Enthusiast

Bigger rubber for Comp Coupe

With some chassis mods from Jeff Stout/CPM, 325/705-18 Pirelli's out back. LOVE the bigger sidewall on track.
    Pirelli1.jpgPirelli3.jpg
    Pirelli2.jpg

Enthusiast
    Looks really good!

Enthusiast
    Where did you get your front and rear window fasteners?

Do you think the taller tires will rub the wheel liner? I have that issue on bumpy tracks with the 31/71/18 Michelins. I'm Thinking of switching to shorter Rear tires.

Curious at what ride height you guys are running.

Man, that CC is beautiful.

Enthusiast
    Your Comp Coupe looks so clean and nice!!!

As for tires I usually run the 345 A7 and on occasion the Michelin 33/68 18 which are very similar in size to the 345/35 Hoosiers

Hi Mike,
    I got a few sets of good used 33/68/18. I'm liking them so far. Ran them at Big Willow last time out in March and got a personal best of 127.5. Had to do a little more shifting with the shorter tire. Going to run them at Laguna in a few weeks. Hope to see you there!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    Looks really good!
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snopro440 View Post
    Where did you get your front and rear window fasteners?
    Complete Performance Motorsports makes them.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhlr8n View Post
    Do you think the taller tires will rub the wheel liner? I have that issue on bumpy tracks with the 31/71/18 Michelins. I'm Thinking of switching to shorter Rear tires.

Curious at what ride height you guys are running.
    No rubbing. The car has custom liners now. CPM did some really cool stuff to get the taller tire to work properly. If you're at Viper Rendezvous, you can see what I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Man, that CC is beautiful.
    Thanks! She was repainted this winter.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    Your Comp Coupe looks so clean and nice!!!

As for tires I usually run the 345 A7 and on occasion the Michelin 33/68 18 which are very similar in size to the 345/35 Hoosiers
    Thanks. Lots of work has gone into her.

Enthusiast
    Should be fun to see the Michelin/Pirelli Tires wars at the Rendezvous, though would not surprise me to see a certain individual show up with Hoosier Slicks ( not DOT R7s or A7s ) and be the surprise winner.

Nice to see that tires wars are back in racing and auto crossing , as it gives Viper owners a lot better shot that someone will continue to make more tires to fit our beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    No rubbing. The car has custom liners now. CPM did some really cool stuff to get the taller tire to work properly. If you're at Viper Rendezvous, you can see what I mean.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! She was repainted this winter.
    I'd love to go. Last week we opened back up at one of our locations and next week we are opening our other school. If it were just the weekend I could pull it off. Can't squeeze in the 1600 mile tow each way, that adds 4-5 days, just can't do it right know unfortunately.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Should be fun to see the Michelin/Pirelli Tires wars at the Rendezvous, though would not surprise me to see a certain individual show up with Hoosier Slicks ( not DOT R7s or A7s ) and be the surprise winner.

Nice to see that tires wars are back in racing and auto crossing , as it gives Viper owners a lot better shot that someone will continue to make more tires to fit our beasts.
    Bob we need to get these left coast guys over to PittRace or Mid Ohio for another rematch. Spread the love.

Enthusiast
    I'd love to go. Last week we opened back up at one of our locations and next week we are opening our other school. If it were just the weekend I could pull it off. Can't squeeze in the 1600 mile tow each way, that adds 4-5 days, just can't do it right know unfortunately.
    Yeah I agree. It's not an easy one. I was supposed to be at NASA NJMP but the COVID virus has hit New Jersey hard. It was a last minute decision to try and make Hastings.

Enthusiast
    Should be some fast guys there , with Ted Hughes, Keith Anderson, and the Orange Beast above, to name a few!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    Bob we need to get these left coast guys over to PittRace or Mid Ohio for another rematch. Spread the love.
    Hey-Hey now, no Left Coast guy here. West Coast guy = yes, Left Coast guy = Big No. We still have a few small pockets of conservatism in Cali, and it seems to be finally growing.

Enthusiast
    Could be a good time to see what the new hot ticket is as a little birdie told me there have been some tire changes with both Pirelli and Michelin ( likely compounding which is honestly a constant). Will look forward to see if there is a new hot ticket ,though we already know the Hoosier A7 and R7 are a must have for the majority of the beasts running in a few weeks in Hastings, America.

PS- Small note, bring your own masks as the track will not be able to provide.

Enthusiast
    Hey-Hey now, no Left Coast guy here. West Coast guy = yes, Left Coast guy = Big No. We still have a few small pockets of conservatism in Cali, and it seems to be finally growing.
    Ooops LOL. I didn't even realize I wrote it that way!

Enthusiast
    Could be a good time to see what the new hot ticket is as a little birdie told me there have been some tire changes with both Pirelli and Michelin ( likely compounding which is honestly a constant). Will look forward to see if there is a new hot ticket ,though we already know the Hoosier A7 and R7 are a must have for the majority of the beasts running in a few weeks in Hastings, America.

PS- Small note, bring your own masks as the track will not be able to provide.
    I stink at MPH. It's much tighter and flatter than I'm used to! Definitely need some practice there and won't be doing the tires justice. I am interested to see how long the Pirelli's last though. My Hoosiers S100's got destroyed last year.

Enthusiast
    Feel free to call me , as I have probably 3-5K worth of miles there in various cars -- Spec Miata, Vipers, Boss S Mustang, cars when Instructing, etc.

Bill Pemberton
    402-677-5864

Enthusiast

Most guys don't share their secrets but I've always been willing to. Not many people have tested tires more than me on the Viper. There is NO tire faster than the Hoosier A7. Period end of story. The only issue with them is you must get your fastest lap on the 2nd or 3rd lap. After that it drops off. If all you care about is getting a fast time and getting off track you run A7's. 7 of my 9 of my Nasa track records were done on A7's. And I'd say 95% of all Nasa track records nationally are done on A7's. If you plan on doing full sessions the Michelin's stay fast the entire session. The hard or medium michelin compound isn't faster than the other, it's just the medium compounds warm up faster and you are more likely to get your fastest time earlier in the session than you will with the hards. The Michelin's are faster than the Pirelli's ONLY the first heat cycle. After first couple heat cycles the Pirelli becomes the faster tire. It's also worth noting the Pirelli's are 20 lbs lighter than the Michelins and almost 30 lbs lighter than Hoosiers.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    Most guys don't share their secrets but I've always been willing to. Not many people have tested tires more than me on the Viper. There is NO tire faster than the Hoosier A7. Period end of story. The only issue with them is you must get your fastest lap on the 2nd or 3rd lap. After that it drops off. If all you care about is getting a fast time and getting off track you run A7's. 7 of my 9 of my Nasa track records were done on A7's. And I'd say 95% of all Nasa track records nationally are done on A7's. If you plan on doing full sessions the Michelin's stay fast the entire session. The hard or medium michelin compound isn't faster than the other, it's just the medium compounds warm up faster and you are more likely to get your fastest time earlier in the session than you will with the hards. The Michelin's are faster than the Pirelli's ONLY the first heat cycle. After first couple heat cycles the Pirelli becomes the faster tire. It's also worth noting the Pirelli's are 20 lbs lighter than the Michelins and almost 30 lbs lighter than Hoosiers.
    GREAT information!

Interesting. I've always been faster on Hoosier S100's than R7/A7 DOT tires. I just can't justify the additional expense for slicks anymore.

Enthusiast
    Great info, thanks for sharing. Many of the guys over here use the Pirelli's for the long haul of a race, compared to time trials.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Interesting. I've always been faster on Hoosier S100's than R7/A7 DOT tires. I just can't justify the additional expense for slicks anymore.
    I like the S100's as well, but do like these Pirelli's better. Might be the size change as well.