Enthusiast

Dealership said I need a new pcm

So I just picked up my 08 coupe 3 weeks ago and about a few days ago, I got a check engine light for p2107 (Throttle Actuator Control Module Processor). I got this when I was about an hour drive away from home and decided to cruise all the way and the car felt fine. I took it to my independent shop which told me that the pcm needs to be flashed/updated and to take it to the dealer. I live in the northern Virginia area and looked up a forum for viper friendly dealerships and decided to take her to Ourisman Dodge in Alexandria Va. the viper tech there did his thing and tried to flash the pcm but got no luck and said it was ultimately not working and that I NEED a new pcm. Should I still try and save this pcm, get a new oem pcm, or just go ahead and buy the mopar performance one?

Enthusiast
    Bijan, pretty rare for a G4 ECU to fail. Have you spoken to the prior owner and get some history or ask if they had an issues?

If you do need an new ecu I’d get a stock one first, then consider the Venom second. You, or subsequent owners can’t pass emissions with the Venom controller. If you do need a new one look for a good used from one of the vendors on the board as well well as eBay. Good luck! Mike

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    Bijan, pretty rare for a G4 ECU to fail. Have you spoken to the prior owner and get some history or ask if they had an issues?

If you do need an new ecu I’d get a stock one first, then consider the Venom second. You, or subsequent owners can’t pass emissions with the Venom controller. If you do need a new one look for a good used from one of the vendors on the board as well well as eBay. Good luck! Mike
    Thank you, I think I’ll start looking for a used pcm.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijan.Z View Post
    Thank you, I think I’ll start looking for a used pcm.
    Bijan, I believe you need to find a use one that's body specific for your coupe. Seems the body control module is slight different between coupes and verts.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    Bijan, I believe you need to find a use one that's body specific for your coupe. Seems the body control module is slight different between coupes and verts.
    Really? That’s a shame! A friend was gonna give me his 08 vert pcm. Guess that’s not an option now.

Enthusiast
    Before you do anything, verify that your current PCM was not flashed with HPTuners at some point in the vehicle's history. If it was, the dealership would not be able to flash the PCM as you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Before you do anything, verify that your current PCM was not flashed with HPTuners at some point in the vehicle's history. If it was, the dealership would not be able to flash the PCM as you described.
    Is it true that flashing with HPTuners over-writes the OS? I've read that before, but it just seems so weird that it would do that?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
    Is it true that flashing with HPTuners over-writes the OS? I've read that before, but it just seems so weird that it would do that?
    It does, but for two reasons:

- It allows you to read out the PCM (can't do that with the stock OS)
    - It allows you to log enhanced PIDs with the scanner - knock retard by cylinder, MAF voltage, things of that nature that are essential to tuning

But because it overwrites the stock OS, the factory scan tools can no longer communicate with it. That's both good and bad. Bad because you can no longer flash it back to totally stock, but good because a dealer can't overwrite your custom tune.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    ^^^^ What he said... Definitely doublecheck (visually) whether it's a stock PCM installed in your car to start. If it looks like it's an OEM version (ie. doesn't say Arrow PCM or Mopar PCM or something like that) then try reaching out to see if you can get info back from the original owner of the car to find out if they had it tuned with HPTuners. Like Steve said, it changes the OS on the PCM and makes it so the stock readers can't communicate with it. When the dealer sees that, they just fall back on the easiest solution for them... "replace it".

If you can't get ahold of the previous owner then you could be in a bit of trouble and not have much choice but to get a new ECU which presents its own challenges too if other stuff has been done to the car like headers which could start immediately throwing codes on a stock ECU. Might be getting ahead of myself on that one though. Good luck!

Enthusiast
    One other generic thing you can try to see if it resolves your issue is to do a throttle relearn procedure. I believe there are instructions on the site somewhere, I just don't recall since I use HPT to do the relearn. Pretty sure it involves turning the key on and off a few times, gas pedal down all the way, etc. It's usually pretty quick and easy so may as well give it a try.

Why dont you call Chuck Tator and ask his advice before purchasing anything. Tell him the story and see what he says. Eventhough you are in Virginia and he is NY, I dont think he would mind telling you which direction to begin to move forward. one of the most knowledgeable people for any Viper question. IMO
    1 (914) 763-3136

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjazx71 View Post
    ^^^^ What he said... Definitely doublecheck (visually) whether it's a stock PCM installed in your car to start. If it looks like it's an OEM version (ie. doesn't say Arrow PCM or Mopar PCM or something like that) then try reaching out to see if you can get info back from the original owner of the car to find out if they had it tuned with HPTuners. Like Steve said, it changes the OS on the PCM and makes it so the stock readers can't communicate with it. When the dealer sees that, they just fall back on the easiest solution for them... "replace it".

If you can't get ahold of the previous owner then you could be in a bit of trouble and not have much choice but to get a new ECU which presents its own challenges too if other stuff has been done to the car like headers which could start immediately throwing codes on a stock ECU. Might be getting ahead of myself on that one though. Good luck!
    the car is completely stock, bought in auction so it is a little difficult to reach out to the previous owner. I went ahead and just ordered a mopar performance pcm just cause I am planning on doing bolt ons down the road so I might as well start preparing for it now.