fender Louver kit he had so that I could convert the two GTS hoods I have into 2 Vent ACR style hood. Thanks Dennis, got to get the Gen 1 moved into the storage these next few weeks to start cutting up those other two hoods.

I would love to do that too my Stryker Orange car that I built but that is an SRT design & test hood that was fabricated (0002) as an engineering sample for form, fit, and design improvements. So, I do not want to ruin that whole effect going on there.

Enthusiast
    Well, time to get back onto this project. Seems like all I have done this past year is to stack boxes on the frame instead of putting this Viper together.

To re-motivate myself, I jump-started this project with some hood time. Cutting the first of two GTS hoods with hood vents.

Thanks Hawk, those were very useful and easier then I thought to getting it done.

20220422_161959.jpg20220422_162852.jpg20220422_171223.jpg
    Last edited by viperguy69; 04-25-2022 at 12:06 AM.

Enthusiast
    This is what the rough cut look like, just need to clean it up now to make the edges a straight, round, and finished... then get to work on the green hood this weekend.

20220424_151321.jpg
    Last edited by viperguy69; 04-25-2022 at 12:15 AM.

impressive.. i bet cutting on that hood makes ya pinch the cheeks.

Enthusiast
    I've seen several posts on this site about people installing the ACR hood vents over the tires. I don't remember anyone saying whether they painted the edges around the cut. I assume this must be done. How did they do it? Take it to a body shop? Paint it themselves? Use a touch up bottle?

Viperguy69, where do you get all the parts? Many are discontinued or on national back order. ACR side sills, window regulators, etc.
    Last edited by ViperGeorge; 04-25-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Enthusiast
    I'd imagine sanding and polishing would go a long way, which you'd need to do before painting anyway, but I'm curious too- especially for cars that aren't black.

I asked that same paint question from one of the guys here that did it, and he said he never painted the edge - cleaned up the cut and left it raw and it looked nice. Would make me so nervous about having the paint chip or flake from the edge if it wasn't at least cleared.

I've thought about doing this mod so many times

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    I've seen several posts on this site about people installing the ACR hood vents over the tires. I don't remember anyone saying whether they painted the edges around the cut. I assume this must be done. How did they do it? Take it to a body shop? Paint it themselves? Use a touch up bottle?

Viperguy69, where do you get all the parts? Many are discontinued or on national back order. ACR side sills, window regulators, etc.
    I collected parts for many years for the GEN V, regret selling some of the parts to be honest. When VLF was making Force Ones, I was getting a lot of their parts. When the test cars were going to the scrap pile, I was buying the panels. Now, most of my sources have gone away. I am still looking for a driver's side brake line and have been trying to order one since 2016.

As for the cuts, I will have them painted when I get the hoods painted for whatever color I go with for the cars. However, I am going to leave the Vents painted maybe a satin black or a gloss black with a little bit of flak.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by viperguy69 View Post
    I collected parts for many years for the GEN V, regret selling some of the parts to be honest. When VLF was making Force Ones, I was getting a lot of their parts. When the test cars were going to the scrap pile, I was buying the panels. Now, most of my sources have gone away. I am still looking for a driver's side brake line and have been trying to order one since 2016.

As for the cuts, I will have them painted when I get the hoods painted for whatever color I go with for the cars. However, I am going to leave the Vents painted maybe a satin black or a gloss black with a little bit of flak.
    Are you in need of a brake line to the caliper? If so, JonB usually sells the braided stainless ones.

Enthusiast
    No, I need the brake line from the ABS unit to the where that flex line would be coupled to. I made the one that is currently in my other GEN V and it did not fail me on the track yet, so I guess I did something right.

Enthusiast
    Regarding painting the edges of the fender vents, here are a couple that I cut. I did not paint either one. The carbon fiber is so thin it only leaves a tiny black edge, which is almost not noticeable. The yellow car has carbon fiber vents installed, and it looks like the black edge belongs there. Also, as a technique, when I cut the larger holes in the back skin of the hood (to accommodate the vent inserts), I slip a thin sheet of stainless steel between the outer and inner hood skins to protect the outer skin from a cut. If I see sparks, I back off - LOL. Hope this helps.

Pappy

Cable HoodHoles-009.jpg

Fender Vents 7.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Regarding painting the edges of the fender vents, here are a couple that I cut. I did not paint either one. The carbon fiber is so thin it only leaves a tiny black edge, which is almost not noticeable. The yellow car has carbon fiber vents installed, and it looks like the black edge belongs there. Also, as a technique, when I cut the larger holes in the back skin of the hood (to accommodate the vent inserts), I slip a thin sheet of stainless steel between the outer and inner hood skins to protect the outer skin from a cut. If I see sparks, I back off - LOL. Hope this helps.

Pappy

Cable HoodHoles-009.jpg

Fender Vents 7.jpg
    Thanks Pappy, that answers my question. You still must have bigger you know what than I do because I would never attempt doing those cuts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast