Enthusiast

Filling T56 trans from the top

Hey Guys,

I’m putting in a short shifter along with installing a hard wired radar detector, fixing an RCA cable in an aftermarket stereo and re installing an amp. Basically the interior is stripped right now in my gen 3 coupe. I found the rubber shift boot on my stock shifter to have disintegrated and dumped all kinds of rubber into the upper trans housing. I’m going to dump and flush the trans fluid. Can the T56 trans be filled from the top just the same as a terminator mustang with a T56? It would be much easier for me to fill from the top right now considering everything is torn out.

Thanks

Enthusiast
    I don't see why not, but you'd still want to pull the fill plug to check the level.

Enthusiast
    Ok cool. I don’t mind pulling the fill plug but I hate filling with a pump. Much easier for me to fill from the top now and just check the level from the bottom.

Enthusiast
    T-56 can definitely be filled from the top...used to do it all the time on my Camaro. Just make sure you don't overfill.

Enthusiast
    Just did mine the other day. Used my wife and 5ft of tubing run down through engine bay to fill hole. worked great, and didn't have to mess with a pump. But since your shifter is already off the trans....easy button.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerJRP View Post
    Just did mine the other day. Used my wife and 5ft of tubing run down through engine bay to fill hole. worked great, and didn't have to mess with a pump. But since your shifter is already off the trans....easy button.
    Hate to say it but if I commissioned my gf to assist, there would be transmission fluid all over the garage floor. The water heater would catch it on fire, no idea how, but it would happen. My house would burn down and the neighbor’s 3 year old would wander into my garage during the event and I would be liable. Is that pessimistic lol??

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by red_vs_blue View Post
    Hate to say it but if I commissioned my gf to assist, there would be transmission fluid all over the garage floor. The water heater would catch it on fire, no idea how, but it would happen. My house would burn down and the neighbor’s 3 year old would wander into my garage during the event and I would be liable. Is that pessimistic lol??
    That's pretty funny!