Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Angry Rear window defogger Rear Glass Exploded

Well fellow Viper owners it finally happened to me. I accidentally touched my rear window defogger button driving down the road over the weekend. I was using my running lights which dimmed out my center info panel and I just happened to touch the rear defogger button. I looked in the rearview mirror and the car was filled with smoke. So I pulled over and got out and raised the rear hatch to look at the situation. It wasn't 30 seconds till the rear glass exploded into a million pieces. I wish I had known about removing the fuse for the rear defogger so that this would have not had happened to me. Why in the hell wasn't there a recall to prevent this from happening??? What am I to do now? My car is a 2013 GTS. I believe that the manufacture should repair my damaged glass since this was a known problem no matter if it's still under warranty or not. I just called and spoke with my dealership and they have no recall or anything on it. I guess I'm supposed to just replace my glass and never ever use the rear window defogger on the car. What in the hell is up with that??? Sure would like to know what others in this situation did to resolve this problem other than just pull the fuse for it. Did you take it to the dealer to be repaired or have a glass company like Safelite or Glass of America do the repair? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I wish you luck! This is one area of the Gen V that drives me nuts. Not because it happens, but because owners often have to fight with FCA to get it taken care of! I hope the hatch is OK and not burned.

Enthusiast
    Oh man that sucks. If it were me, I'd be fighting like hell to have this covered as some sort of latent defect. I'm pretty sure there is at least a TSB out there that addresses it, so they know it was/is a problem. It was primarily limited to the earlier Gen 5s, but it cropped up in some of the later years as well.

Enthusiast
    Is this only a Gen5 problem?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Is this only a Gen5 problem?
    Yes.

Enthusiast
    This was a TSB from 2014. However, while it was for 2013 models, later models have the issue. I had my service center check tolerance and it needed to have the tape installed but I still removed the fuse. Another '16 had the glass blow out due to the issue.

RRT14056.pdf

Enthusiast
    Sorry to hear about this. Just add this to the long list of issues. where is the fuse? Is it fuse# 20?
    Last edited by Gen5snake; 06-15-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
    This was a TSB from 2014. However, while it was for 2013 models, later models have the issue. I had my service center check tolerance and it needed to have the tape installed but I still removed the fuse. Another '16 had the glass blow out due to the issue.

RRT14056.pdf
    There is another TSB for later years with a wing (ACR and TA2).

Enthusiast
    I have filed a claim with FCA Corporate at this time. The CSR said that I should hear back from them about my issue in a few days. I'm hoping for the best. Hard to believe that this has not already been elevated by others who have had this to happen to them. We cannot sit by and let this just go unchecked. I'm not just going to replace my glass and not be able to use the rear defroster as it was designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperSRT View Post
    There is another TSB for later years with a wing (ACR and TA2).

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    I wish you luck! This is one area of the Gen V that drives me nuts. Not because it happens, but because owners often have to fight with FCA to get it taken care of! I hope the hatch is OK and not burned.

Hatch is good to go since I caught it early.

First thing I did when finding out about this was head to the dealer and turn on the defroster and we waited to see if it blew up. It didn't and I was gtg but a few guys I know have had the issue while driving. I believe FCA replaced them all.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubeman View Post
    First thing I did when finding out about this was head to the dealer and turn on the defroster and we waited to see if it blew up. It didn't and I was gtg but a few guys I know have had the issue while driving. I believe FCA replaced them all.
    Glad to hear that on both accounts. Just hope they will cover mine now.

Don't hold your breath. As I mentioned in the other thread, this is a very common issue on F-150's and Ford doesn't foot the bill. I do hope FCA makes it right for you as I agree it is a BS problem to have to deal with... Just don't get your hopes up.

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    My bet is you have a very-early 2013. LOW Vin #

It was a well-documented issue and a TSB was issued for early 2013 specifc vin range.

It is an obvious issue too, EZ to see, where the CF hatch surround extends OVER the defroster wires along the forward edge. The gap barely accommodates a business card thickness, and a credit card is usually too thick. If/When the defroster is ON, and the hatch merely touches the glass, KaBOOM.

Later glass has a smaller 'footprint' of the defroster wires and is NOT be an issue. Wires Cant possibly touch the CF.

Enthusiast
    Attached is a link to the TSB for 2015-2017 and supercedes the earlier TSB.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...68432-9999.pdf

what a bs deal

Enthusiast
    It's interesting that it might be the least used feature on these cars, yet it still has a high failure rate.

Enthusiast
    Interestingly, I recall asking a dealership if they tested this function on the early cars that had taken in on trade. The answer was that they carefully inspected the back glass as per the first TSB...but, as to testing the switch, the answer was a firm NO.

Enthusiast
    so back to removing the fuse....is it fuse# 20?

I would like to know too, fuse #20? (2014 gts)

Enthusiast
    TRH62, can you please confirm [or negate] that your VIN # is Low-Low? There is no reason NOT to share the last 4 digits of your vin, please, but at least what block of numbers? ie 0060s ? 0090s? 0120s ? Thanks

The original TSB was indicative of a low-series of Early Vins. And the 'anti-squeek-tape' solution of the later TSB will certainly work. But I truly believe that "G5 Masses Dont Have To be Concerned" unless very early 2013. The newer glass truly has a smaller footprint of defroster 'wires' and cannot hit the hatch......
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 06-16-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Interestingly, I recall asking a dealership if they tested this function on the early cars that had taken in on trade. The answer was that they carefully inspected the back glass as per the first TSB...but, as to testing the switch, the answer was a firm NO.
    PEMBERTON QUESTION?:

I suspect that Dealers still got paid good "PDI" money (Pre-Delivery-Inspection) to have some minimum-wager check-off a list of 100+ items or so. This includes checking the defroster function..... they probably just look for the indicator glow. Not Enuf Time.

The explosion is not instant..... the duration is under 1 minute from ON to Kabloooie. The contact point heats up HOT.

how much is the rear glass?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    TRH62, can you please confirm [or negate] that your VIN # is Low-Low? There is no reason NOT to share the last 4 digits of your vin, please, but at least what block of numbers? ie 0060s ? 0090s? 0120s ? Thanks

The original TSB was indicative of a low-series of Vins. And the 'anti-squeek-tape' solution of the later TSB will certainly work. But I truly believe that "G5 Masses Dont Have To be Concerned" unless very early 2013. The newer glass truly has a smaller footprint of defroster 'wires' and cannot hit the hatch......
    Except those with a wing. The later TSB was directed toward winged cars with the reinforced hatch.

Enthusiast
    Last 4 of my VIN is 0050.
    2013 SRT Viper.
    Here’s recalls that have been done.
    Am I affected by this?
    2A4F7DC0-EFCA-47D7-A894-6050012E1B9C.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast