Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tom's 40mm brakes

Are these still available? If so, where can they be purchased? I've been searching for awhile and heard good things about these, but can't find where to buy them. Info, thoughts, and suggestions please
    Last edited by GhostStalker27; 03-11-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    YES. PERFECT TIMING!!

We are working with Tom on 'ONE LAST HURRAH' of these 1992-2000 Viper kits, and have about 5 orders so far for these 40mm upgrade rear brakes.

We DO have cores available in advance, so you don't have to send your cores ahead of time.

I will know more next week!

Email me if interessssted....pricing depends a bit on number volume... JonB@PartsRack.com

Saweeet, email sent

I have them. My 93 stops better

Enthusiast
    First I am hearing of this package, interested as my brakes are wore out. What is this package comprised of?

Quote Originally Posted by Coloviper View Post
    First I am hearing of this package, interested as my brakes are wore out. What is this package comprised of?
    REAR BRAKE CALIPERS ARE MODIFIED TO 40MM FROM 36MM. You choose your desired pad(ECB Reds or Brakeman 3's are a good choice).

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloviper View Post
    The 40mm kit balance's out the overall braking of the car With stock brakes its very easy to lock up the fronts and flat spot the tires (even at slow speeds) The idea is that the piston in the rear caliper is sleeved and the brake caliper is milled out to fit the bigger piston, new size rubber seals are then used. This reduces the overall stopping distance of the car and reduces front wheel lock up I have this kit fitted on my car and love it, You can still lock up the brakes if you hit them hard but the car is much more controlled.
    This is how the car should have left the factory in the first place.

Info Here

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Brembo_Caliper

http://wiki.seloc.org/a/How_to_Rebuild_a_Brembo_Caliper

Can anyone shed light on how these compare to other brake upgrades as far as value or "bang for your buck". Do you get more for your money with these or the gen3 brake upgrade, etc?...I want to be clear I'm not simply looking for what's the best, just where my money can go the furthest - I'm a man of value

Quote Originally Posted by GhostStalker27 View Post
    Can anyone shed light on how these compare to other brake upgrades as far as value or "bang for your buck". Do you get more for your money with these or the gen3 brake upgrade, etc?..
    Since the Tom's approach utilizes the stock setup (including the e-brake) this would be the least expensive approach. It would be worthwhile though to investigate getting the bracket package from IPSCO that allows you to mount the front calipers at the rear. But you lose the ebrake function unless you also get the beautifully machined separate e-brake calipers (also from IPSCO). Of course more $$$, but much improved binders at the rear. And when you put the Gen 3 calipers out front, you'll have a great 4-corner package.

Enthusiast
    If you do a search on the VCA site, you'll find Tom's very detailed explanation of the benefit of this approach and very favorable comparisons to a more expensive Stop Tech set up.

As mentioned, F/R balance is improved significantly, meaning the rears do more of the stopping work still without locking before the fronts.

As I remember, the only limitation is that there is less mass to disperse the heat build up versus "big brakes," so on the track, while braking would be comparable, heat would become a factor a bit sooner because of the smaller OEM size caliper.

I have them and they are great. Best bang for the buck brake upgrade by far.

Any update on this? Has the "last hurrah" for these already passed?

I just saw this when cottonmouth woke this thread back up. I'd definitely be interested in this option.

Enthusiast
    Check with Jon B @ Parts Rack, he is working with Tom on this, per email with Tom, he was projecting first batch shipping mid-May. Jon B would know for sure.

Enthusiast
    Jon, give me a call. Ready.

Was a price ever established? I emailed Jon about it and was told that it would depend on the number of people who went in on the deal. I'm still interested in a set.....

Enthusiast
    mine arrived today,,,, my next winter time project.... thanks Tom.... envelope in the mail tomorrow

Enthusiast
    Just had Chuck Tator install tom's rear calipers and p/s pulley with bracket on my gts. Call chuck for the rear calipers.

Resurrecting this thread to see if anybody has a pair of Tom's 40mm brakes! Hit me up...

Call Chuck Tator at 914-763-3136. He has a set.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Just left him a message thanks!

Enthusiast
    gone.....
    Last edited by 95Viper; 04-18-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 95Viper View Post
    .... in about 2 weeks I will be selling..... original front calipers, hawk pads front & rear, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors front & rear along with a set of Tom's calipers,,,, toms calipers have approx. 500miles on them, rear pads come with tom's caliper cover as well.... would like to sell it as a set... all is in Xcellent condition and works perfectly...... if anyone is interested contact me and lets see if we can make a deal... thx
    I'm mainly looking for Tom's calipers but might be interested in the rotors too...I'll pm you

Enthusiast
    The fact that these can no longer be obtained makes me sad...

Enthusiast
    Jon B doesn't have anymore?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntman View Post
    Jon B doesn't have anymore?
    I've looked around partsrack and found nothing of the sort, although I have not called or inquired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast