Thread: Driver s Door

Enthusiast

Driver s Door

There is a clunking sound when I open my 2014 GTS driver's door about 2/3 open. Passenger side is fine. Any ideas?

Enthusiast
    Not sure if the hinges are the same as earlier gen cars? If they are, just in front of the hinge are two sprung steel plates and there is a metal tab on the door that rolls over the top of the sprung steel plates, the plates may require some white grease, it is known for then to fatigue crack too, the outer sprung plate can drop down to the top of the side sill and if you are unaware it can take a chunk out of the bottom front of the door!

Here's some pics of what Im talking about, (these pics are from my Gen II) as I said you may have a different set up. Hope it helps.

Last edited by Fatboy 18; 08-01-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Enthusiast
    Thanks so much, I’ll check this out

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunliner81 View Post
    There is a clunking sound when I open my 2014 GTS driver's door about 2/3 open. Passenger side is fine. Any ideas?
    I had that too. It sounded like the body panels were rubbing or getting caught. The 1st time to the dealer they greased it but that really didn't do too much. The 2nd time the had a body shop replace the hinge, paint it and rehang the door. Problem solved!

Ron

I had something different, the boss kit for my viper unscrewed and the the boss and bolts would rattle in my door. replaced and locktight solved the problem.

Enthusiast
    My door had a tight spot about 2/3rds open. Just feel alike a slight bind and you can hear a small screech but you can feel more than hear.

Enthusiast
    Both my doors creaked when opening. Hinges were replaced under warranty. After a few months, the creaking came back. The issue with the lithium grease is that you cant spray the back sides of the hinges without taking the door off. Which I really don't want to do.

Enthusiast
    The Gen 5 hinge is very similar to the Gen 2 above. Pics stolen from a Dodge tech on instagram. By the way, the two holes above and below the offending metal are accessible from the door jamb, so have a look at the pics, and spray a thick coating at it as best you can(with a straw you can bend), without taking anything apart.Hinge1.jpgHinge2.jpgHinge3.jpg

Enthusiast
    In the pictures it looks like the hinge leaf springs get dirt spray, which is probably why mine started squeaking again after driving in the rain. Dirty roads here....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    In the pictures it looks like the hinge leaf springs get dirt spray, which is probably why mine started squeaking again after driving in the rain. Dirty roads here....
    Yep...Gen 3/4 cars have a similar setup, with similar issues. I covered it with pics here: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ge-Maintenance

If you drive your car a fair amount, especially in less than ideal weather, you'll want to do that type of maintenance at least once a year.