Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]

25 Years Ago Some COOL Hissssstory V O I 1 Video

Many thanks to Kurt Wadsworth in PA for helping to resurrect the VHS tape of VOI-1 and get in on YouTube.

Back then, there were only Gen 1 Vipers; No National clubs; only 4 regional clubs; No CAAP; Dodge Marketing and JRThompson were DaMen. And Dodge still mustered up a few hundred owners for a party. I think it cost $250. We toured MACK AVE! It did NOT have "VOI-1" name, just VOI. [No one knew if there would be a second!]

So after 25 years and 14 VOIs, take 45 minutes and look back. WERE YOU THERE? Speak Up! Provide an anecdote? You will love the stroll down the Viper Memory Lane:
    Enjoy....
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-21-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Enthusiast
    This is soooo cool! We need more of those videos, thanks so much for sharing!

Enthusiast
    I have this VHS, no VHS player though. lol

Enthusiast
    Were you there? Do tell !

Enthusiast
    Damn Jon, you had personality then...what happened?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsGood View Post
    Damn Jon, you had personality then...what happened?
    That was Before CLUBS!

Club Politics and 12000+ posts must have made me crusty, crabby and prematurely grey!

Enthusiast
    Nice blast from the past , thanks for sharing Jon !

Enthusiast
    Thanks Jon. Geez people I know looked a lot younger back then!

Ron

Enthusiast
    Thanks for posting Jon.

Enthusiast
    I was there!!! Have the videos, also ... AND the MUG!!!

Still the best gathering of all ... no one knew what to expect, even Dodge.

Drove the late '93 from Virginia to Detroit. Rained like mad all through WVA. Got some towels to plug leaks ...

Stopped at rest area about 10 miles outside of Detroit. A Maryland Viper was there.

After a bathroom break, we introduced ourselves ...

Looked in his Viper ..

His towels were in the same place as ours!!!

Being a Mopar Freak my whole life, this was as good as it could possible get ...

Enthusiast
    Jon- Thanks for sharing. I bet it was a great time!

Enthusiast
    Its really funny looking at the Video stye and the fashions / haircuts people had

The cars have aged much better than we have

Enthusiast
    I was there! My wife and I also celebrated our wedding anniversary in Detroit - just not our first. We partied quite late the night before the MIS parade laps and IROC race, so we were hung over at the tail-end of the convoy the whole day. Everyone there was saying - 'I've only ever seen 2, or 3, or 5 Vipers in one place.' This event had slightly over 200. The whole event was a very, very special time!

Enthusiast
    It would be nice to see the names of people that attended. Anyone have that list??

Enthusiast
    That's some nice footage. Thanks for sharing.

Enthusiast
    Ironoic to say, but I was amazed at who is NOT in the video! Think about it....

Quote Originally Posted by A2008 View Post
    It would be nice to see the names of people that attended. Anyone have that list??
    At one time I had the attendee owner list! It was FAXED to me few months afterwards, with Dodge Marketing permission. Dodge was VERY possessive of their owners list.

Sadly, if you are old enuf to remember wax-paper-roll fax machines, after about 5 years the image faded away.

Its in a box in storage somewhere tho.....
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Enthusiast
    Recognized a ton of folks , but have to thank Jon B. for posting this , since he obviously from the picture had just come out of puberty -- damn you look young JB, ha!! Best 47 plus minutes of video I have watched all Winter. If you haven't watched this, find time in your day to enjoy the primary years of the Viper.

And to Kurt W., thanks for resurrecting this old video - made my day!
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 02-20-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    I was there! My wife and I also celebrated our wedding anniversary in Detroit - just not our first. We partied quite late the night before the MIS parade laps and IROC race, so we were hung over at the tail-end of the convoy the whole day. Everyone there was saying - 'I've only ever seen 2, or 3, or 5 Vipers in one place.' This event had slightly over 200. The whole event was a very, very special time!
    Dean, were you there in /at the bar when we created and sang the parody of "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena [Kansas City]" to Jean Randall ? It was later published in Viper Quarterly, issue 1 or 2...... This video opens with it !!

Enthusiast
    Thanks Bill: One funny anecdote: Lutz arrived at the Dodge Mansion parking lot in his HELICOPTER.

200+ Vipers were there, polished to pristine condition, tops-off. The dust-devil that helo kicked up affected 40-50 of the cars parked in the back rows there ! Folks were scurrying to get their Calif Dusters and other mist-wipe stuff out in the panic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Recognized a ton of folks , but have to thank Jon B. for posting this , since he obviously from the picture had just come out of puberty -- damn you look young JB, ha!! Best 47 plus minutes of video I have watched all Winter. If you haven't watched this, find time in your day to enjoy the primary years of the Viper.
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Enthusiast
    Crap , Lutz damn near looked like George Clooney's brother back then?! Super cool everyone got to go to the Dodge Mansion , & I now understand why many who made that first event passionately state it would be hard to ever completely match the excitement? Might be nice to see if Dodge would allow the Club to reprint this on a CD Disc and have for sale through the Club Store -- I know I would buy a copy!!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pemberton View Post
    Crap , Lutz damn near looked like George Clooney's brother back then?! Super cool everyone got to go to the Dodge Mansion , & I now understand why many who made that first event passionately state it would be hard to ever completely match the excitement? Might be nice to see if Dodge would allow the Club to reprint this on a CD Disc and have for sale through the Club Store -- I know I would buy a copy!!
    Who would have the guts to ask?!? Last I heard..................

Many who attended got an Indy Pace Car Lapel Pin from 1991 race. White/Red, you can see it on some interviewees. Mine can be seen on the Shelby-Signed glove box latch.

Thats a neat memento.....
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 01:16 PM.

Enthusiast
    IMG_0014.jpg

Haven't touched this in years ...

Still looks new ...

Hope this works.

Enthusiast
    When we went to CTC for the group photo, a short rain-burst fell. Sneaky Pete Agalzoff (RIP) and I were there from rainy Oregon, and WE knew how to put a soft top and windows on FAST. Some tonneau too. Many owners there had NEVER built their soft tops or Tonneau!

There were dozens of owners waving $10 and $20 bills at us yelling "Next Next" asking for help. Pete and I probably installed 20 tops in 30 minutes, and we had quite an audience watching how it was done. We discovered then and there, that 92 and early 93 tops were vinyl; 93 late were canvas with 92 hardware; and 94 were different hardware than either.

[We did NOT accept the $$]

'Sneaky Pete' Agalzoff was credited by many with creating the "Snake Salute" with 2-finger-thumb fangs that became common at VOI-1 and later. Miss him..... lost too young

Quote Originally Posted by gfviperman View Post
    I was there!!! Have the videos, also ... AND the MUG!!!

Still the best gathering of all ... no one knew what to expect, even Dodge.

Drove the late '93 from Virginia to Detroit. Rained like mad all through WVA. Got some towels to plug leaks ...

Stopped at rest area about 10 miles outside of Detroit. A Maryland Viper was there.

After a bathroom break, we introduced ourselves ...

Looked in his Viper ..

His towels were in the same place as ours!!!

Being a Mopar Freak my whole life, this was as good as it could possible get ...
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 02-20-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Awesome video. Bob Lutz was and still is an incredible guy. We were very fortunate to have him at the helm.

Enthusiast
    Someone needs to convert this to a DVD. Great video that captures the passion we have for these cars. Brings to light what "snake-bit" really means.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast