Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Venom Racer View Post
    Awesome video. Bob Lutz was and still is an incredible guy. We were very fortunate to have him at the helm.
    During Bob's speech, he referenced the many letters, some including deposit checks, that Chrysler received as a result of car shows and magazine articles. One of those checks was MINE! Thankfully, it had been returned, un-cashed, as it would have bounced. That is how I got "On The List" back in 1991. Due to Indy Pace Car.

When he read the letter "To The Gods At Chrysler, Build This Car" you can hear the audience laughing. I had pulled a "Wayne's World" moment, bowing in the aisle and proclaiming twice, loudly: "We Are Not Worthy!" You can barley hear me in the vid, while Bob is pointing at the nut bowing in the aisle.....

Later that night and next day, several folks asked "Was that YOU going all Waynes-World?" I confessed...... Marty Levine later told Lutz who it was, 'the Pace Car Guy' and Bob commented "No More Bowing, Jon..."
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Enthusiast
    Each year we got lots of calls and questions about where our summer vacation was going to be.

In '94, when the answer was "Detroit" ...

... the most usual response was ..... silence ...
    Last edited by gfviperman; 02-24-2020 at 08:26 PM.

These anecdotes are fantastic! Really enjoyable for someone who didn't get involved until many years later, please keep them coming! It was fun seeing people I met nearly 20 years later in Charlotte.

Credit goes to Mike Kuchavik Jr. for converting the original VHS, and thanks to Jon for posting and sharing the great memories!

Thanks for making this a sticky. Love hearing stories from the good old days!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    These anecdotes are fantastic! Really enjoyable for someone who didn't get involved until many years later, please keep them coming! It was fun seeing people I met nearly 20 years later in Charlotte.

Credit goes to Mike Kuchavik Jr. for converting the original VHS, and thanks to Jon for posting and sharing the great memories!

Thanks for making this a sticky. Love hearing stories from the good old days!
    Exactly!

BTW: Check out the other Viper videos on that channel, some awesome blast from the past!

Enthusiast

Can you buy the DVD somewhere? Maybe I missed it?

Enthusiast
    Hey JonB, thanks for posting!!!

I recognize that first owner in the video, the guy with the tie. Can't remember, he's either a team leader at the Microsoft HQ or the GM at Washougal Dodge?? Kind of stiff at first but a real smart guy.

Oh how I long for those good old days!!! The great beginning of Viper, absolutely mesmorized the world. I bought my '94 about 2 years later and seemed like every 6 months Dodge sent me a poster or something in the mail for years! Such a great group of folks at Dodge. 3 plus years later they decided to go racing and were very successful! Those were the absolute best of times for Viper!

Over the years they replaced the original leadership with new great talent, but, they never replaced Lutz, and the Daimler purchase took the wind out of the sails. Viper racing ended as they put all the $$$'s in Nascar. Cerberus comes along and F's up the whole company and the great recession hit them so they fire sale new Vipers at auction in '09. All goes dark at the end of '10 as Sergio try's to rebuild the company. Back again for '13 but I would tell you that Lutz would have never signed off on a $140 MSRP Launch Edition and viper would still be in production if he was there!!!!

Sorry for the rant!! I long for the period of '91-2000, absolute best of times for Viper!!! thanks for posting this video!!!

Enthusiast

Penthouse Moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    These anecdotes are fantastic! Really enjoyable for someone who didn't get involved until many years later, please keep them coming! was fun seeing people I met nearly 20 years later in Charlotte.

Credit goes to Mike Kuchavik Jr. for converting the original VHS, and thanks to Jon for posting and sharing the great memories! Love hearing stories from the good old days!
    OK, here is another, a bit of a 'Penthouse' moment?

In the Marriott parking Garage around midnite, Steve at Autoform was debuting his mule hard-top. Several of us were there, along with a tall, ravishing redhead in a flimsy almost-transparent dress who just showed up. She had a photog with her, and said she was a "Mopar Tough Trucks" poster girl for some prior Dodge event. The photog had VOI guest creds.

She wanted to get some pix inside a Viper, and so I obliged. I helped her into the driver seat, and apologized that she had to sit on my red race harnesses and buckles (a rarity in 1994!). She suggested that it would be sexier to WEAR the harnesses, and so I was happy to oblige.

While she scooted up in the seat, I retrieved the lap and sub belts from underneath her, and the shoulder belts from behind her. I apologized for all the 'inadvertent contact' of the process. She was all giggly, as the photog was clicking away.

As I fastened her into the harnesses, and tightened her shoulder belts, she arranged them strategically over her top, along with her LONG red hair.

She began reaching, waving, posing, hair-flips etc for a couple minutes. By now, 3-4 Owners had stopped by and took pix too.

At this point, she asked if the harnesses would be OK in place if she 'got skimpy'. I told her they would stay in place if the car flipped over, and she DROPPED HER TOP!!!

I graciously helped her arrange the 3" wide harnesses over her 36" front fascia, and she resumed her posing routine.

At one point she wanted to 'sit up higher' and the harnesses HAD to be adjusted to accommodate. The whole process was about 15 minutes. She and the photog PROMISED to mail me some prints (1994 remember.)

The next day, the 5-6 owners who viewed this episode had begun to spread the story. Rumor was, it was ME who arranged the shoot, and lots of owners wanted prints! As much as I denied staging the event, few believed me.

I have to say, that after owning 17 Vipers, NONE of them looked as sexy as that G1 Red with Redhead interior in the midnite parking garage!

Epilogue: Nearly TWO YEARS LATER I received a 5x7 plain brown envelope in the mail with about 1 dozen of the pix, no names, no addresses. Just a thank-you note and an apology for the delay.

I swear on my VCA Founding Officer credentials its 100% true!
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-21-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Enthusiast
    This is a great string. Thanks for starting Jon.

Enthusiast
    Upload the pix, Jon...

Enthusiast
    Awesome video

Enthusiast
    Jon B you missed a Golden opportunity by not asking her " Does Red up Top mean Fire down below ! ".............lol !
    You may have been pleasantry surprised with her response.............

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post

In the Marriott parking Garage around midnite, Steve at Autoform was debuting his mule hard-top. Several of us were there, along with a tall, ravishing redhead in a flimsy almost-transparent dress who just showed up. She had a photog with her, and said she was a "Mopar Tough Trucks" poster girl for some prior Dodge event. The photog had VOI guest creds.

She wanted to get some pix inside a Viper, and so I obliged. I helped her into the driver seat, and apologized that she had to sit on my red race harnesses and buckles (a rarity in 1994!). She suggested that it would be sexier to WEAR the harnesses, and so I was happy to oblige.

While she scooted up in the seat, I retrieved the lap and sub belts from underneath her, and the shoulder belts from behind her. I apologized for all the 'inadvertent contact' of the process. She was all giggly, as the photog was clicking away.

As I fastened her into the harnesses, and tightened her shoulder belts, she arranged them strategically over her top, along with her LONG red hair.

She began reaching, waving, posing, hair-flips etc for a couple minutes. By now, 3-4 Owners had stopped by and took pix too.

At this point, she asked if the harnesses would be OK in place if she 'got skimpy'. I told her they would stay in place if the car flipped over, and she DROPPED HER TOP!!!

I graciously helped her arrange the 3" wide harnesses over her 36" front fascia, and she resumed her posing routine.

At one point she wanted to 'sit up higher' and the harnesses HAD to be adjusted to accommodate. The whole process was about 15 minutes. She and the photog PROMISED to mail me some prints (1994 remember.)

The next day, the 5-6 owners who viewed this episode had begun to spread the story. Rumor was, it was ME who arranged the shoot, and lots of owners wanted prints! As much as I denied staging the event, few believed me.

I have to say, that after owning 17 Vipers, NONE of them looked as sexy as that G1 Red with Redhead interior in the midnite parking garage!

Epilogue: Nearly TWO YEARS LATER I received a 5x7 plain brown envelope in the mail with about 1 dozen of the pix, no names, no addresses. Just a thank-you note and an apology for the delay.

Great stuff! Thanks Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by quickster2 View Post

Can you buy the DVD somewhere? Maybe I missed it?
    As far as I'm aware, a DVD is not currently available

Regional President
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida

"If a Viper doesn't turn your head, check your pulse, you may be dead" Lee Iaccocca Now go build it!!!!

Enthusiast
    Jon, thanks for putting the video up. I have never seen that one.

Jon, you are really bringing back a lot of memories....thanks Denny with Ohio VCA

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pastohio View Post
    jon, you are really bringing back a lot of memories....thanks denny with ohio vca

Hey DENNY !!!!

I thought that was O-I-HO ???
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-25-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Enthusiast
    Jon, still waiting for your book. Best seller for sure.

Enthusiast
    Great seeing this video! Back in College I went to the MIS to see this event. Had tickets to the infield/Suite, I was there for the race and had no clue this was the first invitational for the Viper group. Seeing the few hundred Vipers parked in the infield was incredible. I remember after the race seeing all the Vipers hauling ass on all the country roads. Became an instant fan!!

Enthusiast
    Sounds like you have a trip to the archives John! Not that I don’t believe you but PICS or it didn’t happen. No lying, nobody throws those pics out. Ha! Ha!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloviper View Post
    Sounds like you have a trip to the archives John! Not that I don’t believe you but PICS or it didn’t happen. No lying, nobody throws those pics out. Ha! Ha!
    Those 1994 35mm pix remained tucked into my travel-biz briefcase til I changed career jobs in 1998. No briefcases needed. I dont know where that briefcase is, but it still contains those sexy pix. They will probably get discovered when my estate is settled...

Enthusiast
    BUMP for Steve W.

Enthusiast
    Maurice and i discussed VOI i this past weekend ...

Never to be forgotten ...

Hello there i am new in this platform.

Hello there, wishing you all a happy day.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post

great story .but not credible without pics!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast