Enthusiast

Viper Vs. Viper (Luke Airforce Base Air show)

So the other club has been promoting this drag race that is happening this weekend at the Airshow/Open house at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale. I draw no distinction between club membership and would be interested in going. I know the AZ club has the Bass days event on Saturday, but supposedly the Viper vs Viper (F16 jet) race will be held both days of the Air show. If anyone would like to join me for the second day of the airshow let me know as a non-club event, we can meet up in advance. The show starts at 11 and ends at 4.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.luke.af.mil/library/2014o...andairshow.asp

Todd

Enthusiast
    ah, so that may be why RSI is posting pictures of their car at Luke AFB. cool!

What time is the race? I may just have to head over there in the GTS.

Enthusiast
    I have no idea. I've been looking for when exactly the race is, but there is no specific schedule, just a list of the events. I don't even know 100% that they're doing the race both days. I'm just figuring even if they don't do the race, the airshow would be a good afternoon anyways.

Enthusiast
    Anyone with photos or video of Viper vs Viper ? I did not make it out there.

I did see the following screenshot in a Youtube posting. (Not my car. I sold it and it went out of state.)

Viper_at_Luke.jpg

This event was free to everybody. Most Viper guys gathered in the Thunderbird's VIP tent and the Event Participants tent. Having a seat in the shade and some bottled water was most appreciated as the air temp was about 82 degrees.

Two runs were made each day. The first featured a Gen V provided by SRT and driven by VCA Vice President John Canal (an experienced drag racer). The second was a VCA club member that also flys a Jet at the base.

On Sunday the factory Gen V ran again, and the 1,250 hp Twin Turbo RSI car was driven by it's owner, with Will from RSI there to offer technical support and back up.

The Factory supplied SRT Gen V was brought over from the SRT Experience fleet, and spanked the F-16 on both days, winning by around 100 feet each time, and trapping around 160 MPH. The new gearing was almost perfect for the 3,000 runway course. Car certainly had some SRT magic that day.

The crowd went wild when the Vipers began to do smokey donuts in front of the VIP reviewing stands.

Not sure if this event will be able to be repeated next year, as the F-16 "Viper" fighter jets will be retired soon, and replaced with Luke's new F-35 Strike Fighter.

…oh yeah…the rest of the airshow was pretty cool too.