Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    What's the latest Pappy?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    What's the latest Pappy?
    As you know I got slowed up installing the fuel cell. It had the wrong flapper valves in the collector, so I had to wait for the correct ones - NASCAR billet aluminum with O-rings. I am finishing up a little fiberglass/carbon work installing a fuel filler door in the trunk lid so I don't have to open the rear deck lid every time I refuel. Still hope to finish this thing this summer.

56 Corvette Fuel Safe 1.jpg56 Corvette Fuel Safe 2.jpg[

Then I went to Sonoma to watch a buddy's new TTU, tube-chassis, LS-powered TTU car. It was a combined TransAM/NASA event and the field was packed. I saw a couple of Vipers - one Comp Coupe and a white Gen V.

TTU Mustang.jpg

Pappy

Enthusiast
    Post pics of the pics of the custom fuel filler through the trunk!

Enthusiast
    Post pics of the pics of the custom fuel filler through the trunk!
    Hey Cable. Here's a construction shot. With the wing on the deck lid with supports that go through to the frame, I didn't want to have to open the deck lid every time I refueled, so I put a door in the deck lid above the fuel receptacle. The "shield" on the bottom of the deck lid keeps spilled fuel from going into the trunk.

Pappy

56 Corvette Trunk 8.jpg

Enthusiast
    Very cool!

Enthusiast
    Update. Finally got the motor moved back as far as I could and still have a space for a driver - #1 plug is 19" behind the front axle centerline. Rebuilt the frame X-member to accommodate the set-back, movement of the motor to the right, and the rear-mount starter. Mark Williams built a really nice 18" 7075 aluminum drive shaft. Firewall, Tilton 900-series pedals, and Woodward steering shaft going back in this week. I also added an OMP HTE-R Carbon seat. Making some progress.

Pappy

56 Corvette X-member 6.jpg

56 Corvette Driveshaft 2.jpg

Enthusiast
    We need more updates and pics Pappy!!!!

Enthusiast
    Switched from StopTechs to AP Racing brakes. Ryan Linder is finishing up the headers (SS, 2.25" tubes, SPD merge collectors). This coronavirus thing isn't all that bad - traps folks, myself included, in the garage - maybe I'll get something done. I had to add a gantry crane to the garage - the motor is now so far back that a boom engine hoist won't reach.

Pappy

Header 12.jpg

Header 11.jpg

Header 10.jpg

Engine Hoist.jpg
    Last edited by Pappy; 03-18-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Switched from StopTechs to AP Racing brakes. Ryan Linder is finishing up the headers (SS, 2.25" tubes, SPD merge collectors). This coronavirus thing isn't all that bad - traps folks, myself included, in the garage - maybe I'll get something done. I had to add a gantry crane to the garage - the motor is now so far back that a boom engine hoist won't reach.

Pappy
    WOW! Works of art!!

Enthusiast
    WOW! Works of art!!
    Thanks! They look even better welded up.

Header 13.jpg

Header 14.jpg

Enthusiast
    These should stop it! Finspeed is building me a second set of wheels. Had to use a Corvette DP forging on the rear to get the backspacing I needed.

Pappy

AP Brakes Front.jpg

AP Brakes Rear.jpg

Finspeed Wheel Rear.jpg

Enthusiast
    Can't wait until this is done Pappy!!!!

Enthusiast
    Got a 6XD sequential on order. I am going to stay with a stick shifter with the hi-res load cell for WOT shifts for a while - might consider a paddle upgrade later. X-ineering will do the integration with my MoTec ECU. JJ Furillo (Ultimate Performance Speed Shop) is building my JRI shock/spring package. Should have them in a week or so. Also decided to sell my OMP seats (HTE-R carbon and WRC-R carbon). The head support on the HTE-R is just a little wide for my roll cage causing me to lose a couple of inches of leg room. I will probably contact TKO and see what they have available. Looks like I could get this thing finished by late fall.

Pappy

Enthusiast
    A couple of new things. I got my JRi shocks - Pac spring bump stops and 550# springs for a starting point. I also got the BMW throttle drive motor installed. It hooks to the Wilson TB with conventional linkage and is controlled by a GM DBW throttle. That allows me to get an ignition cut for WOT, no-clutch upshifts and a "smart" auto-blip through the MoTec ECU for no-clutch downshifts.

Pappy

JRi Shocks.jpg

DBW Throttle Drive Motor.jpg

Enthusiast
    6XD sequential transmission initial install. Rear-mounted starter cleared just fine (had some initial concern). Since my motor was pushed back so far, the normal shifter would not work - too far back. RTS provided me with a prototype C6 shifter that I could install further forward. Built brackets off a frame crossmember. Need to install the heim'd shift rod from the shifter to the back of the transmission. Mark Williams is building a new driveshaft since the one for the Tremec I took out was a little short. My MoTec harness is currently being modified to accommodate the shift load sensor, gear position indicator, and DBW throttle so I get an ignition cut for WOT, no-lift upshifts and no-clutch downshifts.

Pappy

Shifter Mount 1.jpg

Shifter Mount 3.jpg

Enthusiast
    Come on Viper, show me what you got.....

Motor Install 4.jpg

Pappy

Edit: It fit....barely.

Motor Install 10.jpg

Motor Install 11.jpg
    Last edited by Pappy; 05-10-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Enthusiast
    Holy mother mary of God! LOL! Badass!!!!!! When does it fire up?????

Enthusiast
    Seat from TKO Motorsports going in.

Seat TKO 4.jpg

Seat TKO 1.jpg

What an awesome build. Love it. Hope you get it on the track soon!

Enthusiast
    I forgot all about this thread...

Pappy, what's the completion ETA?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    I forgot all about this thread...

Pappy, what's the completion ETA?
    I'm getting close to getting it on a chassis dyno to finish setting up the drive-by-wire throttle and ignition-cut/auto-blip for the sequential, as well as a final engine tune. Then I need to clean up some of the aero and some cosmetic stuff. I hope to get out to the new "Paddock" track with Cable for test-and-tune this Spring. Since everything is virtually brand new and untested, there will be a lot of break-in and chassis tuning to do. Getting close.

Enthusiast
    I'm getting close to getting it on a chassis dyno to finish setting up the drive-by-wire throttle and ignition-cut/auto-blip for the sequential, as well as a final engine tune. Then I need to clean up some of the aero and some cosmetic stuff. I hope to get out to the new "Paddock" track with Cable for test-and-tune this Spring. Since everything is virtually brand new and untested, there will be a lot of break-in and chassis tuning to do. Getting close.
    This is exciting, thanks for posting progress pictures. Definitely looking forward to how you end up with it!

I'm looking into ignition cut/auto-blip for my VCC. Not a lot of options for a mechanical throttle body.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    This is exciting, thanks for posting progress pictures. Definitely looking forward to how you end up with it!

I'm looking into ignition cut/auto-blip for my VCC. Not a lot of options for a mechanical throttle body.
    Ignition cut is not a problem, but for the auto-blip I ended up adding a BMW throttle drive motor to my Wilson Dominator throttle body. I did see a couple of stand-alone auto-blip systems that use a separate, programmable solenoid on the mechanical linkage to activate a throttle blip. The ignition cut is essential to enable WOT, no-lift shifts with a sequential, but as far as I am concerned the auto-blip for down-shifts is a nice-to-have. Heel-toe works and you are off the throttle, so speed of the downshift doesn't really affect lap times like the up-shift does.

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
    What a magnificent effort. Truly amazing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast