Enthusiast

Part identity help please

Gave the girls some loving today and while up on the lift I noticed that I broke a small plastic piece off the front left and cannot find the part number anywhere. Anyone know a pn or what this is called so I can locate a replacement?
    There is one rectangle forward of each wheel that protrudes down under the car about 2

- - - Updated - - -

Second pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    No help on the part number, but I've broken both myself....

I broke one completely off on a low road last summer. Still have the other. Would like to get replacement myself, as it hits a low road before the oil pan!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost me beer View Post
    Gave the girls some loving today and while up on the lift I noticed that I broke a small plastic piece off the front left and cannot find the part number anywhere. Anyone know a pn or what this is called so I can locate a replacement?
    There is one rectangle forward of each wheel that protrudes down under the car about 2

- - - Updated - - -

Second pic...
    That part is not a make or break piece. It does not come on TA or ACR models. You can make one yourself very easily. You can also contact JonB, I sure he can steer you in the right direction..

Enthusiast
    LMB, Try part#68036147AA which may have been replaced by part# 68047956AB its called extension-splash shield. As you know they are small rectangular pieces of plastic but cost about $20 each. I actually was able to epoxy one of mine that was cracked and so far its good.

Enthusiast
    I will hunt those numbers down. Thanks again all.
    Troy

Enthusiast
    Just ordered 2! Yep, it was the second part number that worked. Thanks for the help. I actually remember the day it broke. I just installed the rear tow hooks and was entering a biz driveway slowly and felt/heard the car “bottom out.” I thought I hit the hooks. Looked the car over and couldn't see any sign of rubbing. Makes sense now that it snapped that flap. They are fairly stout and would make a good noise!
    Troy

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost me beer View Post
    Just ordered 2! Yep, it was the second part number that worked.
    When I searched for the part number I found they were for a Gen IV Viper. Will the parts also fit on a Gen V?

Enthusiast
    I actually just bought some generic plastic mud flaps and cut out the part. The look and act the same and it seems like they are a little more flexible when they scrap.

Enthusiast
    I recall hearing they were designed to be removed.

Idk. Regardless, the part number is printed on them. Mine are broken and I have zero plans to replace them. I suggest a similar train of thought. It's cheaper. You'll just break them again.

Enthusiast
    That is probably the plastic piece that reduces the air resistance of the tire. Lowes has 12" x 12" lexan sheets. I cut four at a time with a band saw.

Enthusiast
    Just in case anyone is searching for these...
    Part number in the pic below worked. Each “part number” has 3 different pieces included: 2 guards, and a long skinny plastic guard, which I have no idea where it goes! I ordered 2 thinking I would have a spare since I was paying for shipping anyway...turns out I replaced my broken one and have 3 spares, and 2 spare other unknown pieces.
    Troy
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=Jack B;409524]That is probably the plastic piece that reduces the air resistance of the tire.

This is what I read somewhere as well. Read that they did a ton of wind tunnel testing on these cars and this part really has a function.

Same part on GEN 5 and 4.

This part didn't come on TA or ACR's

Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=TheMadMachinist;412523]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    That is probably the plastic piece that reduces the air resistance of the tire.

This is what I read somewhere as well. Read that they did a ton of wind tunnel testing on these cars and this part really has a function.

Those little tabs were designed to disrupt airflow to give better cooling to the brakes according to SRT engineering. I broke a couple of them. Made my own out of Lexan and UHMWP plastic, broke those too. Took them off and never looked back.

Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=TheMadMachinist;412523]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    That is probably the plastic piece that reduces the air resistance of the tire.

False. My TA had them. Here's what they look like now.

Broken Winglets.png

Bruce H.
    [QUOTE=Bryan Savage;412554]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post

False. My TA had them. Here's what they look like now.
    The TA wasn't supposed to have them but they were installed in error on TA's originally. The TA's advanced aero splitter serves the intended purpose on the TA and other models with the advanced aero.

What Bruce said ^^^^^

I thought I heard that they just put on whatever parts that were laying around when they built those TA models.

You know the left over parts that really didn't fit right on the real cars that were built first like the GTS and SRT models.lol

Bruce H.
    ^^^^^This is what I heard too. They found some old orange paint used decades earlier and figured they had just enough to paint 93, and enough cobbled together engines for another 33 using surplus white paint. And it was right after they built those odd-balls that the incoming Tim K's plans to scrap SRT Motorsports that they realized they had 33 built race engines that they were going to be stuck with so Ralph figured they'd quietly sneak them into another run and painted all 33 black and hope nobody would notice.

And that's how SRT and SRT Motorsports used this model to clean out their parts bins. And that's the true story of the TA!

Bruce not long after they found a container with more oddball parts and a bunch of old aero coupe wings without end plates. They made a different type of end plate stuck them on some base models and charged an additional $18000 and the TA-2 was born. I don't know if's true but it sounds good.

Enthusiast
    Chrysler had done similar in the late 60's ,early 70's in using over stock and carrying it forward on a newer model year , causing some purist much heated debate.........lol !

The wheel spats are also used on Gen 3's .

Other manufacturer's have also incorporated them to help with Aero.

Bruce H.
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Ed View Post
    Bruce not long after they found a container with more oddball parts and a bunch of old aero coupe wings without end plates. They made a different type of end plate stuck them on some base models and charged an additional $18000 and the TA-2 was born. I don't know if's true but it sounds good.
    I thought that wing looked familiar but still puzzled about the Grabber Blue Mustang paint...strange!

Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    Chrysler had done similar in the late 60's ,early 70's in using over stock and carrying it forward on a newer model year , causing some purist much heated debate.........lol !

The wheel spats are also used on Gen 3's .

Other manufacturer's have also incorporated them to help with Aero.
    Good job we don't have any purist on this forum or they'd be debating all the time!

It's so refreshing to see a little humor on these pages.

You what they say.... The truth is sometime stranger than fiction.

Enthusiast
    I'm actually starting to enjoy this forum a little more. lol!!