Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada

Winter events/meetings

With winter approaching us up here in snowronto, it leaves us no choice but to put our snakes in hibernation. With the kids in school and not much travel and weekend get aways to the cottage or what not, I think its a great time for the next 5 months to find some events/get togethers/meetings etc with the brotherhood and keep the snake awake until spring.

I'm sure out of 100+ members that we could all think up some ideas. One each and we should be good till May no? Lets all put our heads together and put some time aside every now and then this winter to get together and talk Vipers and cars. With everything that has been going on of as late, it would be nice to keep up with the flow with get togethers. Especially some of the directors which can keep us entertained/caught up with all the hoopla of Viper nation and the new club. Emails are great for mass information but, getting together over drinks is even better.

just my opinion.
    the input would be great. Even if its just to tell me to S#$t the H@#L up.

Lets be a year round Club. I vote for no more year ends.

On that note...........I'm heading out for a spin.
    Last edited by slitherv10; 10-30-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Enthusiast
    My Viper has been asleep for 3 weeks now. You may want to keep yours indoors tomorrow as we are supposed to get 30mm of rain with 60-70km/h winds

Enthusiast
    My Vote goes to Tommy for Winter events !
    Quote Originally Posted by slitherv10 View Post
    With winter approaching us up here in snowronto, it leaves us no choice but to put our snakes in hibernation. With the kids in school and not much travel and weekend get aways to the cottage or what not, I think its a great time for the next 5 months to find some events/get togethers/meetings etc with the brotherhood and keep the snake awake until spring.

I'm sure out of 100+ members that we could all think up some ideas. One each and we should be good till May no? Lets all put our heads together and put some time aside every now and then this winter to get together and talk Vipers and cars. With everything that has been going on of as late, it would be nice to keep up with the flow with get togethers. Especially some of the directors which can keep us entertained/caught up with all the hoopla of Viper nation and the new club. Emails are great for mass information but, getting together over drinks is even better.

just my opinion.
    the input would be great. Even if its just to tell me to S#$t the H@#L up.

Lets be a year round Club. I vote for no more year ends.

On that note...........I'm heading out for a spin.

Enthusiast
    Jay's Quote " My Vote goes to Tommy for Winter events ! "

Funny. I'm just a single member trying to reach out to the rest and add some life for the next 5 months among us. I don't think I am so out of line...am I?

Enthusiast

Funny. I'm just a single member trying to reach out to the rest and add some life for the next 5 months among us. I don't think I am so out of line...am I?
    I am game too. We tried having dinner events during the winter and the attendence was worst then the summer events. I think we need to do something fun that is not off the chart expensive.........

winter beater donuts in the parking lot anyone?

Enthusiast

No you are not!! Put something together and let us know. I'm sure we can get some members out.

Enthusiast
    I'm sure I could think of something. Hopefully everyone else can too.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlashFyre View Post
    My Viper has been asleep for 3 weeks now. You may want to keep yours indoors tomorrow as we are supposed to get 30mm of rain with 60-70km/h winds
    Just put on the rain slicks and let her have it.....ya mun

Enthusiast
    Done Working on a Plant Tour for the first Quarter of 2014 , that should make any enthusiast Happy Details to follow . I'm also game if someone wants to do a get together .
    I'm sure I could think of something. Hopefully everyone else can too.

Enthusiast
    Your the best Jay !!

Year End was really a mention to putting our cars away for the winter. In no way does that mean that we can not have get togethers. I am all for getting together with friends and members. Lets keep the communitcation going and lets keep using this site as a means to keep us all informed. Dont forget if you have a suggestion to not only use this site but to also send an email to myself or Mary so that we can include other members as well. As you know not all members are active on the forum.
    Great suggestion as to the classic car auction this weekend Tommy. I personally am unavailable, but have been to it in the past.
    Great to see you so passionate, maybe you need to come on board as a director Tommy?????

Enthusiast
    Your the best Jay !!
    Thanks Tommy for the kudos , I like to think of it as a collective effort .

I'd be up for a get together or two. Weather permitting. Im bummed out i didn't make it to any events this year.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomm1 View Post
    Year End was really a mention to putting our cars away for the winter. In no way does that mean that we can not have get togethers. I am all for getting together with friends and members. Lets keep the communitcation going and lets keep using this site as a means to keep us all informed. Dont forget if you have a suggestion to not only use this site but to also send an email to myself or Mary so that we can include other members as well. As you know not all members are active on the forum.
    Great suggestion as to the classic car auction this weekend Tommy. I personally am unavailable, but have been to it in the past.
    Great to see you so passionate, maybe you need to come on board as a director Tommy?????

Sorry If the mention seemed to fall under that idea. I just that with the gala being titled as our "year end" it may put the wrong idea on members minds. It did mine so I am quoting it as a personal reason. Can't speak for others and how they perceived it. I apologize.
    On another note, I'm up for getting together for social and or active events throughout the winter months until the cars see the light once again. I have a few ideas for winter events and would love to pass them along to the directors and see what you all think and how they can be implemented.
    Lastly, I want to thank you John (Mr President), for the countless amount of hours and effort you put aside during your life to make ours more enjoyable. That goes for all the directors and their time aside that they put during their active lives to fulfill the Clubs needs and wants. Thanks to you all. You know who you are. I would hate to start naming names and miss someone out.

Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    Thanks Tommy for the kudos , I like to think of it as a collective effort .
    As for you Jay.....WHAT !!?? Definitely a collective effort. If you need any help with anything just let me know and I will be sure to let Garrett know that he is needed

Quote Originally Posted by Jeebs View Post
    I'd be up for a get together or two. Weather permitting. Im bummed out i didn't make it to any events this year.
    Nice to hear from you again. Hope we can all get together again soon and catch up on this years summer events and the like.

Enthusiast
    Ok, my fellow directors are going to roll their eyes because as usual, I have an opinion(s)/idea.....again lol.
    1. Yes to Jay's plant tour. The February long weekend event was a hit
    2. How about poker nights? Members can offer to host one in their home and everyone can pitch in a few bucks to order in pizza. If we dont' have poker players then we can do euchre tournaments. I say pizza and byob because if it storms on that night the host isn't going to be out of pocket as much if nobody shows up.

Enthusiast

No suggestion is ever out of line and every one gets explored. Last year, I made notes on your email to me and shared them at our next directors meeting. Some of them would require a lot of time and some red tape while others were definitely considered. Keep in mind that suggestions are often made that have already been tried in the past without success. We have a lot of members who enjoy club membership for various reasons. (magazine, local news and happenings, tech advice etc). Location is an obstacle for attending events as well. We have members from Sudbury to Buffalo who would need to take extra time and allow for hotel expenses in order to attend. Many of our long time and regular attendees of many events have entered a new stage in their life. (kids older and moving on). Some have taken up traveling, some are caring for elderly parents and some are getting pets to ease the empty nest syndrome lol. All of this prevents them from attending as often as they did. We have a lot of events in Vaughan. This seems to be the area that gets most members out. Hwy 400, 427 and 407 seem to help get them there. Niagara is another hot region for events as is Muskoka. This year was not much of an example because it rained almost every weekend. In fairness to our members who live outside of these areas, we sent an email suggesting that they contact me and together, we can work on an event in their area. I got no replies. I made the same suggestion in a welcome letter to one of our new members three hours away. He replied that he will keep checking the calendar in hopes of finding an event he can attend with his work and family schedule. So this is how it is for many. They are happy being a non-participating member and might come out to an event if it works for them.
    I put up a poll in our vco forum hoping it would give us an idea of what events and what locations the duration of and the type of event they preferred. Events were planned with those results in mind. Our weeknight events were on request of members who can't get away on weekends because of kids, pets, etc. Where were they? lol Members wanted more track days. Neil gave us Cayuga dates. Where were they? Hosting an exclusive track day is expensive and risky with the weather we had. If it rains, we are obligated to pay whether anyone shows up or not. That's a big expense to club funds if it rains.
    As for reference to year end, we called it that only because that's around the same time we tuck our vipers in for the winter. It was also meant to be an encouragement for all members to come and celebrate another successful viper season with good food, drinks, games, music, auction and picture video of that years events. Was it too formal? Was it the location? Was it the price? Member feedback and suggestions, would certainly help us make it better year after year. You suggested changing the name. That type of feedback is appreciated and helpful. Someone (maybe it was you?) suggested putting rain dates on events. We did that when we could. Weather is our biggest obstacle in Canada and unfortunately, that's something we just can't change.
    We've grown year after year and improved year after year. But like anything else, there's always room for improvement and member feedback is the key. We do listen
    2014 will be a terrific year. We have a very productive board of directors, terrific members and gorgeous Vipers! We also have a new association that recognizes that Canadians own Vipers too lol
    We've got everything it takes to continue being Ontario's most exciting car club!

Sorry this was so long but I hope the message was conveyed that just as you do often (slitehrv10), others will offer suggestions too. I'll also repeat something in a previous email "if you make a suggestion, we will work WITH you on it"

Let's keep the interaction strong because that's also a key to member participation! So far, red vipers are the most talkative lol...c'mon guys, get your colours in here!
    Last edited by bitn4ever; 11-03-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: omg 2 typos in one post?

Enthusiast
    Very well said Mary!!

A Euchre tournament is right up my alley. I could host one possibly mid Jan. I will know the exact date once I know when we are moving at work which is supposed to be early Jan.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bitn4ever View Post
    No suggestion is ever out of line and every one gets explored. Last year, I made notes on your email to me and shared them at our next directors meeting. Some of them would require a lot of time and some red tape while others were definitely considered. Keep in mind that suggestions are often made that have already been tried in the past without success. We have a lot of members who enjoy club membership for various reasons. (magazine, local news and happenings, tech advice etc). Location is an obstacle for attending events as well. We have members from Sudbury to Buffalo who would need to take extra time and allow for hotel expenses in order to attend. Many of our long time and regular attendees of many events have entered a new stage in their life. (kids older and moving on). Some have taken up traveling, some are caring for elderly parents and some are getting pets to ease the empty nest syndrome lol. All of this prevents them from attending as often as they did. We have a lot of events in Vaughan. This seems to be the area that gets most members out. Hwy 400, 427 and 407 seem to help get them there. Niagara is another hot region for events as is Muskoka. This year was not much of an example because it rained almost every weekend. In fairness to our members who live outside of these areas, we sent an email suggesting that they contact me and together, we can work on an event in their area. I got no replies. I made the same suggestion in a welcome letter to one of our new members three hours away. He replied that he will keep checking the calendar in hopes of finding an event he can attend with his work and family schedule. So this is how it is for many. They are happy being a non-participating member and might come out to an event if it works for them.
    I put up a poll in our vco forum hoping it would give us an idea of what events and what locations the duration of and the type of event they preferred. Events were planned with those results in mind. Our weeknight events were on request of members who can't get away on weekends because of kids, pets, etc. Where were they? lol Members wanted more track days. Neil gave us Cayuga dates. Where were they? Hosting an exclusive track day is expensive and risky with the weather we had. If it rains, we are obligated to pay whether anyone shows up or not. That's a big expense to club funds if it rains.
    As for reference to year end, we called it that only because that's around the same time we tuck our vipers in for the winter. It was also meant to be an encouragement for all members to come and celebrate another successful viper season with good food, drinks, games, music, auction and picture video of that years events. Was it too formal? Was it the location? Was it the price? Member feedback and suggestions, would certainly help us make it better year after year. You suggested changing the name. That type of feedback is appreciated and helpful. Someone (maybe it was you?) suggested putting rain dates on events. We did that when we could. Weather is our biggest obstacle in Canada and unfortunately, that's something we just can't change.
    We've grown year after year and improved year after year. But like anything else, there's always room for improvement and member feedback is the key. We do listen
    2014 will be a terrific year. We have a very productive board of directors, terrific members and gorgeous Vipers! We also have a new association that recognizes that Canadians own Vipers too lol
    We've got everything it takes to continue being Ontario's most exciting car club!

Sorry this was so long but I hope the message was conveyed that just as you do often (slitehrv10), others will offer suggestions too. I'll also repeat something in a previous email "if you make a suggestion, we will work WITH you on it"

Let's keep the interaction strong because that's also a key to member participation! So far, red vipers are the most talkative lol...c'mon guys, get your colours in here!

Whew !!! And I thought I write long responses. Well put. I am all for Poker nights or the like. Great suggestion!

I am wondering if there is going to be a meeting or a place where we can all add our input towards all these thoughts. Unfortunately some of us could not attend the "year end". I know I didn't because I just can't fathom the idea of putting this year to an end. I just cant do it !!

Anyway, on a serious note,

For some of us who do have suggestions ( I know I have some great Ideas of past and present that I would like to share with the directors), a meeting or more formal occasion is more acceptable than laying them out in the forums.

I definitely understand the frustration of participation among members and the reasoning behind that. Yes, everyone has a life and our Vipers revolve around it. I too have not attending many events that I would have love to because of all the reasons you have noted above. That's life. It's been an incredible year considering the weather conditions. Lots of new members and yes lots of new Vipers and all that is happening now just makes it that more difficult to polarize. I think we accomplished it though. I know I had an incredible time at the track with Jay, and Garretts events were great turnouts. I heard great things about the other outings and wish I could have attended. Claudio and Lucy's party was one of those that I would have loved to attend but had prior arrangements I could not cancel. I offer my apologize to them as they are great people and deserved every members attendance if it was at all possible.

I am definitely looking forward to the upcoming year and all it has to offer. With the New club, to new members and events, its going to be overwhelming.

Lets pull together once again Ontario, and make this one of the best clubs to be part of. A club that represents the new VOA and its regions with pride and honor.

We are after all VIPER OWNERS !!!

PS. Red Vipers do talk the talk.....blue vipers though, walk the walk !!!
    Last edited by slitherv10; 11-03-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Enthusiast
    Okay, here's a red Viper that talks the talk and walks the walk too

Idea:
    How about an overnight ski doo trip? Leave on a Saturday morning, return on Sunday. I can get info on resorts.. From past experience with ski doo trips, the most fun have been at resorts that have cabins with kitchens. (Party time) There's nothing better than a midnight "speducci bbq on a crisp winter night. I'll also find one that has a skating rink for anyone wishing to bring the family or for a viper ball hockey game. (if it becomes a two night stay).

I first need to know how many Viper owners ski-doo and would be interested.

Enthusiast
    No Sled here , but I do have Down Hill Skiis
    And am well versed in apres' Skiing

Enthusiast
    No Sled here , but I do have Down Hill Skiis
    And am well versed in apres' Skiing
    Once again Jay....WHAT ??? is that ^^

Enthusiast
    Next time you come out Tommy , we'll discuss the Art of Downhill Skiing and Traversing a fall line .

Enthusiast
    Next time you come out Tommy , we'll discuss the Art of Downhill Skiing and Traversing a fall line .
    HUH ? Traverse fall line?...ok..I got it...just like a pretzel. Not much of a downhill skier. Now uphill...that's a different story. Don't mess with me there Pal!

Enthusiast
    I sold my mach Z (Ski-doo) when I bought the viper. I think skiing weekend would be awesome.

Enthusiast
    I'll sit in a warm chalet having a cocktail while you folks ski.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast