Enthusiast

AP Tuning in Lebanon PA Viper Wheels amp Tires

So if you're anything like me, you loathe dealing with having tires mounted on nice wheels. It seems that competent tire shops are incredibly hard to find, considering the low rates of charge to the customer and the low rates of pay to the technicians. I live in a smaller city in Pennsylvania and the "best" tire shop in town, where even dealerships send tough wheels, is awful.

Well, I found a shop in Lebanon, PA (near Harrisburg) called Automotive Performance Tuning, and I think that's going to be my new place to go. They are located at 30 S 5th Ave, Lebanon, PA 17042.

It's technically a Volkswagen/Audi/Porsche shop, but they are in possession of a Corghi Master J tire mounting machine. For those who don't know, Corghi makes mounting machines that do not touch the barrel of your wheel at all. They clamp through the center hub and use plastic discs on hydraulic arms to mount and dismount the tire. That's right. No more of those awful internal or external clamps. I didn't know these machines existed until I saw one in action in Forgeline's shop. This is the only type of machine to use on carbon fiber wheels.

Here's a quick video of one in action. I didn't make this video, but it shows the function well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt8zXw-6cPY

Yesterday, I had AP Tuning swap Corsas for Hoosier R7s on my Sidewinder IIs, and also mount and balance a set of Pilot Sport Cup 2s on my Forgeline GTD1-Vipers. It did take them a while, since the technician Ryan had never mounted Hoosiers on a wheel so wide before, but everything came out perfect. He took some extra time being careful. When he was finished, he walked through the bill with me, and also took me back to show little bits of damage I'd had on the wheels that he noticed, in case he was going to get blamed.

I spoke at length with the owner of the shop and he was super nice. He still works a full time job elsewhere and this shop was his hobby that grew into a business. For insurance purposes, they didn't want me hanging around in the shop while they worked, so I don't have my own video of the machine in action.

They do not have the ability to road force balance wheels. Just static & dynamic balance. I've not driven on one of the new sets of tires yet, so we'll see if there's any issue. I don't expect any.

I'll definitely go back there when it's time for more tire work. Check them out!

Good information. I guess I'm lucky - my dealer where my Viper tech is mounted my replacement Corsas, their guy did an excellent job. But Lebanon is not that far a drive for me, so nice to know that's an option.

Enthusiast
    There is a place in York called Nello Tire I've taken my 19" rims and tires to be mounted and I believe they also have the same machine. I always take just my tires and rims tough to be mounted/dismounted.