Enthusiast

After Carlisle Pocono Raceway Track Day July 14th

So the Chrysler Nationals at the Carlisle Fairgrounds is an awesome annual show, but four full days is a little much for my taste. https://www.carlisleevents.com/event...sler+nationals

The PA/WV VOA is having a 20x40 tent with tables and chairs on Saturday, July 13, I find that after our catered meal on Saturday, there's not really that much going on on Sunday. Anyone left is basically packing up and heading home or waiting around to pick up a winner's plaque.

Well, what if we rented the South and East courses at Pocono Raceway and had a Viper-exclusive track day on that Sunday instead?

The length would be 1.65 miles (the purple line). 3rd gear is probably all you'd need here. No part of the Tri-Oval is on this course, so it's nice and lower-speed with plenty of run-off room for you to hone your skillz without much risk.
    Pocono-Viper-2019-Road-Course-Map.jpg

We've got a "minimum" of 15 garage spaces too, should we decide to pull the trigger on this.

The idea would be to cruise out of Carlisle after the show on Saturday, July 13th, and then drive to a hotel block close to Pocono for the night, and then spend that Sunday, July 14th on the track, playing around in our Vipers!

I just received pricing on the track rental this morning, and rentals are first come first serve. The pricing for track rental is $10,300 without corner workers or insurance. As I understand it, the VOA provides liability insurance for events. I've reached out to Beth for some advice on that.

You can do the math on what it would cost any individual. Obviously, the more people who want to come, the cheaper it will be. It would be nice to get the cost under $300 per car, so that's 35 people.

We would get to organise the day by our rules too. The point is to encourage those who've never been to a track before to get on one and try it out. Get and give rides, and get some free advice from the more-seasoned drivers out there. Beginner and advanced run groups, of course.

Who would be interested in doing something like this?? Respond ASAP!! All Vipers welcome!
    Last edited by Bryan Savage; 04-22-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Enthusiast
    Bump.

Got three additional "yesses" so far. Need quite a few more.

1) Me
    2) Matt K.
    3) Margaret & Tim L.
    4) Jonathan M.

This is a good chance to get your car on the track with other Viper owners, in a no-pressure environment. We get to set our own rules for this, so we don't have to adhere to anyone else's schedule. I want people to come have fun. Ride in others' cars. Give rides in yours. Get good driving tips and instruction without having to worry about a bunch of strangers breathing down your neck on the track.

This is a fairly short course and top speed will probably just kiss 100mph. Third gear is probably all you'll need. Plenty of run-off room everywhere. Come work on your technique.

SA2010 helmets or better/newer. No motorcycle helmets. I'll have a couple to lend out if you don't have one and don't want to buy one. Shorts and short sleeves are fine here.

Let's go!!

Enthusiast
    Ferrari 360GT.jpg

This guy wants to come out and play too, but I need more people!!

Enthusiast
    I'm in

Enthusiast
    So far, it's:

1) Me
    2) Matt K.
    3) Margaret & Tim L.
    4) Jonathan M.
    5) Chris P.
    6) Josh P.
    7) Len R.
    8) Dave M.
    9) Steve H.

Still not enough people by a long shot.

How much is the track? Maybe dive up the expenses....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankBarba View Post
    How much is the track? Maybe dive up the expenses....
    This isn't going to happen, Frank. I only got ten people to be interested, and the price as stated above was $10,300 for just the track. VOA liability insurance was another $1,500, corner workers would be around $800, and I didn't even bother looking into food or other perks. There's just no way anyone is going to want to drop $1,200 a person on a track day when they could sign up with someone like Hooked on Driving and only pay $375-$475 for the Mega Course.

Sorry, sir!!

Well just maybe a CC will make it to carlisle....Need some help putting together a poster board with different phases of the car to its current stance.
    Tracks visited, times, and enduros, sprints...ect...ect...

Hey guys I just found this thread. An idea, maybe try for another date, but post it in the NY/CT and Jersey forums as well, and you may get more people interested. I definitely would have been in. There are a bunch of guys who track their Vipers out here that I am sure would make the trip to Pocono.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie7 View Post
    Hey guys I just found this thread. An idea, maybe try for another date, but post it in the NY/CT and Jersey forums as well, and you may get more people interested. I definitely would have been in. There are a bunch of guys who track their Vipers out here that I am sure would make the trip to Pocono.
    Hey Richie,

That's not a bad idea.

In the meantime, check out Track Xperienz. (https://www.trackxperienz.com/) They run NJMP and NYST fairly often, and Sam keeps the fees to around $300 per car. Those are a little closer than Pocono for you.