Gen I Hardtop Headliner Advice Needed

I have a '93 with a hardtop. I have been told the hardtop is a Dodge hardtop, but I don't see any identification information on it. I have attached a picture for reference. The headliner cloth has come unglued and is sagging, just enough to be really annoying. I don't see any obvious way to remove it and re-glue it, and didn't want to damage the top by experimenting with pulling it out. There is some sort of hard panel between the composite (fiberglass?) and the headliner cloth. Does anyone have any insights into how to remove the headliner cloth for repair?

OOPS, forgot the picture. Here it is.

hardtop headliner.jpg

Okay. It appears it probably isn't a Mopar part. The headliner material was glued to a plastic/vinyl piece that was glued to the top. No fasteners of any kind. I got the panel off and the headliner cloth off, but now I need to get the glue off of the plastic piece. Anyone have any ideas on what solvent or what process will remove the adhesive? I really don't look forward to sanding it, but maybe that's what it will have to be.

Any ideas?

Enthusiast
    Depending on the fabric used, you may not need to remove the old glue as the material may cover/smooth/hide any lumps. If the material is too thin, mineral spirits will remove most upholstery adhesives I've seen without softening the plastic. If the glue is old, it may have to soak awhile to soften up. Laying a mineral spirits soaked rag or paper towel on the plastic will work for this. Acetone or lacquer thinner will work too and be faster, but could start eating the plastic. YMMV and test a small area first just to be sure.
    Last edited by Bugman Jeff; 02-16-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Acetone good recommendation. Definitely do test area, but should work. Just do small area at a time.

Thanks Bugman Jeff and Granger73. Nothing else seemed to touch the glue, so I ended up using acetone. Must be some pretty tough glue. As expected, it is messing up the plastic. It still isn't removing all of the glue unless I remove the underlying plastic surface when the acetone melts the plastic. However, it is giving me a decent surface to sand and paint, or onto which I can glue a new fabric.

What a pain.

Take it to a upolstery shop, 1 hr, it's done

Yep. Probably will.