Enthusiast

Need TPMS Sensor Programming in San Diego for a 2003 SRT 10

For my 2003 SRT-10, I purchased new Schrader 20028 TPMS sensors from Jon B at PartsRack with a set of new tires.

Discount Tire mounted the tires and replaced the sensors, but their scan tool only went back to 2004, not 2003 and they could not reprogram the TPMS module.

My trusted local auto repair shop had a scan tool that only went back to 2004. He had three scan tools, none worked.

My local Dodge dealer, Kearny Mesa Dodge, wanted $240 and could not guarantee that they’d be successful. My trusted local repair shop called his contact there and their tool also does not go back to 2003 and their Viper techs are gone.

So, after replacing the TPMS, I still have the “Lo Tire” warning.

I am in San Diego. Any ideas?

Is renting the Chrysler DRBIII tool an option?

Enthusiast
    See Dan Cragin at SPT in Alhambra.

UPDATE: If your local tech needs coaching, I would be happy to lead him through the process using a DRB III...assuming that you have the correct sensors, and that he has a strong magnet as well as a functioning DRB III. I have done that for/at several dealerships ( and routinely do it for a local tire shop who takes great care of our Viper posse) over the years. The worse one that I have encountered was at a good friend's dealership where the "Viper Tech" had the poor guy in 4 different times over a few weeks...throwing parts at the Viper...such as a TPS Module, a Body Control Module, and multiple failed programming attempts using the wrong tool. When I got called by a Service Advisor to pay them a visit, it took the usual couple of minutes...which needs to be followed by a short drive (up to 1.2 miles) to clear the low tire message. It's not hard !!

If I am doing it myself with my tools, it takes me less than 2 minutes. I just did one on an 08 a couple of weeks ago on a friend's Viper parked in front of my house.

For $240, you could drive to Indy and have it done by me for FREE !!!
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 06-15-2020 at 06:41 PM.

Enthusiast
    Dan did a "DC Performance" Stage 1 upgrade on my car in 2003. If anyone remembers, some of the early Gen-III cars had the wrong engine valves. 200 cars were in the recall although it was thought only a few had the problem. Dan swapped out the valves, put in roller rockers and a Cat-back exhaust. Unfortunately, he is two hours away ----- but I will drive up if I can't find someone closer to home. Thanks.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    If I am doing it myself with my tools, it takes me less than 2 minutes.
    This is true, I had never done it before, so it took me 3 minutes with a borrowed DRBIII. It's literately, use the DRB to put the module in the learn mode, then do one lap around the car putting the magnet on each valve stem.
    Last edited by Old School; 06-16-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Could something like the Autel line of TPMS tools and TPMS modules be used for Gen 3/4 vipers?

Enthusiast
    While I know nothing about Autel, the Bartec tools used in large tire shops would not do the job on Gen III or IV Vipers when I tested their high end model several years ago. I must add that Bartec could not have been nicer or
    or more helpful in this endeavor as they not only loaned me a new $2500.00 tool but also gave me the tech support for the tests.

Ugg....so not if but when my TPMS batteries die I'm stuck going to a dealership and hoping to find someone that has an understanding of how to use a tool they probably haven't touched in a decade.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerMan426 View Post
    Ugg....so not if but when my TPMS batteries die I'm stuck going to a dealership and hoping to find someone that has an understanding of how to use a tool they probably haven't touched in a decade.
    Anyone with just a little common sense can drill down through the 2 or 3 menus to get to the 'program TPS page'.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Anyone with just a little common sense can drill down through the 2 or 3 menus to get to the 'program TPS page'.
    I think what OP is dealing with is a great example of how common sense isn’t common....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerMan426 View Post
    Could something like the Autel line of TPMS tools and TPMS modules be used for Gen 3/4 vipers?
    So yes, and maybe no. It depends.

I currently own an Autel TS501. It has no problems reading out the codes on my Gen 4 TPMS sensors. I also have a set of cloned sensors from Dan Lesser in a spare set of wheels, and it reads those out just fine as well. I don't know if you can actually use the TS501 to interface with and reprogram the Viper's TPMS module through the OBD-II port, but you don't necessarily have to do that depending on how you want to handle things. TPMS sensors can be easily cloned these days, and Autel offers an all-in-one TPMS sensor that should work. You can program Autel sensors with the TS501 - you can either clone existing codes, or it will assign new ones, your choice. It will only work with Autel sensors, though, not any other brand of blank sensor.

I've successfully cloned Viper TPMS sensors by doing the following:

1. Read out the TPMS codes at each wheel with the Autel TS501 (I already had the codes, but this let me verify them)
    2. Used that information to clone a new set of Alligator Sens.it TPMS sensors using the Alligator programming pad

I liked the Alligator sensors because they are made in Germany, they are reasonably priced ($27.50 each for ones that will work on a Viper), and their programming pad is very cheap ($50). As long as you can get the codes and the operating frequency (433 MHz for a Viper), there's nothing else to it. Just follow the on-screen prompts, put the sensors on the pads when asked to, and that's it. Install them like you would any other TPMS sensor (they adjust from 20-40° to fit most wheels), mount the tires, and you are on your way. I also recently used this method to clone a set of replacement sensors for my daily driven Tacoma - the originals were 13 years old, and although they tested fine, I decided it was time to replace them. I'm now running Alligator TPMS sensors in my truck, and it doesn't know any better. I'll see how long they last.

There are a lot of companies now offering all-in-one sensors (dual band 315/433 MHz). I'm guessing that as long as you know how to program them, they'll work just fine. The Autel tool I have is very straightforward to use.

About the only surprise I had with my Viper was with the codes themselves. When you read them out with the TS501, they are in hex format. The codes written on the sensors themselves are in base-10, and they are also programmed in base-10 (the Alligator programming pad already knew this though). There are plenty of web-based hex to base-10 converters out there, and the Alligator software included one as well. It's just a small detail, but something to be aware of. When I first read them out with the Autel tool, I was expecting an 8-digit number to come back. Instead I was greeted with a 6-digit hex number - once you converted it to base-10, however, everything lined up exactly like it should.

I guess that's the other thing to remember - pre-programmed sensors have the codes written directly on the sensor itself. I thankfully had the foresight many years ago during a tire swap on my Viper to copy down all the numbers while the tires were off the rims.

There really isn't too much to all of this. As long as they are on the correct operating frequency and bark the right codes when asked, the TPMS module doesn't care which brand of sensor you run in your wheels.

Enthusiast
    2003 is unique from my understanding. Many tools only go back to 2004 for the Viper. If anyone has experience with a 2003 TPMS, I would love to hear about it.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead President View Post
    2003 is unique from my understanding. Many tools only go back to 2004 for the Viper. If anyone has experience with a 2003 TPMS, I would love to hear about it.
    Do you still have the old sensors, or at least the codes from them?

The only reason I ask is that you may be better off cloning the old sensors rather than trying to figure out how to reprogram your TPMS module.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead President View Post
    Yes, and can be reset with DRBIII without issue.

Enthusiast
    I do not have the old TPMS sensors. DTC tossed them out. If I only had a clue, I would have cloned them. To be fair I never thought this was rocket science, but I guess it is. I am contacting Dan Cragin in LA and see where we go from here.

It does raise the need for local clubs to acquire legacy scan tools for their members. Rental fees would pay for it quickly.

Thanks all for your input and feedback.