Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Oil Pan bolt Leak

I've had a small amount of oil around the pan for some time with frequent drips to the floor below and finally cleaned up the area to create a fresh surface for diagnosis. In no time at all, seepage was seen in spots all around the pan, seemingly originating from several pan bolt locations. All oil pan bolts are at factory torque. I'll try attaching photos here. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm assuming the gasket is bad, but it's an odd appearance to me. Though, admittedly, I'm a but of a novice here.

If I'm correct, and the gasket needs replacing, does anyone have one they'd like to sell me for less than what Roe is currently charging? (I understand the law of supply/demand is not working in my favor).

IMG_5413.jpgIMG_5414.jpgIMG_5412.jpg

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Yes.

Maybe not.

Why would someone sell you a gasket for less than retail that they likely paid retail for? Really?

If you want to try a cheap repair take the affected bolts out one at a time. Clean them to an oil free status with brake clean or something. Using a rag and q-tips clean the area on the engine around the bolt and inside the bolt hole. Put blue RTV on the bolt threads but be careful not to get it on the very end where the threads start. You don't want the RTV up into the threaded hole. Torque to spec and move on to the next one. Might want to allow the RTV to cure for a day before driving again.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Why would someone sell you a gasket for less than retail that they likely paid retail for? Really?
    Dave, I'm not looking for a martyr here. But perhaps someone has multiple, purchased for much less than the going rate today, and would like to make a sale.

Thanks for your input.

While not cheaper, I feel it's a better part - http://viperspecialtyperformance.com...roducts_id/273

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 98RedGTS View Post
    While not cheaper, I feel it's a better part - http://viperspecialtyperformance.com...roducts_id/273
    Thanks very much!

Was there a different version for earlier cars that would benefit from this upgrade? I don’t really see an MLS gasket on a low-load joint being being an improvement on the aluminum o-ring gasket on my ‘02. Just curious. Dan obviously knows his shit.

Enthusiast
    $226 for a gasket that isn't a head gasket?? Jeez... It better not leak! Lmao

Enthusiast
    My understanding is the Gen II gaskets are reusable ...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by gfviperman View Post
    My understanding is the Gen II gaskets are reusable ...
    They are but lets face it, a aluminium gasket with a top and bottom rubber seal its now something like 20 odd years old! The rubber can't last forever

I cleaned all mine up last year, soaked the thing in brake cleaner and got every single drop of oil out of it, then cleaned out the oil pan and cleaned both surfaces, sprayed brake cleaner into the bolt holes and used cotton buds to clean threads.
    Applied RTV to the 4 corners where the machined faces are front and rear of the pan, applied rtv to some of the bolts that had also been cleaned in brake cleaner.

result im still getting oil pan leaks Pain in the arse

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    They are but lets face it, a aluminium gasket with a top and bottom rubber seal its now something like 20 odd years old! The rubber can't last forever

I cleaned all mine up last year, soaked the thing in brake cleaner and got every single drop of oil out of it, then cleaned out the oil pan and cleaned both surfaces, sprayed brake cleaner into the bolt holes and used cotton buds to clean threads.
    Applied RTV to the 4 corners where the machined faces are front and rear of the pan, applied rtv to some of the bolts that had also been cleaned in brake cleaner.

result im still getting oil pan leaks Pain in the arse
    Soaking a rubber gasket in brake clean probably isn’t the best thing for longevity. I’ve re-used my factory gasket without issue. The point about them being 20yrs old is a good one, though. Looks like the MLS gasket might be the only option for replacement with the factory item being discontinued.

Enthusiast
    Looking at those pics above Im not sure you have the OEM Mopar gasket? Yours looks like Black material? So maybe its been replaced?

Here;s pic of my oem gasket before i cleaned it up

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    Looking at those pics above Im not sure you have the OEM Mopar gasket? Yours looks like Black material? So maybe its been replaced?

Here;s pic of my oem gasket before i cleaned it up
    Mark, the black one (plastic) is the earlier OEM, I have that as well. Not sure, when they made the change to the aluminum style gasket...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by My98RT10 View Post
    Mark, the black one (plastic) is the earlier OEM, I have that as well. Not sure, when they made the change to the aluminum style gasket...
    Thanks Holger, I did not know that

Enthusiast
    Tator just replaced my oil pan gasket when he did my head gaskets. I had the exact same issue, leaking at the bolts. My advise would be to replace the gasket with the one from specialty and do what Dave said for good measure.

Enthusiast
    Vpr898 and Lalmeida617:

What year are your Vipers?

Wondering if gasket material for Gen IIs changed over the years.
    Last edited by gfviperman; 07-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Enthusiast
    Vpr898 and Lalmeida617:

What year are your Vipers?

Wondering if gasket material for Gen IIs changed over the years.
    1996 Rt

Enthusiast
    vpr898 and lalmeida617:

What year are your vipers?
    '96 gts

Enthusiast
    Although it does not appear to be the case in this circumstance, some Viper oil pans had an issue with porosity of the casting. One could be fooled into believing there was a gasket issue when in fact it’s the pan itself.

Enthusiast
    Mine did not used to leak but it does now like in the pics above.

My next plan will be to cover the entire faces in Gasket jointing compound (Blue) and then tighten everything up, works on my old British bikes.

Enthusiast
    Hey guys, just remember that Torque on Pan bolts is only 95 IN LBS. These can be very easily over torqued and send you off to the helicoil bin to repair.
    Also, my 97 had a OEM Black Pan gasket.
    Not 100% sure, but I thought at least till the end of the GEN 2 cars had OEM black gaskets and the Aluminum was an improved replacement.
    BLRD

Enthusiast
    My cars a 2000 model and came with the aluminium gasket

Most people don
    Last edited by Cap'n Hook; 07-08-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Most people don’t believe me when I tell my story, but while I had my trans out for rear seal replacement the second time, I decided to skip the rear seal, and my rear cam cover ended up being the culprit to my “leaking oil pan”. I had all the symptoms of leaking bolts/gaskets/porosity issues. But it finally quit after I removed the rear cam cover and resealed that piece. YMMV.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Hook View Post
    Most people don’t believe me when I tell my story, but while I had my trans out for rear seal replacement the second time, I decided to skip the rear seal, and my rear cam cover ended up being the culprit to my “leaking oil pan”. I had all the symptoms of leaking bolts/gaskets/porosity issues. But it finally quit after I removed the rear cam cover and resealed that piece. YMMV.
    My '96 GTS had the same issue. Replaced rear main seal under warranty and still looked like an oil pan gasket leak. Dealer then replaced rear cam plug and the "oil pan" leak went away.

Enthusiast
    Rear main seal pic.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    My '96 GTS had the same issue. Replaced rear main seal under warranty and still looked like an oil pan gasket leak. Dealer then replaced rear cam plug and the "oil pan" leak went away.
    Ron, is the leaking plug the dealer replaced in this pic the one above the rear main seal?
    BLRD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast