Enthusiast

Rare Viper ordered Destroyed By Fiat/Chrysler

There is stuff about this in the general section and also links to petitions. Pretty terrible though. I would think the museum at CAAP could take it in. Or Tammy Allen could put it in her museum.

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/oly...248667111.html

Enthusiast
    VB,
    The following is the Official Response from Chrysler about the Viper destruction issue:

Sent: 3/6/2014 2:16:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
    Subj: Today's news from Chrysler Group

​Response to Third-party News Reports of Vipers Being Destroyed
    Approximately 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes. As part of the donation process, it is standard procedure -- and stipulated in our agreements -- that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes.
    Response to Third-party News Reports of Vipers Being Destroyed
    March 6, 2014 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Attributed to Chrysler Group LLC:

Approximately 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes. As part of the donation process, it is standard procedure -- and stipulated in our agreements -- that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes. With advancements in automotive technology over the past decade, it is unlikely that these vehicles offer any educational value to students. Chrysler Group fully understands and appreciates the historical significance of the Viper and is very active in preserving many of its legendary models and designs for historic purposes however, none of these vehicles fit into this category.

Chrysler Group has no record of any legal proceedings involving Dodge Viper vehicles donated to educational institutions being involved in accidents and product liability lawsuits.

About Chrysler Group LLC
    Chrysler Group LLC, formed in 2009 to establish a global strategic alliance with Fiat S.p.A., produces Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, SRT, FIAT and Mopar vehicles and products. With the resources, technology and worldwide distribution network required to compete on a global scale, the alliance builds on Chrysler Group’s culture of innovation, first established by Walter P. Chrysler in 1925, and Fiat’s complementary technology that dates back to its founding in 1899.

Headquartered in Auburn Hills, Mich., Chrysler Group’s product lineup features some of the world's most recognizable vehicles, including the Chrysler 300 and Town & Country, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Dart, Ram 1500, SRT Viper and Fiat 500. Fiat contributes world-class technology, platforms and powertrains for small- and medium-size cars, allowing Chrysler Group to offer an expanded product line including environmentally friendly vehicles

Enthusiast
    Sorry about the yellow hi-lights from the original post. I've tried to change the color to red.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSnake View Post
    VB,
    The following is the Official Response from Chrysler about the Viper destruction issue:

Sent: 3/6/2014 2:16:34 P.M. Pacific Standard Time
    Subj: Today's news from Chrysler Group

​Response to Third-party News Reports of Vipers Being Destroyed
    Approximately 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes. As part of the donation process, it is standard procedure -- and stipulated in our agreements -- that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes.
    Response to Third-party News Reports of Vipers Being Destroyed
    March 6, 2014 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Attributed to Chrysler Group LLC:

Approximately 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes. As part of the donation process, it is standard procedure -- and stipulated in our agreements -- that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes. With advancements in automotive technology over the past decade, it is unlikely that these vehicles offer any educational value to students. Chrysler Group fully understands and appreciates the historical significance of the Viper and is very active in preserving many of its legendary models and designs for historic purposes however, none of these vehicles fit into this category.

Chrysler Group has no record of any legal proceedings involving Dodge Viper vehicles donated to educational institutions being involved in accidents and product liability lawsuits.

About Chrysler Group LLC
    Chrysler Group LLC, formed in 2009 to establish a global strategic alliance with Fiat S.p.A., produces Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, SRT, FIAT and Mopar vehicles and products. With the resources, technology and worldwide distribution network required to compete on a global scale, the alliance builds on Chrysler Group’s culture of innovation, first established by Walter P. Chrysler in 1925, and Fiat’s complementary technology that dates back to its founding in 1899.

Headquartered in Auburn Hills, Mich., Chrysler Group’s product lineup features some of the world's most recognizable vehicles, including the Chrysler 300 and Town & Country, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Dart, Ram 1500, SRT Viper and Fiat 500. Fiat contributes world-class technology, platforms and powertrains for small- and medium-size cars, allowing Chrysler Group to offer an expanded product line including environmentally friendly vehicles

Enthusiast
    Right or wrong it doesn't make Chrysler look good in the public eye!

The Petersen Museum in Los Angeles would probably take the rarest, and abide by the requirements.

What A Waste !!!! They should have Donated Minivans or Neons, but not this. At the least , Chrysler should take it back and the other 92 and put them into a Museum, or sell them to the Public

Enthusiast
    I have a friend who is a retired ford engineer and he told me years ago in a completely unrelated manner that all test mules, press cars, cars they take to car shows, stuff used in official mpg or zero to sixty tests are always destroyed. Destroyed beyond all recognition in fact. Not just de-mil'd like an old cannon. And that was an industry-wide policy, not just ford. obviously, rare exceptions are made for historical purposes. This is then definitely in keeping with that policy. So I do understand it. It seems odd though that if museums want them, let them have them. It's not an issue of letting competitors have a look at the technology, as we are well past any concerns like that.

From a business perspective, I am sure the marketing guys said not to auction it for charity because if it doesn't sell very high, that could thoroughly hurt the brand from a devalue perspective. So then, now this story has leaked, even if every company does it 2 times a year, this one has caught people's attention. I have been emailed this story by people who don't know much, if anything, about cars but who know of my love for viper and couldn't believe what they were reading. The reason the destroy policy exists though is absolutely about marketing (if not some liability here and there, like everything), especially for cars like this. How would it look if after the tech school was done using it for teaching purposes, they let it become a home for rats on the back lot? Some journalism student snaps a photo of it years later, and now on the front page we have "what has become of the once mighty viper." Talk about a branding nightmare!

So then what to do? I am surprised they don't donate them to auto museums for the good press opportunity. Tech schools don't need to teach automotive engineering from 1992, but there are small car museums all over the country that don't have the funds but do have the passion for a car like this and would love it.

Can anyone forward that statement on to Ralph? Out of respect, I would hate to "call him out" so to speak on twitter, and bring more public attention and bad press to what is a standard industry decision and a misreported/misunderstood/misrepresented story to start with.

Thanks for the info whitesnake. I hope between that and some of what I have said we have a clearer picture of what is really happening and the issue of wrecks and lawsuits was bogus. Like I said though, some small car museums could use a viper more than the viper could use a few small museums spots. It would be nice to make that happen

P.S. also the reason for not tweeting at him, if the lawyers saw my tweet history, they would tell him to stay as far away from my twitter handle as possible. My tweets are hilarious, just wildly inappropriate for the head of a car company to even be seen reading. I do stand by my tweets though, because as we all know, inappropriate jokes are the funniest. And that is all I do on there, period.
    Last edited by Vprbite; 03-07-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Does anyone have any idea where the rest of the cars are located? If there were one nearby I would reach out to the school and see if we could partner up to do something for the car...

Enthusiast
    Everyone needs to make sure they have EVERYONE in their chapter sign the online petition, it takes less than 1 minute.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/393/1...ve-the-vipers/