Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Laguna Seca High DB Trackday Memorial Day May 27th 2019

Another rare opportunity this year to lap Laguna Seca without lifting on a high DB (103db) trackday on Memorial Day Mon. 5/27/19. Low car count as there are only 3 run groups so 7 sessions will be run with each group. Looks like there are 5 Vipers in so far (I think last year there were about 10+) so let's see if we can cause another snake jam this year. Sign-up soon if interested as there is only one group available as of today (Group B Point By) unless you have a racecar (that group is still open). You can register with the organizer ETD here, hope to see some fellow Viper folks out there:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...ck-days-746629
    Last edited by RickyBobby; 01-07-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Enthusiast
    RB, looking forward to meeting you there. Last June I was signed up but had a motor issue so sold my spot.

Ben, Tom and I all have comp coupes in the open passing group as that racecar group is another $250 to run!!!

I can pass at 105 we'll see about the 103. Ben has issues at 105 and will have to lift.

Its too bad weekend has scheduling conflicts for a number of folks in SoCal as we'd have 3-4 more if they were available

See you there!! Mike

Enthusiast
    Last year I entered and had medical issues and had to cancel. I was able to get in this year into the Group A open passing category with my 2014 GTS. I just finished installing an APR wing and splitter as well as rear diffusers and front canards. I am hoping I will get some early track days up here to get the car set up.
    I am really forward to running with some other Vipers and I am studying track videos as well as the Track Walk videos so I will have an idea of what to expect when I run there. I am also planning to take the Sunday before the track day to do a little sight seeing in the Monterey area.
    Hope to see you there.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the comp coupe contingent, was awesome to see these on track...especially through The Corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Best of luck with sound, hehehe might have to run those GPS enabled Laguna pipes that the P-Cars are known to run on normal sound days.

Hope you can make it out this year, it's an awesome feeling to run our snakes flat out on this track. I also run the front APR splitter on mine although mine is about 2 inches longer than the standard version. A Viper with aero on this track works well due to the fast speeds of Laguna Seca. For videos, take a look at Darius and Venom on you tube, they have the Viper lines you'll want to follow on this track. Videos and video game sims give you an idea of the line but this tack has little nuiances in the curves and undulations of the road....plus the feeling of slithering through The Corkscrew the first time is roller coaster like and you peripherally get an awesome view of the the Pacific Ocean and Monterrey Coast (sometimes distracting at times on clear days).

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. I am waiting for a run of dry weather so I can get on track here and try to balance out my aero package. It sounds like Laguna Seca will be a great track for it.
    We have a track called The Ridge about an hour from me http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/ . It has a similar track length and even a smaller version of the Corkscrew which gives me a chance to experience going downhill with unloaded suspension. I think if I get things balanced there it may be close for Laguna Seca.
    I know they will probably be sending more details about the facilities at the track, but I wanted to see if they will have premium gas available on site. Also do they allow passengers in your car on track day? I do that here to help people enjoy the full experience of being on track. Additionally do they have any special clothing requirements? At straightaway competitions I have had to wear Nomex and wear a full face helmet. I guess the main reason I ask so early is because I am driving to and from the track and want to pack only what is necessary.
    Another question is can I visit the track on the day before our track day? I see they have a Lexus track day scheduled and it would be nice to check out the facility and see what the paddock is like.

While threading The Corkscrew, Vipers can actually start applying maintenance throttle as you are mid-corner of The Corscrew (once you are heading straight downhill for a second) and before you turn-in for the final bottom section right turn of The Corkscrew.

There are gas pumps on site in the paddok...it can get busy at times waiting for pumps as there are only about 4 nozzles available. Lowest octane available is 91, highest is 100 or 103 octane...it is quite expensive at the track and the nearest gas stations are about 10 mins.outside of track.

ETD, the organizers do allow passengers with helmet and waiver sign-off. At registration you can get the waiver form for passengers and they give them a wristband I believe...18 and up. As far as clothing requirements, just need a helmet and long not synthetic pants (jeans even shorts okay). Long cotton or nomex shirt recommended but usually not required. They will send out car inspection check list and rules about a month or two before the event for specifics, if you haven't heard by then email them and they are pretty responsive.

I believe you signed up for the open passing group A....this will be a fairly fast group. I'm actually in Group B Point By. Last year in Group A was a P1, competition 488, Porsche Cup Cars, and Viper ACRs, and fast GT3 cars. Drop down to Group B if you ever feel it's too fast a group, even group B will be a fairly fast group as well.

You can visit Laguna Seca any day and as long as it's not a media, manufacture, pro, or race day then you'll be fine to take a peek With the Lexus group the days prior you should be fine to take a look. Climb up the hill the Corkscrew and you can see the entire layout of the track.

Let me know if there are other questions.

Enthusiast
    Viperr, Ricky Bobby seemed to answer all your questions. As for fuel, like he said, they have premium and unleaded or leaded race gas. I'd guess they sell their 91 for $6.00 Fill up locally before you get there. You can then run out for fuel during the lunch break or just pay at the track. Laguna is pretty fast paced, you probably use 4-5 gallons per session and there are 7 sessions that day.

Here's a video from the last time I was there in 11/17. As you'll see it was a 2 day event and we had a number of vipers. (Sorry for the sound quality!!). I'm not as fast as Darius, if you've seen his videos, but I had respectable best times in the 1:37-38's. You'll get a handle on the Corkscrew after a couple of sessions. As you'll see there is heavy braking before you turn in. One of the trickiest turns in the left-hander after the CS, its off camber so you need maintenance throttle as you approach. Also, there are 3 blind areas in fast sections that take some getting used to. The left-lander after the VP Bridge, the section before you brake before the CS and the front straight. The video camera is above the mirror but you're eyes lower in the car so you can't see in my video how there all blind. Watch all the instructional videos you can find and grid towards the back on your first session so you can follow other cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCZdHA_6Vkg

RickyBobby, my buddies told me about the prototypes and some of the other fast cars you saw in July. I'm thinking that's why the established the race group but still have only 3 groups. I'll bet most/all of those guys run in the race group.

Enthusiast
    Thanks to all for the info. I tried to enter Group B, but by the 27th of December it was full. I have run in advanced and free passing classes and I am pretty good about staying out of the way of the real fast cars.
    I am hoping to latch on to some cars and watch from behind to get comfortable with the layout. There is an incredible amount of info including many great videos. For extra help I can go to a very nice driving simulator at The Lemay Car Museum in Tacoma. They have a couple of nice simulators with the 3 big screen televisions and hydraulically actuated seats. They give you an fairly realistic idea of how the track goes. Still, there is nothing like running on the real track.
    I am also researching how to set up with my new aero package. I have lots of data on the wing, but making it work with the splitter, canards and diffusers will take some track time. When I had my 99 RT-10 I had a CF Mopar spoiler, canards and diffusers and it seemed to work out, but a wing is a whole lot more extreme than the spoiler I ran.
    I have been lucky enough to run at the Charlotte Roval (the old version), Miller Sports Park, Portland International, and Seattle International and I learned to start out following people till the track started looking familiar and then getting a little quicker as the day goes on. Hopefully I can do that at Laguna Seca without embarrassing myself.

Enthusiast
    It looks like I am going to be able to come this year. I have been able to get some testing with the aero and I am liking the results. I just got a new set of Toyo 888-Rs and will run them Tuesday. I am still planning to drive to the track on Sunday as I have a day to sightsee. I wanted to check the Viper owners and see what time I need to arrive at the track in the morning. I would like to be able to pit with some other Viper people if possible. I will have a lot of questions for sure. Hopefully I will have some Vipers in my run group and I can follow and see how they run the track. I have watched the You tube video you mentioned and it has been a great help. I assume there will be food available at the track. I will be staying in Salinas, but if there are any Viper owners who will be around on Sunday I would love to get together to meet them.

Enthusiast
    Rich, looks like 6 Vipers are registered, including you and me. I know Tom from Fresno, the other 3 guys are in the NorCal area.

I'm booked to stay at the Residence Inn in Salinas. I have a room for Saturday and Sunday night. Just not sure of our (wife) plans yet, either come up Saturday or Sunday.

I'll send a pm with my cell #

Yeah food at the track, snack bar with decent variety

Hoping to fit with other vipers but only know 1 guy going. Here's a facility map. If you've never been there its a little trickey figuring out where to park.
    You want to enter into the track at 3 on this map. You'll see the Paddock on this map, lots of area, closer to the track is best.

https://www.weathertechraceway.com/node/3768

take care and see you in a coupe of weeks. Mike

Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the information. I will be staying at the Super 8 Wyndham in Salinas on Saturday, Sunday and Monday night and will drive home Monday morning. I will have Sunday to clean up my car and make a trip to the track to check it out. How early do I need to arrive on track Day?

Enthusiast
    Schedule is in the link on the 1st post

Registration opens at 7 am- 8am. Drivers meeting at 8:05. Track goes hot @9am

Depending on what you need to do to you car, I’d say arrive 7 am or earlier. I’m hoping I can drop my car and trailer at the track Sunday night, we’ll see

Hi Mike,

As of now I'm planning on going. I have a room for Sunday in Salinas at the Laurel Inn.

I do need to find some time over the next week or 2 for working on the car. I talked with Ross, he mentioned their last outing with the car was @ Pittsburgh and that he raised the rear quite a bit to keep from dragging on the very bumpy track there. So lowering it should help with the oversteer. Have some new slicks coming too.

Do they typically do no high DB limit day on Memorial Day weekend every year?

Enthusiast
    Tom, hope you get it sorted out. My car came with the tall rear Pirelli’s and I had Ross set the suspension and alignment with 345 Hoosiers. I’m heading to Fontana next Sunday with NASA to check my new diff and to see how the fuel pickup is working. Dan modified the fuel pump after Willow. Want to run next weekend to make sure all is OK. See you in 2 weeks!!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by IHOP View Post
    Do they typically do no high DB limit day on Memorial Day weekend every year?
    IHOP, high DB days are random now and maybe one or two days per year. Last year this same group had a 1 day in June. Really getting hard to find a day to accommodate Vipers. Look at there track schedule, this is the only day listed in ‘19. Plus, any organizer that can secure a date with high DB sells out in days.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    IHOP, high DB days are random now and maybe one or two days per year. Last year this same group had a 1 day in June. Really getting hard to find a day to accommodate Vipers. Look at there track schedule, this is the only day listed in ‘19. Plus, any organizer that can secure a date with high DB sells out in days.
    I know they sell out super quick I was thinking to plan ahead for next year. I will have to just keep watching what days they now offer the high DB days. I would love to join you guys next year!

Enthusiast
    IHOP, I know you and Cable are buddies and I’ve got his contact info

1/2 the time or more we get an email from the NorCal guys when they hear of a high DB day. I’ll make sure to send AZ a note if I hear of one

You’ve got to be ready to pull the trigger fast when they come up, and the dates can be odd. This one is Monday only (7 sessions on Memorial Day Monday). These guys did the last one and it was on a Monday last June

You can keep an eye out on the calendar @ motorsportsreg.com or get on their email list and get updates.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTanRT/10 View Post
    IHOP, I know you and Cable are buddies and I’ve got his contact info

1/2 the time or more we get an email from the NorCal guys when they hear of a high DB day. I’ll make sure to send AZ a note if I hear of one

You’ve got to be ready to pull the trigger fast when they come up, and the dates can be odd. This one is Monday only (7 sessions on Memorial Day Monday). These guys did the last one and it was on a Monday last June
    Ok yeah Cable and I talk often, please keep us posted. Thank you guys for the help!

Enthusiast
    I wanted to check in with other forum members. It looks like I will be heading out from Bremerton tomorrow morning early. I will arrive in Salinas on Saturday afternoon and will be staying at the Super 8 Wyndham. I will have Sunday to clean up my car and do some sightseeing. I plan to drive to the track and see where things are located. I am really looking forward to Monday and a chance to run there. Hope to see some other Vipers there too.

Folks looking forward to running with my fellow Viper brothers and sisters this weekend. A couple of logistic notes:

Camping

Option A: RV/Trailer sites located on site. It's actually managed by the county not the track and can be reserved on site or by calling number located here. Only a few pull through large sites, so reserve early. I think about $35-$45 per night.
    https://www.weathertechraceway.com/n...-now-available

Option B: Trailer parking only through Weathertech Raceway. There's an office onsite in the paddok area near the gaspumps where you can reserve trailer parking on site. It's about $25 per night. Reserve onsite during office hours, generally before 5pm each day or by calling number here.
    https://www.weathertechraceway.com/contact-us

I'll have a garage reserved with a fellow Viper trackmate, however not sure what garage number as the organizers have not released garage assignments I believe. Look for two Gen 5 's, one Black ACR #46 and me a GTS-R Dark Blue Pearl Gen 5 #62. You are all more than welcome to pull up a chair and hangout in our garage between sessions.

As far as paddock parking, I'll have a trailer somewhere near the back rows (out of track etiquette, away from track participants without garages). I'll probably find the Viper trailer folks and leave my trailer and truck wherever you guys are at.

In addition to the track action, there will be an exotics car show and autocross on site that day so parking may be at a premium. Get there early to get the best spots. Look forward to tracking with you all.

Oh BTW, next high 105DB day this year will be Fri. Oct. 11, 2019 with Trackmasters. Looks like you can't sign up yet but mark your calendars.

https://trackmasters-racing.com/inde...s&event_id=320

Enthusiast
    RB, thanks for the heads up regarding 10/11. I was planning to go to BW with Speed Ventures Sat/Sun so maybe do both

As for garage assignments, I saw a note a couple of hours ago saying 5 closest are already reserved, everything else is first come. I’m planning to drop my car and trailer off Sunday, in the rain. Look forward to meeting you. Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast