Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Save the Viper Keep up with the quot Jones s quot

The only way I was going to keep up with the "Jones's", (AKA AZ) with my ACR was to mod it heavily and beat it to death, so I decided to finish an old track car project to preserve the Viper. Basically, it is a 56 Corvette body (stop laughing until you hear the rest) on a sophisticated, high-travel/low-roll fabricated suspension, 515 inch all aluminum BBC moved back 14 inches, 335/18 and 345/18 tires/wheels, big StopTechs. lots of aero mods and carbon fiber, and hopefully weighing in at 2600# dry. I am replacing my current IRS with a Detroit Speed DecaLink (for strength) and Larry's Engine and Marine (known for his offshore BBC race motors) is building a stout BBC: big bore/short stroke aluminum Brodix (4.6 bore/3.875 stroke), Calles crank and rods, 13:1 JE's, Comp Cams solid roller, TD shaft rockers, Daily billet dry sump, and a Hogan fabricated sequential injection intake system. Shane Tecklenburg is integrating the MoTec ECU (computer, sensors, injectors, harness, tune) and AZ convinced me to add a stand-alone BMW ABS system which will provide inputs to the MoTec for traction control, if I decide to go that way. The clutch is a Tilton triple-disk carbon assembly and I have a TKO 600 extreme built by American Speed (rated for 950 ft/lbs) with a .82 fifth gear. Should be a ball.

Pappy

56 and 62.jpg
    56 Corvette Decalink 2.jpg
    56 Corvette Tilton.jpg
    Sweet Rack.jpg
    56 rear.JPG

That is a very cool project. Great compromise!!!
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Enthusiast
    Nice to see that car come together, especially with such a top quality build!

Badass! Can't wait to see the finished project and hear how you like it on track!

Enthusiast
    That's gonna be nasty!

Enthusiast
    A few parts starting to roll in.

Pappy

56 Corvette Dailey Dry Sump.JPG

56 Corvette Hogan Intake.JPG

I knew your engine builder, Larry, forty years ago when we drag raced boats on the Colorado river. A very nice guy and great engine builder. Wow I suddenly feel old.

Enthusiast
    Motor progress.

Pappy

Motor 2.jpgMotor 1.jpgMotor 6.jpg

Enthusiast
    Who says you can't put a 12 inch wheel with a 335 on the front of an old C-1 Corvette? Wheels came in today - Forgeline GA-3Rs, 18X12 front, 18X12.5 rear.

Pappy

56 Corvette Forgelines.jpg

Enthusiast
    335 and 345 Hoosier R-7s mounted on Forgeline 12 and 12.5 inch wheels.

Pappy

56 Corvette Forgelines Front 3.jpg

56 Corvette Forgelines Front 4.jpg

56 Corvette Forgeline Rear.jpg

Enthusiast
    Just needs the harness and a dyno run....

Pappy

56 Corvette BB1.jpg56 Corvette BB2.jpg

Enthusiast
    Badass Pappy! I didn't even know you were doing this thread until today! When is the dyno?

Enthusiast
    The harness for the Motec ECU was finished and shipped last Thursday. Shane T. is doing the tune. We might be able to get the motor on the dyno this week. In the meantime I am finishing the install of the Detroit Speed multi-link rear suspension (Decalink) - that will complete the suspension.

Pappy

56 Corvette Decalink install 3.jpg

56 Corvette Decalink install 8.jpg

Enthusiast
    So what are we talking here, 2700 lbs, 750whp? That's the feeling I get! hehe. Next time I see your wife I need to remind her to up your life insurance

Enthusiast
    I love the color of the Forgelines, what color do they call that?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Vipers View Post
    I love the color of the Forgelines, what color do they call that?
    Satin Gunmetal. I talked to Forgeline about "titanium", but they told me that rubber sticks to that coating, and that the satin gunmetal was more forgiving and easier to clean. We'll see what the motor makes, but should be around 850 at the crank, so 750 whp is possible. It is a big bore (4.6 "), short stroke (3.875") 515 C.I. 13:1 race gas motor with a big road race solid roller and sequential injection on a Motec, so it should make good power for a NA motor. As for weight, with all the changes (aluminum motor, light weight Tilton clutch assembly, and probably a heavier rear suspension set-up) I've kind-of lost the bubble. I'm hoping for 26-2700 lbs dry, but 2800 would not surprise me.

Enthusiast
    Short update. Still working on installing the new rear suspension. A couple of progress photos attached. Getting closer to hunting a 9-liter in Arizona - LOL.

Pappy

56 Corvette DSE 9.jpg

56 Corvette DSE 12.jpg

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Short update. Still working on installing the new rear suspension. A couple of progress photos attached. Getting closer to hunting a 9-liter in Arizona - LOL.

Pappy

56 Corvette DSE 9.jpg

56 Corvette DSE 12.jpg
    Badass Pappy!!!! Can't wait to see this badboy fire up!!!!!

Awesome project, my all time favorites are the 56 and 57 Vettes. Can’t wait to see it at the track!

Marty

Enthusiast
    Finally got the motor on the dyno. 852.71 peak HP @ 7100 rpm, 685 peak torque @ 5900 rpm. Should be enough.

Pappy

Motor on dyno 3 (2).jpg

Enthusiast
    That is Really cool build! With all that Aero in the rear, what are you going to use in the front to hold the nose down?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by steve911 View Post
    That is Really cool build! With all that Aero in the rear, what are you going to use in the front to hold the nose down?
    It has an air dam, splitter with tunnels, belly pan, and there are diffuser tunnels outside the frame rails but inside the rockers. Here is an early photo of the air dam, but I have since changed the splitter configuration - made it larger and added tunnels underneath. Since I moved the motor even further back (out of necessity to deconflict the lower control arms and the dry sump pump), I am also now able to vent the radiator upward out the hood, which should help.

Pappy

56 splitter.JPG

Enthusiast
    Here is the dyno sheet for the new motor. The AFR was a little fat, especially from 3500-4500, and the timing was only at 34 degrees, so there is a little more to gain with tune. I'll look at that once I get it installed and on the chassis dyno.

Pappy

56 Corvette Dyno.jpg

Enthusiast
    For anyone looking into a fuel cell, I highly recommend Fuel Safe. They custom built this one for me to my specs, and it came out exactly as ordered. Scott at Fuel Safe was very responsive. The cell is 19+ gallons with a 1.76 gallon fuel trap for road racing. It is FIA certified and has a .063" aluminum powder coated can, pro bladder, internal Aeromotive A1000 pump, -10 outlet, -8 return with a Setrab fuel cooler built into the return line, and a -12 vent with roll-over protection. Forced cooling air comes from side scoops to the fuel and differential coolers. One step closer to getting on track.

Pappy

56 Corvette Fuel Cell 1.jpg

56 Corvette Fuel Cooler 2.jpg

56 Corvette Fuel Cooler 3.jpg

56 Corvette Trunk 4.jpg

Super bad ass Pappy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast