Enthusiast

Proud new owner of a red 2004

I'm loving the car so far.

Only issue is it has a clunk when I turn the wheel full lock to the left to back in my driveway and has a bit of rattling over bumps. Both noises are from the front right. Any ideas?

image1.jpeg
    image2.jpg
    image3.jpg

The "clunk" is normal. Big wide tires do not like to turn at ultra sharp low speeds. The tires bind and the clunk you hear is when they release to a more neutral position. This may happen more than once in a tight slow speed turn.
    Love the car. My first Viper was a 2004.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the info. I've had ultra wide tires before on other vehicles and this unfortunately doesn't sound like that (The mustang right next to it has 295/30r19 on it). It sounds like a worn suspension component. Also the rattle from the same side as the clunk when traveling over rough surfaces leads me to believe it's not the tires either. It also only does it when turning the wheel full lock to the left and reversing. Not going to the right. And the sound only comes from the front right.

The boots are busted on the sway bar end links so I ordered new links and sway bar bushings so we'll see how that goes when I have time to install them. Upper ball joint boots look busted as well and I'm hoping it's not those making the noise, but it has no play in the front end when using a pry bar to lift up under the tire and having the car jacked up on the lower control arm.
    Last edited by Cheme1985; 08-03-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Enthusiast
    Welcome to the club, good luck with that clunk! Have a hearty bowl of oatmeal!

Enthusiast
    Oatmeal?

Enthusiast
    Nice find, but the license plate frame is hurting my eyes! If you have to run a front plate call Jon B for his foam push on plate holder.

Our first was a red '03 vert, and still is (was) my wife's favorite. Until it spent 3 days under 6.5' of water following hurricane Harvey last year.

Enthusiast
    Yikes! Luckily all we did was get water in the yard during Harvey. Your info says you live in Friendswood. I live a little farther south down 45 off 646.

That motor looks great on yours! I'm planning on pulling the front plate holder off and filling the holes to clean the front up. It's making my eyes water as well. lol

Enthusiast
    Congrats on the new Snake! Hope you find whats making that sound.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheme1985 View Post
    Yikes! Luckily all we did was get water in the yard during Harvey. Your info says you live in Friendswood. I live a little farther south down 45 off 646.

That motor looks great on yours! I'm planning on pulling the front plate holder off and filling the holes to clean the front up. It's making my eyes water as well. lol
    Well Howdy neighbor, Santa Fe is just around the bend. Welcome to the Viper club. The Houston region is pretty active if you care to join, hope to see you out and about.

Agree with BrianACR, noise like that from the front and visible damage needs to be on a lift and looked at asap. Some parking lot clunking from the diff. is normal.

Enthusiast
    There's no damage to the vehicle. It definitely sounds like a suspension component. I was wondering if their are any typical culprits that tend to go bad on these before I have a chance to poke around more underneath it.

Enthusiast
    Clunks could be any joint or the shock. Look for a greasy wet look or mess on the shock. Lift the cars front off the ground try to duplicate how you find the noise (turn lock to lock). Gently cover and take a pry tool around the joints and look for pieces moving in a direction they are not supposed to. Don’t get crazy loose and wore parts are generally obvious.

Shocks blown seem to be somewhat common and can make a clunk even on pretty seemingly smooth surfaces.

Nice car and welcome to the viper community.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013

Welcome to the group. I'm sure you'll enjoy the car - memories of the good old says in my red vert.

You have a good group down there, be sure to join up with club members in your area and join the club. You'll get a lot more out of your car - and can more quickly discern what that clunk is all about.

Have fun out there!

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'm going to drive it up to viper exchange and have them take a look. It's a royal PITA trying to diagnose this on jack stands. lol

Enthusiast
    Just realized that I never updated status on this issue. This issue was resolved ~18 months ago not just now. lol

I hate when I don't see resolution on forum posts when I'm digging.

Got it up on my quickjack and the clunk was from a loose control arm eccentric. Not hand tight loose, just not torqued adequately. Tightened and noise went away. Obv it needed alignment after that. The rattle was from the worn sway bar end links in the front. New Moog branded ones solved that issue.

Enthusiast
    Congrats..

This makes my stomach hurt. Did you save this car and get her back on the road. I know my wife says my red 06 Vert is her favorite too..
    Quote Originally Posted by Slithr View Post
    Nice find, but the license plate frame is hurting my eyes! If you have to run a front plate call Jon B for his foam push on plate holder.

Our first was a red '03 vert, and still is (was) my wife's favorite. Until it spent 3 days under 6.5' of water following hurricane Harvey last year.