Slave cylinder replace, any install tips?

Starting this job on my buddies 99 GTS. Typical leaking, clutch pedal went to floor so doing the slave cylinder, Luk clutch, and lightweight flywheel. Also replacing trans fluid with factory spec Syntorq. Have a full height jack for the engine and another for trans. , much easier to stand underneath working! Found the thread from Dave with all the pics on this install, any helpful "tips" would be appreciated, Thanks!IMG_20131021_153145_481.jpgIMG_20131028_212804.jpg
    Last edited by VoodooRob; 10-28-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Exclamation

While your in there, replace the pilot bearing! Trick to getting it out is to fill the end of the crank with wheel bearing grease and then use a rod/bolt the same diameter as your input shaft of the trans. Place the rod/bolt over the pilot bearing hole filled with grease and hit it with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure the grease will generate will walk the bearing right of of the crank! Neat trick! To install the new bearing get a socket the same diameter as the hole in the crank and tap the new bearing into place.

Enthusiast
    What slave cylinder are you using? I may be replacing my master and slave cylinders soon.

The last one I bought from Autozone. Came with a Lifetime replacement warranty.

Enthusiast
    I bought from ebay. Chrysler charged me $650 and ebay was $110. Part numbers (since many places can't find them are on thevipergarage.com and pics on the Transmission How tos there as well)

I did an illustrated upgrade on this job back in 2008/9 so will post again here if you like but give me a couple of days to get organised cos it's a lot of material and over 40 photos including the pilot bearing replacement Chuck talks about above
    Last edited by MADMAX; 10-30-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Wizard: Thank you for the tip on pilot bearing replacement
    Life: Using a Rhino Pac, ordered parts from partsgeek.com
    Rttted: Great, right on!
    Max: Thanks for future posting your write up, the more info the better the outcome

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooRob View Post
    Wizard: Thank you for the tip on pilot bearing replacement
    Life: Using a Rhino Pac, ordered parts from partsgeek.com
    Rttted: Great, right on!
    Max: Thanks for future posting your write up, the more info the better the outcome
    Here you go - this write-up deals with 99% of your slave cylinder job - enjoy
    http://driveviper.com/forums/threads...ted=1#post3050

Great write up, thanks for posting. Did the job over 3 nights after work with total of 7 working hours. I ended up making dowels to fit 4 corners of trans to bell housing. For some reason I just couldnt get the whole assembly to line up and wiggle in place without the dowel guides.Also replaced the pilot bearing, after a 1/2 hr of grease and tapping a dowel, I snapped the edges off the bearing, picked the cage out, and then cut a thin line in the bearing outer race from front to back. That method took less than 5 minutes. Amazing how different the car responds with the lightweight flywheel, I am definitely doing this on my GTS in the spring....before the slave cylinder pops!

I totally understand where you are coming from when you say "dowels to fit 4 corners" - getting the box aligned to go back on is a pain in the arse - it needs to go in almost all the way tilted at an angle 10 degrees anticlockwise so a casting spigot doesn't fowel with the chasis - that's why I needed a second person to help with the re-install.

Glad you got the job done - and in record time - it took me all firkin winter.

Enthusiast
    What did you guys use as dowel guides...aluminum/wood/something else? Did you make them?

I had some round bar stock that I cut into pieces. I apologize I didn't measure outer diameter, suggest taking one of the lower trans mount bolts out to get a measurement.