VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)

In An Effort To Support One Another

As our ownership group grows smaller by the day, can we agree that supporting each other as owners makes ownership more enjoyable?

Over my several years of being an owner, I have witnessed comments like:

1. You destroyed the value by making the mod.
    2. What a waste you didn't drive it.
    3. That is like leaving your girlfriend for the next guy.

And probably a lot more.

Here is the thing. It was that owners money. They enjoyed their money from their hard work and sacrifice just how they wanted. For people that love to make some kind of point, I ask why? To what end? That does not make people want to share, come together, and be around others who are negative.

I think that if others looked at our lives, anyone could interject their desires, wants, and preferences to find fault. As my grandmother said, "Different strokes for different folks."

Our increasingly smaller group needs to support the collector with 9 miles on coveted GT2 to Cars & Coffee guys/gals to car show guys/gals to roadtrip guys/gals to track rats to 2,000 horsepower 2017 1/4, 1/2, 1 mile Vipers. If we cannot appreciate others pride and joy, how will they appreciate our pride and joy? And for what it is worth, realize the collector has 10, 40, 90, 150 cars and cannot drive them. But admiring a Viper as art is why they bought it. That is not you, but understand it is them. Take a good hard look at your Viper - real hard - it is art. Decades from now, people will admire them just as they do the 50s and 60s Ferraris, Maseratis, Cobras, Corvettes, American Muscle, etc.

We all love Vipers. So lets be supportive, not destructive......

BTW - I am positive I am an offender and am writing this to myself more than anyone else so I can remind myself in the future not to be that guy.
    Brian
    98 Ronzello PVP Pilot GT2
    99 ACR

Capital Vipers Facebook Group

Capital Vipers Founding Regional President 2018 - 2021
    Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2021/2020/2019, Hilton Head Concours 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    Coordinator - Hagerty Partnership
    Coordinator - Spirit of Viper
    GT2 Owners Group

Well said. Sometimes there's no dichotomy either and you can have your cake and eat it too. Sorta like a one to rock and one to stock kind of mentality. I raced my GTS on a race track multiple times. However my Special Edition car is, well, more special. It's numbered, an anniversary car and literally has my name on the dash, cover and window sticker. So I treat it as such and drive it once per month.

Definitely agree that the ownership shaming is unfortunate. I've definitely noticed guys just stop coming on the forums at all over it. The financial motivations behind badmouthing the last generation imo was to diminish value for the secondary market. And ownership shaming likewise is usually just a jealous bust out too. Sometimes the loudest boo's come from the cheapest seats.

So enjoy your property as you wish and long live Horsepower!!

Enthusiast
    Viperenvy,

I agree with you. Unfortunately, over the last 10+ years we have seen lots of things develop on the two websites. From the "new type" of owners who buy the car and are then gone in 6 months to the cancellation of the Viper, the community has changed. Most of the people here, now, are longer term owners, so your comments are well put. In the past, your comments would have been met with a scoff, etc. Lastly, I still see many barriers on the website. Not pointing people out, but there are several places (forums) where the "Look at me I am great" attitude is supreme. People who need to have their ego stroked, so the constantly post pictures of their possessions. Once the community gets smaller here, you will see them go somewhere else because they will seek their ego stroking from a greater audience.

And not to take over the thread, but I think it is appropriate here.......it is another reason why people don't join up as a member. Who wants to PAY MONEY to people who actively trash your car? Really? (And don't get me started on the Enthusiast vs. Member crap). Trying to lay a guilt trip on contributing money is not going to work.

Overall, a great post and trying to get back to the way things were in the past.

Plaw

Well said,viperenvy ,let each car guy enjoy there car they way it makes them happy ,nobody has the right to judge.so don’t do it.

Enthusiast
    Well I would love to know your thoughts on the allegations in the Gen V forum over the non stock ACR'S that did the ring run.

If members can be thrown out of a club or banned, its looking like we have a prime case!

The trouble with forums is how folks interpret things, To be fair when you have an international forum and club, what can be written down on a forum might make some laugh but others be offended, its even like telling a joke, some get it some don't.

There are big differences between British language and humor to American humor, many words have a different meaning!

I try to be mindful of this when typing.

But to a certain extent I do understand where you are trying to go with your post. But have to say, I get sick of the 1 or two time posters who keep asking what Value their cars are worth!
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 05-13-2020 at 03:37 AM.

Enthusiast
    I definitely understand how posts can come across wrong; specifically in regards to different languages/cultures. However (and to the OP's point), what I have never understood are the blatant smart ass and condescending remarks that would likely never be voiced if face to face. I don't know if people get a rise out of acting that way, or if it's just their nature. Either way, it's unfortunate that it exists; especially in a setting like this, where we come to meet and enjoy our hobby.

Enthusiast
    Great thread Viper Envy and now more than ever we need to share the joy and passion we have for our Vipers. The camaraderie here and at many VOA functions is not just an unbelievable source of help and tech knowledge , but a good place to socialize while so many of us are stuck at home. Let's chose our words carefully, let's remember we all have a similar passion, and if you are not a member , please join, as this Forum and Club will likely be your saving grace in years to come if you have issues, problems or need advice.

There are many of us that are getting up in years and as some of us go to the big V10 in the sky, the encyclopedic data given here may be your savior in the future. Joining can help ensure things for you and future Viper buyers and I know that I can honestly state that the majority of my friends are members of this site. The old saying that the car brings folks together , but the friends you meet keep things together is so true.

A little kindness goes a long way and as Outnumbered states , it is often so odd that folks say things hidden behind a keyboard they would never say to a person's face. Time for Grandma rule, and if you couldn't say it to your Grandmother, maybe you should not say it to someone on a Forum, ha. Yep, we would all have to clean up our language even when joking around , wouldn't we?

Enthusiast
    I've shared my thoughts on this in another thread but I appreciate the intent and I hope it has some impact. For the most part car guys are great F2F but for whatever reason some are not so great on forums. Happens on every car forum and probably won't change unfortunately. I don't know what the solution is but very few car forums have cracked the code.

My observation is that as the Viper gets older there is a natural migration to "collectors" vs. those that drive/mod/race their cars. It's not so important why a particular car was built but moreso why guys buy them today. It would be great to see one or more of the "clubs" spend a bit more effort on preserving the legacy of the car and helping today's owners ensure the car is appreciated by tomorrow's owners. The Viper is probably the most interesting and exciting "mass produced" American car ever manufactured. I never understood why any owner would intentionally trash a fellow owner or Viper for not enjoying their car in the "appropriate" manner.

Thanks for the post Viperenvy - much appreciated.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2017
    Capital Vipers (DC/DE/MD/VA)
    COI-

Thank you for the feedback.

"It would be great to see one or more of the "clubs" spend a bit more effort on preserving the legacy of the car and helping today's owners ensure the car is appreciated by tomorrow's owners. The Viper is probably the most interesting and exciting "mass produced" American car ever manufactured."

Something is in the works. I hope you will enjoy when announced.
    Brian
    98 Ronzello PVP Pilot GT2
    99 ACR

Capital Vipers Facebook Group

Capital Vipers Founding Regional President 2018 - 2021
    Motor City Viper Owners - Associate Member
    Coordinator - Amelia Island Cars & Coffee 2021/2020/2019, Hilton Head Concours 2019, Greenbrier Concours 2018
    Coordinator - Hagerty Partnership
    Coordinator - Spirit of Viper
    GT2 Owners Group

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida

Hey we are preserving the legacy in South Florida by getting out and using them. Other regions join in do a similar drive and we can post the times up from the Blue Angels. I have gotten a great response from the owners who just want to have a fun, no drama, drive. See Ya'll in Miami for NVE4.5!!!!!

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    There are big differences between British language and humor to American humor, many words have a different meaning!!
    Now I'm really PISSED ......... are you?

You cant sit on your Fanny .... I can....

Viperenvy

Your points are will taken. But would it not be a good idea to not let our skin be too thin as it were. Now that we are living in a world that so many seem to get offended so easily. In many cases for sole purpose of just to become a victim.

I'm not making excuses for anybody's mean spirited behavior or posts on this forum. I think we all understand that the anonymity of a keyboard often brings out a level of bravado that would most likely not be seen if one was face to face. On the other hand lets not not have a little fun on this site. After all most of what is written on here is only someone's opinion and we all know that opinions are just like ........everybody has one.

Voicing one's opinion shouldn't be taken as bad thing just because it doesn't aline with your own.

Not disagreeing with anything you wrote. I just thought it important to look at both sides.

Enthusiast
    24BCB9EB-2E7E-4DF0-B685-F64E9BBD8825.jpgAgreed.

As an associate of mine says....

Breath in the good shit, exhale the bad shit.

Be thankful that we have such a great hobby/pastime
    Last edited by serpent1of38; 05-15-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Enthusiast
    Garage goals!! NICE! ^^^

Agree 100% with this thread! Used to be really big into the DSM community and forums. Just seemed like it all get really stupid on the forums.
    Last edited by JForbing; 05-15-2020 at 08:03 AM.